Page 116 of 118 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,740 of 1757

Thread: Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

Quote Originally Posted by fong View Post
    i have found caroline's lp i think her jumps look better this time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aokkpgnkcbo
    thank you! (:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by fong View Post
    i have found caroline's lp i think her jumps look better this time
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOkkpgnKCbo
    Thanks so much for providing this link! It's worth watching just to see her big smile when she gets her score in the kiss and cry.

Watching her in Nationals and again here, I realize how beautiful her arms are, and her upper body positions. Her shoulders are open and graceful, and her back is beautifully straight without being at all stiff. I do hope she manages to fix whatever ails her jumps and remains in skating, because she has a wonderful presence on the ice. This music from the Nutcracker suits her really well: she gives it warmth as well as grace.

One problem with being a skating fan is that one gets to like the skaters and hates to see them go through bad times, either on the ice or off. It was the same thing with Kimmie. I never thought she was a heart-stopping skater, but she's such a nice kid and such a sunny performer that watching her fall down through the rankings was a real distress. Same with Zhang, whom we've watched since she was--what, thirteen? The fact is that all of the skaters work harder than most of us could imagine, and at an age when most of us could barely manage to do our homework. I hate to see such determination and labor go unrewarded. I do hope Caroline pulls herself and her technique together and barrels up the ladder, so that she has a satisfying skating career.

Medal Ceremony (Snippet):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzInX0bbMQ

Look at the smile on her face. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Thanks so much for providing this link! It's worth watching just to see her big smile when she gets her score in the kiss and cry.

Watching her in Nationals and again here, I realize how beautiful her arms are, and her upper body positions. Her shoulders are open and graceful, and her back is beautifully straight without being at all stiff. I do hope she manages to fix whatever ails her jumps and remains in skating, because she has a wonderful presence on the ice. This music from the Nutcracker suits her really well: she gives it warmth as well as grace.

One problem with being a skating fan is that one gets to like the skaters and hates to see them go through bad times, either on the ice or off. It was the same thing with Kimmie. I never thought she was a heart-stopping skater, but she's such a nice kid and such a sunny performer that watching her fall down through the rankings was a real distress. Same with Zhang, whom we've watched since she was--what, thirteen? The fact is that all of the skaters work harder than most of us could imagine, and at an age when most of us could barely manage to do our homework. I hate to see such determination and labor go unrewarded. I do hope Caroline pulls herself and her technique together and barrels up the ladder, so that she has a satisfying skating career.
    Great post. ITA

Thanks for the links. Speaking for myself only and as a Caroline fan I am just happy for her that she did well and medaled. Most of Caroline's' fans know what her weaknesses are and one medal at an International competition does not erase the fact that she has poor technicque and something needs to change. Nice to read upbeat posts about Caroline for a change instead of the usual "poor Caroline".

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    It is SO nice to see her happy again. She seemed happy all through her freeskate, so much more loose and expressive than at Nationals where you could tell she was thinking "don't fall" during the entire skate, and her PCS suffered. Finally seeing her happily surprised with her score instead of frustrated and angry was heartwarming.
    During the medal ceremony she looked happier than Mao, who most of the time seemed to be thinking of what she has to do now.

Down With It
    I think the stress of the Oly year might have contributed. Now that she is a far cry from the Olympic or World Team, that burden on her must have been lifted.

Still, if she wants to make her way back up, a major move needs to be made.

It is nice to see her smile but her skating just looks so painful. If she wants to improve she really needs to commit to fixing her technique on her lutz and flip- even if it means falling on every attempt for a year or so. If you pause her entry going into her lutz it is probably the worst position I have seen. I have no idea what her coaches were thinking in allowing this technique to continue for so long!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    It is nice to see her smile but her skating just looks so painful. If she wants to improve she really needs to commit to fixing her technique on her lutz and flip- even if it means falling on every attempt for a year or so. If you pause her entry going into her lutz it is probably the worst position I have seen. I have no idea what her coaches were thinking in allowing this technique to continue for so long!
    What bothered me this year as much as her jump technique was her inability to get into the programs and perform. Without good jump technique, she won't ever make it into the top ranks. But if she lets her nerves stop her from performing her programs, she won't be able to engage the audience, which is also very bad, I would say.

Custom Title
    I missed that smile. It was good to see her happy again.
    Last edited by PolymerBob; 01-30-2010 at 11:26 PM.

The entire 4CC exhibition is here:
    http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Fig.../ID=1400174894

You can actually scroll back and forth to wherever, and it loads from there -- much nicer than Icenetwork's setup.

Caroline skates her Lullaby for a Stormy Night program, which I like better than The Climb. She did two 3R's, no 3F as she usually does, the jump must have been bothering her lately. Also no pearl or haircut or biellman. I think her back must be bothering her... But she does some nice spins anyway. And it's lovely to see her skate in exhibitions -- she's much more relaxed and musical, and relates to the audience a lot better.

I hope that her back heals and we'll see a return of her pearl, that's one very special spin!

^^Thank you so much feraina. You are the best!!!

Tripping on the Podium
    it seems her back is reli painful when shes doin the ina bauer !

Custom Title Charlotte Elizabeth's Avatar
    Caroline was magical in that exhibition!
    If only she could be as expressive in the competition.
    And I wish her quik recovery from her back injury...
    Of course we miss her pearl spin and hope it will come back next season, it would be a great shame to lose this magnificient element.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I actually don't mind if I never see that pearl spin again. The first time I saw it, I think I posted about my concern about the damage it could do to young backs. Now it seems Caroline's back is indeed feeling those effects. If not now, it will later.

She's done the spin. It's on video for posterity. Now let her recover and save herself from worse problems in her skating (and post-skating) future.

If she's really good (as in competitive for international podiums), she doesn't need the pearl. If not, it won't help her.

Page 116 of 118 FirstFirst ... 16 66 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 LastLast