Page 115 of 118 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 1757

Thread: Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    So happy for her, but this by no means her problems are solved. A coaching change is still in order. It is nice to see though, that she has a habit of peaking after Nationals, so if she ever makes the world/Olympic team she should do well.

Custom Title
    I'm excited for Caroline and Amanda Dobbs too! They both did really well, and in Amanda's case, not having a lutz and struggling with the flip doesn't seem to be preventing her from getting good scores! So excited to see them next season

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    So happy for her, but this by no means her problems are solved. A coaching change is still in order. It is nice to see though, that she has a habit of peaking after Nationals, so if she ever makes the world/Olympic team she should do well.
    But if she can't skate well up to and including Nationals, especially with Flatt and now seemingly the emergence of Nagasu and Wagner, she'll be hard pressed to make a World/Olympic team.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    But if she can't skate well up to and including Nationals, especially with Flatt and now seemingly the emergence of Nagasu and Wagner, she'll be hard pressed to make a World/Olympic team.
    I think Christina will be a strong podium contender at Nats next season. There are others to consider as well. Let's hope Mirai and Rachael can get back the three spots which will make all of us a little happier

Custom Title
    Well, this Olympic team is chosen, so she needs to worry about next season. I'm pretty sure she has a good chance of getting 2 Grand Prix assignments with this medal. Mirai should be tough next season. As for Rachael, it looks like the puberty monster did a passover. If she gets taller, wider and heavier, her skating will suffer.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I think Christina will be a strong podium contender at Nats next season. There are others to consider as well. Let's hope Mirai and Rachael can get back the three spots which will make all of us a little happier
    She did well this year but I'm not ready to annoint her as The Next Big One just yet. Although she came in 5th, she was quite a distance behind 4th in point total, let alone the top 3. Still, this might mean she will get some senior GPs next fall.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Well, this Olympic team is chosen, so she needs to worry about next season. I'm pretty sure she has a good chance of getting 2 Grand Prix assignments with this medal. Mirai should be tough next season. As for Rachael, it looks like the puberty monster did a passover. If she gets taller, wider and heavier, her skating will suffer.
    Ugh, I HATE the term "puberty monster". Oh noes, it's gonna stomp over and eat her!

Flatt is 17; she already has a normal, healthy build to her (she's not a stick figure like most other skaters). The one thing she has to worry about long-term is staying healthy (one has to wonder whether all those 3-3's will catch up to her at some point??) And if she lucks into an Oly medal, who knows if she'll even stick around or keep up her competitiveness since she seems to be aiming for college. As for Nagasu, those URs will continue to kill her unless either the scoring system is modified to penalize them less, or she fixes them. If she can fix them though, I seriously think she can contend with the best in the world.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Joesitz's comment that she's a smoldering volcano waiting to explode is interesting. For me, she's like a smoldering volcano waiting to expire. I just don't have a good feeling about her skating. I look back on her juniors skates and see all the seeds of her present issues there. It's not that she changed... it's that she didn't. What worked for her as a tiny tot just doesn't do it any more.

We'll see who's correct. I wish her the best but don't foresee much of a future unless she makes some big changes. But congrats on 4cc podium! She seems to like that competition.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

IN article on the podium finishers. I posted it in the 4CC thread but thought I would post it here too because there are some nice quotes from Caroline.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I tend to think Rachael, Caroline, and Mirai are all through the biggest of physical changes. Their weight might shift a little bit but I don't expect any of them to grow taller or gain much weight at this point. Christina is the one we will have to watch and see if her jumps stay with her once she grows. I guess she is almost 16 and may be naturally stick thin, I have no fears that she will get heavy, she might just end up taller than ideal for a skater. I don't know how tall she is now but I think it gets harder for skaters once they reach 5'6" or 5'7", or at least Carolina, Alexe, Kiira seem to struggle with inconsistency and are all around that height. 5'5" is fine though that's what Yuna and a lot of other ladies are and it seems like a good height for skating, and judging by how much Christina physically resembles Yuna at a young age, she will probably end up being built like Yuna once she matures. Her jumps are super solid though so even if she does get really tall it might not matter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Joesitz's comment that she's a smoldering volcano waiting to explode is interesting. For me, she's like a smoldering volcano waiting to expire. I just don't have a good feeling about her skating. I look back on her juniors skates and see all the seeds of her present issues there. It's not that she changed... it's that she didn't. What worked for her as a tiny tot just doesn't do it any more.

We'll see who's correct. I wish her the best but don't foresee much of a future unless she makes some big changes. But congrats on 4cc podium! She seems to like that competition.
    I concur with RD and Spun Silver; a performance like this at 4CC keeps Caroline in the 6 - 10 placement range at Nationals. However, nothing about this performance says that she can break the top 5 at Nats. Unless she matures to a senior skater with solid jump technique, sophisticated stroking and transitions, the bottom of the top 10 is where she will stay.

I do think she WANTS to make progress in all those areas mentioned above, but she doesn't have the resources to accomplish it (i.e. the willingness to relearn the basics and work with a different coach.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    I concur with RD and Spun Silver; a performance like this at 4CC keeps Caroline in the 6 - 10 placement range at Nationals. However, nothing about this performance says that she can break the top 5 at Nats. Unless she matures to a senior skater with solid jump technique, sophisticated stroking and transitions, the bottom of the top 10 is where she will stay.

I do think she WANTS to make progress in all those areas mentioned above, but she doesn't have the resources to accomplish it (i.e. the willingness to relearn the basics and work with a different coach.)
    Add my voice of agreement to these posters. And another thing: even if she took a rest for 2-3 months to take care of her injuries, and then started with a different coach to work on jump technique issues, it's going to take a LONG time to rework things. Given that she has had bad jump habits for so long, it's not going to be a matter of fix-it-over-the-summer, then be good to go for next season. Usually, when you have to relearn basic jumping again at this level, things get worse before they get better, and you lose jumps completely in the transition. It may take a full year or more to put things on the right track again, given that Caroline has multiple problems with jumps--it's not just a matter of fixing just one jump. All this rework is going to be tough to do, while simultaneously trying to practice and compete programs. I still maintain that unless she takes next season off from competitive skating (except perhaps Nationals), she is not going to give herself and a new coach a real chance at fixing the technique issues.

Custom Title
    But there's also the issue of funding. Figure skating is expensive and I'll bet Arutunian is going to be, if anything, an increase in tuition for Caroline. I agree it would probably be best if she could just work on stroking, edges, etc. but I just don't know how many skaters could afford a top coach and not perform in shows or compete on the international circuit. She probably needs even more hours of one on one coaching than is the norm..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Add my voice of agreement to these posters.
    Add my voice of only partial agreement. Caroline's poor season is not due to her poor technique. She had the same poor technique last season when she won bronze at Nationals, beat Team USA at 4CC, and won $30,000 at World Team Trophy. This poor season is due to other factors.

OK, now with that said, she does have problems that need to be worked out. How long that will take, I have no idea. Whether she needs a new coach, I have no idea. Regardless, there is no point in taking next season off. She has no bye, so if she wants to go to nationals, she must either do the Grand Prix or regionals / sectionals. If she competes and gets beat, so what? That's better than not competing at all. She needs to put her new jumps in front of the judges as soon as possible.
    Last edited by PolymerBob; 01-29-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Rinkside
    i have found caroline's lp i think her jumps look better this time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOkkpgnKCbo

Page 115 of 118 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 LastLast