Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

R.D.

Record Breaker
This is certainly not meant to be an official announcement or anything like it, but I have heard that Charlene Wong has been sighted at Champs Champ, and so you can draw your own conclusions...

which brings up a valid point: do skaters' coaches also attend this camp? I thought it was the skaters only.

L

LKR722

Picky point: The specific reason or circumstances for Wagner's 6-month suspension was never officially announced or published, and so I would have included "allegedly" in your sentence since it technically is hearsay information.

You are correct. I edited my post to phrase it more appropriately. Sorry about that.

janetfan

Match Penalty
which brings up a valid point: do skaters' coaches also attend this camp? I thought it was the skaters only.

I have no idea what the rules about coaches attending this camp might be. But with all of the good young skaters there it certainly makes sense that coaches would be there - or close by - especially if interviews have been pre-arranged.

Andalusia

Final Flight
This is certainly not meant to be an official announcement or anything like it, but I have heard that Charlene Wong has been sighted at Champs Champ, and so you can draw your own conclusions...

Thanks.

I'm almost 100% sure Caroline's new coach will be Charlene.

Don Laws entered the discussion because of the rumour that Caroline might be headed to Florida, but I seriously doubted she would move that far away anyways. Don Laws doesn't seem to be doing much coaching these days, too; I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Chan is his only student. He probably took Patrick on because Patrick used to be Osborne Colson's ward. If Caroline were headed to Florida, it's far more likely she would go to someone like Richard Callaghan, who seems to be more of a full-time active coach.

So, C+C. I'm disappointed, to be honest. I know it's not fair to Charlene, but I can't help feeling that Caroline is receiving a hand-me-down.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I am. Charlene is not coaching any of the other skaters there that I know of. either Caroline is working with her now of she is still representing Mirai. Mirai will not offically start with Frank until the 14th and Frank has been at the Toyota Center all week. So if everybody is required to have a coach there....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Don worked with Michael Weiss for a time, and I think he still consults with him from time to time... He's supposedly expressed interest/support in Keegan Messing, too. *shrugs*

feraina

Record Breaker
I am. Charlene is not coaching any of the other skaters there that I know of. either Caroline is working with her now of she is still representing Mirai. Mirai will not offically start with Frank until the 14th and Frank has been at the Toyota Center all week. So if everybody is required to have a coach there....

Hum, so Charlene could be there to represent Mirai as her last official duty?

I don't know, I hope it's not Charlene. But if it is, then I still wish Caroline & Charlene the best of luck and a very successful season.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Frank Carroll has been sighted at Champs Camp as well (coaches were scheduled to arrive on Friday, I believe).

Andalusia

Final Flight

I'm pretty sure Evan would be at Champs Camp, so wouldn't Frank be there alongside him? In that case, Frank could be there representing both Evan and Mirai. I somehow don't think Charlene would be there to accompany Mirai as a last official duty or anything like that. Just doesn't seem likely.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not sure why some folks are so quick to assign coaches to skaters. I'll wait until an OFFICIAL announcement, personally.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure Evan would be at Champs Camp, so wouldn't Frank be there alongside him? In that case, Frank could be there representing both Evan and Mirai. I somehow don't think Charlene would be there to accompany Mirai as a last official duty or anything like that. Just doesn't seem likely.

Is Evan there? I have seen no pics of him. Frank was working at the rink on friday so I doubt that he is going to Colorado.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Is Evan there? I have seen no pics of him. Frank was working at the rink on friday so I doubt that he is going to Colorado.

Well, Johnny is at Champs Camp and we've seen no pics of him, so perhaps the big guns get a pass from making funny faces in IN pics. :laugh: We know for sure that Frank is there, as per Sylvia's confirmation.

I think we can now say with some certainty that Charlene is Caroline's new coach. Why else would Charlene be at Champs Camp unless she's involved in the seminars or is picking up coaching tips or something. Charlene as the new coach also fits in with what hmmm....so posted earlier in the thread.

I think it's interesting that Mirai has moved on to Frank Carroll, and Caroline has moved on to Charlene Wong.

pippa

Rinkside
Well, Johnny is at Champs Camp and we've seen no pics of him, so perhaps the big guns get a pass from making funny faces in IN pics. :laugh: We know for sure that Frank is there, as per Sylvia's confirmation.

Johnny didn't arrive at Champs Camp until Friday afternoon because he attended the New York premiere of his film on Thursday night, so that is most likely why he is not in the photos that icenetwork posted so far from Friday. I don't know when Evan arrived, but I would bet they will both be featured in photos from today or tomorrow when icenetwork gets them posted.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Thanks for the info, pippa.

Come to think of it, I don't recall the really big names appearing in any of the previous Champs Camp pics posted on IN.

I think attending Champs Camp is almost mandatory for all the skaters, big or small, or else Johnny would've skipped it if he could've. I guess even the rebels have to stroke the USFSA's back every once in awhile.

Nigel

On the Ice
Picky point: The specific reason or circumstances for Wagner's 6-month suspension was never officially announced or published, and so I would have included "allegedly" in your sentence since it technically is hearsay information.

IIRC, it was posted in the PSA magazine a few months ago.

LeCygne

Final Flight
I think it's interesting that Mirai has moved on to Frank Carroll, and Caroline has moved on to Charlene Wong.

I don't know, I still really don't think Caroline would go to Mirai's old coach. Charlene doesn't have any younger skaters in the junior/novice ranks?

Andalusia

Final Flight
I don't know, I still really don't think Caroline would go to Mirai's old coach. Charlene doesn't have any younger skaters in the junior/novice ranks?

That would take some time to research, but all signs are pointing to Charlene as Caroline's new coach. I'd be pleased if it turns out I'm jumping the gun.

I'm uncertain about Charlene's coaching ability because Mirai was underrotating even as a junior. Plus, she hasn't coached anyone of note and, AFAIK, isn't well-known as a technical coach. Mirai had sterling qualities even before she went to Charlene as well. I don't know; maybe Caroline and her folks wanted another Chinese coach?

If it's true that Caroline likes to stick within her comfort zone and keep things status quo (as per FSU), I guess Charlene would be a good fit for her. That LP which is to be choreographed next week will surely be done by Lori Nichol now. :biggrin:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I don't see why not. Maybe she always has her eye on Charlene, but didn't think it was right going to the coach of her closest competitor. Now that Mirai made the move, Caroline can go to the coach she wanted. Charlene is a very smart woman and an excellent coach, very devoted to her skaters, but with a tell-it-like-it-is attitude. I can't wait to see the official announcement.