Page 3 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1757

Thread: Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

  1. #31
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    [QUOTE=evangeline;397968][QUOTE=janetfan;397906]There was a clip around of Sasha buzzing Michelle at 98 Nats. Also an article with Michelle and a few of the other skaters talking about Sasha's warmup harrassments. I believe it is true coz I saw the clip and Sasha did not ewven try to hide it. Naturally, Michelle skated well and won and Sasha messed up, fell, etc. Usually the skater concentrating on her program wins and the one concentrating on disrupting other skaters loses. Ask Surya .

    Are you sure you didn't mistake someone else for Sasha? Sasha couldn't have been buzzing Michelle at 98 Nats, Sasha's senior Nats debut was in 2000.

    As for the Brennan article...well, after reading her books, I wouldn't exactly call her the voice of objectivity.

    Got me on that one - it was 2000 Natls. As to the story - I don't think this alleged - or well documented - take your pick - incident was a "one and done" type of thing with Sasha. Personally I think it is kind of funny picturing an angelic looking, petite girl like Sasha as the rink bully. And I am sure you are right that Sasha has moved past this sort of behavior. In case you are wondering - I am a Sasha fan and happy about her return.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-02-2009 at 12:36 AM.

  2. #32
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    It's the battle of the Penchet Spiral (that's 180 degree) between Caroline and Sasha at TEB. If it's flexibility that is the high scoring presence, then who has the most? Watch out Mao and YuNa. One of you may be off the podium,

    It flexibilty alright. But it is also about height. I hear a rumor that Sweet Caroline is almost 6 '0 tall now and still growing. They expect her to hang up her skates and go to UCLA on a basketball scholarship if she doesn't win the OGM next season.

  3. #33
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    Caroline had a bad start to last season but really was on a roll by march. If she can continue where she left off, and there is not great much improvement by the other american ladies, she will have a pretty good case for the Olympic team. I see her at least getting a medal at Nationals.

    Caroline exhibited such improved speed and flow at 4CC and that lat event of last year. She made steps in the irght direction and got her 3/3 ratified. She needs to keep doing whatever she was doing to make those improvements grow over the summer.

    I don't really see her making the GP final due to the tough assignments she has been given.

  4. #34
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    It flexibilty alright. But it is also about height. I hear a rumor that Sweet Caroline is almost 6 '0 tall now and still growing. They expect her to hang up her skates and go to UCLA on a basketball scholarship if she doesn't win the OGM next season.
    Wow, pack it in Caroline. There is no common sense for you. Janetfan has spoken and we all know about her one and only interest in figure skating. You've got to stay tiny and not grow is the common sense thing to do.

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I don't really see her making the GP final due to the tough assignments she has been given.
    I think a bronze and a silver are certainly within reach. And that's what got her in the Final back in '07.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    It's the battle of the Penchet Spiral (that's 180 degree) between Caroline and Sasha at TEB. If it's flexibility that is the high scoring presence, then who has the most? Watch out Mao and YuNa. One of you may be off the podium,
    Hey...what about Mao???

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Final_2008.jpg
    http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/b8E0_...gO9E/Mao+Asada
    http://www.scratchspin.com/2008/worlds08/08010869.jpg
    http://www.patinandosobrehielo.net/w...-mao-asada.jpg


    And psst, Janetfan...the year was 2002...Sasha was far from a skaters' favorite back in the day and there was many rumors from different skaters/sources that Sasha played the shadowing game. However, there were also rumors that because TAT did not deal with such antics, and Sasha matured, she has stopped doing such things. The close call folks blew out of proportion at 2006 Olympics was much more obvious a mistake, and close accident. I think one that rattled Sasha as much as Shizuka.
    Last edited by MKFSfan; 06-02-2009 at 01:46 AM.

  7. #37
    Tanguera feraina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,149
    Mao is very flexible, and glides beautifully across the ice like no one else, but she should remember to point her toes in the spirals!

    As for Caroline, I had a peek over at sashafans forum, and they are excited and happy about the opportunity that Sasha has to compete with the world's best at her first competition, and show them all how it's done!

    Wow, what a great attitude. Maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic (realistic?) about Caroline's GP propsects, just to cushion the disappointment later on. Maybe I should feel excited about *her* chance to beat the big guns, too. You know research says that happy people tend to be overly optimistic, whereas depressed people tend to be more accurate in their predictions of the future? (see what realism gets you? nothing but depression!)

    Go Caroline, show them all how it's done!

  8. #38
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    Mao has lovely spirals, but she does not have a 180 degree split. she gets close when she holds her freeleg with her arm. Sasha and Caroline have a perfect split with no assistance from the arms.

    A side note on the spiral queens: Caroline has improved her back position last season in that she hardy drops it at all in her spiral, where as from what I have seen Sasha has gotten into a bad habit of not arching her back in her classic spiral.

  9. #39
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    749
    [QUOTE=evangeline;397968][QUOTE=janetfan;397906]There was a clip around of Sasha buzzing Michelle at 98 Nats. Also an article with Michelle and a few of the other skaters talking about Sasha's warmup harrassments. I believe it is true coz I saw the clip and Sasha did not ewven try to hide it. Naturally, Michelle skated well and won and Sasha messed up, fell, etc. Usually the skater concentrating on her program wins and the one concentrating on disrupting other skaters loses. Ask Surya .

    Are you sure you didn't mistake someone else for Sasha? Sasha couldn't have been buzzing Michelle at 98 Nats, Sasha's senior Nats debut was in 2000.

    As for the Brennan article...well, after reading her books, I wouldn't exactly call her the voice of objectivity.
    Brennan can barely hide her Michelle-worship from articles of hers that I have read-and her books that I've borrowed to read from the library.

    I also would not judge from a photograph who is 'at fault' if anyone in a collision. Accidents happen and I prefer giving skaters the benefit of the doubt unless they are clearly aiming at a specific skater in warmups and it can be backed up by video. I recall during Salt Lake Jamie Sale all but accused Anton Sikuralidze of crashing into her-and when you view the footage imo one can see it was not the man's fault. It happens-I hardly think anyone would intentionally risk injury just to trip up another competitor. Blades are involved for pete's sake. It makes no sense to me.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Mao has lovely spirals, but she does not have a 180 degree split. she gets close when she holds her freeleg with her arm. Sasha and Caroline have a perfect split with no assistance from the arms.

    A side note on the spiral queens: Caroline has improved her back position last season in that she hardy drops it at all in her spiral, where as from what I have seen Sasha has gotten into a bad habit of not arching her back in her classic spiral.
    All I meant is Mao is much better than it seems people give her credit for. She doesn't have the same amplitude, and I agree, needs more pointed toes. I do think this is one area she has improved in leaps since 2005.
    http://www.ifsmagazine.com/archive/2...-pic-cover.jpg

  11. #41
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,078
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Wow, what a great attitude. Maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic (realistic?) about Caroline's GP propsects, just to cushion the disappointment later on. Maybe I should feel excited about *her* chance to beat the big guns, too. You know research says that happy people tend to be overly optimistic, whereas depressed people tend to be more accurate in their predictions of the future? (see what realism gets you? nothing but depression!)

    Go Caroline, show them all how it's done!
    Truly! If you are a competitive athlete, naturally you want to test yourself against the best. I would be very disappointed in a skater who said, please don't make me skate against the world champion -- just match me against the small fry and let me squeak into the finals.

    What if she makes the Olympic team? We won't be saying, oh dear, look at all those good skaters our poor Caroline has to face. We'll be saying...

    Go Caroline, show them all how it's done!
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-02-2009 at 09:35 AM.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Wow, pack it in Caroline. There is no common sense for you. Janetfan has spoken and we all know about her one and only interest in figure skating. You've got to stay tiny and not grow is the common sense thing to do.
    Actually, Caroline not only seems taller than last season, but stronger and more muscular as well. I have read she works with a trainer.

  13. #43
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Actually, Caroline not only seems taller than last season, but stronger and more muscular as well. I have read she works with a trainer.
    Very true P-bob. I heard Caroline is now benching double her body weight

    To Joe - I am not sure what you have against Caroline and Sasha. Maybe you don't care for beautiful skaters, or it is something else?
    I would be curious to hear your thoughts about skaters you do like.

  14. #44
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Very true P-bob. I heard Caroline is now benching double her body weight
    What do you mean by that? Is she gaining weight?

  15. #45
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by fliptart View Post
    What do you mean by that? Is she gaining weight?

    Caroline has grown and it is reported she is working with a personal trainer to get stronger. Other comments about her height or benching her body weight were just silly comments I made in response to a detractor.
    I love Princess Caroline's skating (sometimes I refer to her as "Sweet Caroline").
    I can't wait to see her new programs this season!

Page 3 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •