Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

Wow, what a great attitude. Maybe I shouldn't be so pessimistic (realistic?) about Caroline's GP propsects, just to cushion the disappointment later on. Maybe I should feel excited about *her* chance to beat the big guns, too. You know research says that happy people tend to be overly optimistic, whereas depressed people tend to be more accurate in their predictions of the future? (see what realism gets you? nothing but depression!)

Go Caroline, show them all how it's done! :rock:

Truly! If you are a competitive athlete, naturally you want to test yourself against the best. I would be very disappointed in a skater who said, please don't make me skate against the world champion -- just match me against the small fry and let me squeak into the finals.

What if she makes the Olympic team? We won't be saying, oh dear, look at all those good skaters our poor Caroline has to face. We'll be saying...

Go Caroline, show them all how it's done! :rock:

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Wow, pack it in Caroline. There is no common sense for you. Janetfan has spoken and we all know about her one and only interest in figure skating. You've got to stay tiny and not grow is the common sense thing to do. :p

Actually, Caroline not only seems taller than last season, but stronger and more muscular as well. I have read she works with a trainer.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Actually, Caroline not only seems taller than last season, but stronger and more muscular as well. I have read she works with a trainer.

Very true P-bob. I heard Caroline is now benching double her body weight :biggrin:

To Joe - I am not sure what you have against Caroline and Sasha. Maybe you don't care for beautiful skaters, or it is something else?
I would be curious to hear your thoughts about skaters you do like.

janetfan

Match Penalty
What do you mean by that? Is she gaining weight?

Caroline has grown and it is reported she is working with a personal trainer to get stronger. Other comments about her height or benching her body weight were just silly comments I made in response to a detractor.
I love Princess Caroline's skating (sometimes I refer to her as "Sweet Caroline").
I can't wait to see her new programs this season!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Why is it Caroline gets about 50 notes a day on this board ................

................. and one note per week on her own fan page? :biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Why is it Caroline gets about 50 notes a day on this board ................

................. and one note per week on her own fan page? :biggrin:

Maybe because her fans have a broader interest in skating and are not like the "botfans" of several other skaters. And she is still so young. How much general news is there about her?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Maybe because her fans have a broader interest in skating and are not like the "botfans" of several other skaters. And she is still so young. How much general news is there about her?

Actually, very little. She is really not yet a main stream celebrity. :frown: But I think that will change after next season.

L

LKR722

Someone mentioned over on FSU that there was mention of the possibility that Caroline might be skating to "Zigeunerweisen" by Sarasate for her SP over "here" at Golden Skate. I've been looking through the music threads and can't find any mention of it. Does anyone know what thread here it was mentioned, if indeed that poster was correct?

Edit: Sorry, I found it in the thread for what music Caroline should skate too. I used the search function. Silly me, I should have done that first before posting. Anyways, I'm rooting for Caroline to take one of the two spots available on our Olympic team. I'm a big fan of her skating.:love:

Last edited:
Actually, very little. She is really not yet a main stream celebrity. :frown: But I think that will change after next season.

I think it will, too. I expect her to make the Olympic team (along with Rachael), and challenge for the podium. She has a star quality both on and off the ice that -- with a little Olympic exposure -- will draw reporters and photographers like bees to honey. :yes:

Hmm. I'm not quite so sure. She HAD a star quality as a junior. It hasn't always translated to seniors, IMO. I hope it will.

feraina

Record Breaker
Well, I think she still does spellbinding, magical exhibitions. I enjoy watching them so much. Like "Lullaby for a Stormy Night" at TEB last year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i4RpKDYqrg

I think she does have an inner star quality that's going to shine through in her skating sooner or later, as she develops into a more mature person and skater. I think she has an inner diva waiting to burst out once she gets over her shy, angsty teenage phase. ;) Just as long as her skating career isn't derailed by bad injuries or something (knock wood). I am hopeful that she will have her own "salome" breakthrough season soon -- like, this season would be nice!

I'm dying to know what her new programs are. She said she will probably be at Golden West again this summer, yay! I can't wait to see her skate.

L

LKR722

Thanks for letting us know, feraina. I'm following her now.:) I have really enjoyed following tweets from Kimmie Meissner(She is so nice, she replies to everyone), Tanith Belbin, and Johnny. Figure Skating Online is also nice to follow, sending out little news tweets on their skaters.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I guess I'm another in the minority...Caroline has impressed me a lot these past two seasons. I thought her LP at Nationals both this year and last was special. She's also given some mesmerizing exhibitions.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I guess I'm another in the minority...Caroline has impressed me a lot these past two seasons. I thought her LP at Nationals both this year and last was special. She's also given some mesmerizing exhibitions.

I am not sure if you are in the minority. Mention Caroline at this board and it lights up pretty good.
I like skaters that have unique qualities and a special grace. Someone here said to have "it" you must be totally "mesmorized." That would be me when I watch Princess Caroline skate. :love:
Geez - I am just dying already to see Caroline's new programs and to see her skate this season.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Caroline is now on twitter. You can follow her here:
http://twitter.com/CarolineZhang

Ooh, cool! I'm bookmarking it, stat. Are you sure it's real, feraina? :p

I figure Caroline must have something. You have people talking as if she carries a power drill with her out onto the ice, and yet her YouTube videos get gazillions of hits and threads featuring her are usually quite popular. :laugh: That's more than the other American newbies on both counts, I'll bet.

And Caroline diva-ish? Oh my, certainly, but not in a stand-offish way. It's more muted now that she's maturing and getting slightly beaten down in the results, but once she overcomes both obstacles, Sasha, move aside! :biggrin:

feraina

Record Breaker
Ooh, cool! I'm bookmarking it, stat. Are you sure it's real, feraina? :p

Yup, yup, it's her.

And Caroline diva-ish? Oh my, certainly, but not in a stand-offish way. It's more muted now that she's maturing and getting slightly beaten down in the results, but once she overcomes both obstacles, Sasha, move aside! :biggrin:

Diva-ish in a totally awesome way, of course. ;) We need a diva in US skating. Sasha won't last past this season in any case. :biggrin: