Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    :chorus:

I just thought of something. If Caroline is the tallest skater at TEB (I think) she'll be able to psych out all the other skaters in practices and warmups! Listen up, you shrimps - don't mess with Big Mama!

Caroline may still be growing - but she needs atleast another year to catch Caro K who is 5'7. And speaking of warmups - does anyone think Sasha may revert to her earlier years and buzz a few skaters during warmups this season :

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    And speaking of warmups - does anyone think Sasha may revert to her earlier years and buzz a few skaters during warmups this season :
    That would be pushing her luck.

Custom Title
    Caroline may still be growing - but she needs atleast another year to catch Caro K who is 5'7. And speaking of warmups - does anyone think Sasha may revert to her earlier years and buzz a few skaters during warmups this season :
    Re: Sasha: Doubtful. Sasha seems to have grown up and matured, and anyways--were those allegations even true? I assumed they were sort of like SBS' ridiculous accusations of Japanese skaters disturbing Yu-Na's warm-ups.

As for Caroline, I can't help but be a bit pessimistic and say that her difficult GP events will probably leave her off the Olympic team as I doubt she will be able to make the GPF. BUT I hope Caroline will make me eat my words and prove me wrong. In any case, Caroline will definitely be the skater to watch in 2014.

^ I have watched Sasha warm up quite a few times, and she did often find herself going against the flow of the other skaters. I think it was because she was so intensely focused on her own preparation.

About Caroline making the 2010 Olympic team -- no problem. Caroline gets 8th at TEB behind Kim, Asada, Kostner, Nakano, Gedevanishvili, Korpi and Cohen, and then she and Rachael go 1-2 at U.S. nationals -- a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Re: Sasha: Doubtful. Sasha seems to have grown up and matured, and anyways--were those allegations even true? I assumed they were sort of like SBS' ridiculous accusations of Japanese skaters disturbing Yu-Na's warm-ups.

As for Caroline, I can't help but be a bit pessimistic and say that her difficult GP events will probably leave her off the Olympic team as I doubt she will be able to make the GPF. BUT I hope Caroline will make me eat my words and prove me wrong. In any case, Caroline will definitely be the skater to watch in 2014.

There was a clip around of Sasha buzzing Michelle at 98 Nats. Also an article with Michelle and a few of the other skaters talking about Sasha's warmup harrassments. I believe it is true coz I saw the clip and Sasha did not ewven try to hide it. Naturally, Michelle skated well and won and Sasha messed up, fell, etc. Usually the skater concentrating on her program wins and the one concentrating on disrupting other skaters loses. Ask Surya .

As to Caroline's GP"s.....it will only be a very small factor in determining her fate. If she wins Natls she goes to Vancouver. If she comes second she probably goes. Only 3rd place finish from Sasha might bump Caroline from Olympics and it would not be popular if that happened.
    Nationals is - was - and most likely always will be the ticket to Worlds and Olympics.

Custom Title
    Caroline may still be growing - but she needs atleast another year to catch Caro K who is 5'7.
    Alexe Gilles, who will make her Senior GP debut at TEB, supposedly stands 5'7" without her skates.

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Yes, she was at TEB last year. And she skated two clean programs (well, except both 3-3 downgraded).
    Didn't Caroline pop the 2A in her SP at TEB?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-01-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Didn't Caroline pop the 2A in her SP at TEB?
    Oh, you're right, she did. But Mao popped the loop in the combo, and also popped the solo lutz, and still beat Caroline in the SP. Joannie also fell on her 3F and had no combo (and won the SP). So both made worse mistakes than Caroline, since they popped more valuable jumps.

Anyway, the point was that Caroline attempted and landed more triples than Mao and ended up losing both the SP and LP.

Re: Sasha: Doubtful. Sasha seems to have grown up and matured, and anyways--were those allegations even true? I assumed they were sort of like SBS' ridiculous accusations of Japanese skaters disturbing Yu-Na's warm-ups. .

Here is a link to USA Today article about Sasha's misadventures during 98 Nationals.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/comme...14-brennan.htm

Custom Title

Just wondering, why were SBS' accusations ridiculous?

Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Just wondering, why were SBS' accusations ridiculous?

Yuna felt she was being disrupted during twarmups at two events in a row. She mentioned it to Orser and he noticed it too and filed a complaint. That part is all on the record. However, Yuna never mentioned who was causing her problems. Not a name let alone a nationality of a skater(s).
    SBS went with this and basically ran wild. They were not only naive bit negligent in their reporting. A little research would have shown SBS (and other Korean media) that warm up harrassments are nothing new to figure skating. SBS was not looking to cover this honestly - they were only out for ratings.
    By assuming that it was Japanese skaters trying to disrupt Yuna's warmups they created a firestorm between Japan and Korea.
    I have no idea how much harrasment Yuna may have experienced or felt. I do know Yuna never mentioned "Japanese skaters" or any skater by name.
    SBS acted very unprofessionaly in this matter, and made it worse than it should have been. Most Yuna fans agree and were angry at SBS over their faulty coverage,
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-01-2009 at 10:57 PM.

It's the battle of the Penchet Spiral (that's 180 degree) between Caroline and Sasha at TEB. If it's flexibility that is the high scoring presence, then who has the most? Watch out Mao and YuNa. One of you may be off the podium,

If she's still growing, we'll have to wait and see what her training has brought. All the young ladies have had to struggle to varying degrees with growth spurts between ages 15-17. Depending on placements, some struggle more in the spotlight vs others. 5'7" is certainly tall for a ladies skater - some of the men aren't even that tall.

Here is a link to USA Today article about Sasha's misadventures during 98 Nationals.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/comme...14-brennan.htm
    I don't know, the picture looks like Michelle is about to elbow Sasha in the back.

We have to take into account that Christine Brennan is a big Michelle fan from w-a-a-y back.

About the incident invloving Yu-na, the outrageous part was all the phony videos that were spliced together to make it seem like Miki Ando (especially) and other Japanese skaters were getting too close to Yuna. In one part they deliberately blurred the skater out, saying look how awful these Japanese skaters are -- when the skater in the clip was actually Cynthia Phaneuf.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't know, the picture looks like Michelle is about to elbow Sasha in the back.

We have to take into account that Christine Brennan is a big Michelle fan from w-a-a-y back.

About the incident invloving Yu-na, the outrageous part was all the phony videos that were spliced together to make it seem like Miki Ando (especially) and other Japanese skaters were getting too close to Yuna. In one part they deliberately blurred the skater out, saying look how awful these Japanese skaters are -- when the skater in the clip was actually Cynthia Phaneuf.

Yes how ridiculous those vidoe clips were - and they were fueled by the faulty reporting and coverage by SBS and other Korean media. Then the Japanese media responded in full.
    Considering how many new fans Yuna has - many with very limited knowledge of figure skating made this seem little incident much worse than it was.

Custom Title
    There was a clip around of Sasha buzzing Michelle at 98 Nats. Also an article with Michelle and a few of the other skaters talking about Sasha's warmup harrassments. I believe it is true coz I saw the clip and Sasha did not ewven try to hide it. Naturally, Michelle skated well and won and Sasha messed up, fell, etc. Usually the skater concentrating on her program wins and the one concentrating on disrupting other skaters loses. Ask Surya .
    Are you sure you didn't mistake someone else for Sasha? Sasha couldn't have been buzzing Michelle at 98 Nats, Sasha's senior Nats debut was in 2000.

As for the Brennan article...well, after reading her books, I wouldn't exactly call her the voice of objectivity.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-02-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: fix quote html

Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast