Page 51 of 118 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

Who is Auntie Joyce?

Custom Title
    Andrea Joyce perhaps?:chorus:

But seriously, this girl must be the most hated, as well as the most adored, American lady these days. Seems like you can't even praise her in her own thread without "earning" the right by mentioning her horrible horrible mule kick and ever so slow skating.

But if there's modicum of truth in the rumor about her jumps, I am concerned. Could anyone here confirm (or negate preferrably) the rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post

But seriously, this girl must be the most hated, as well as the most adored, American lady these days. Seems like you can't even praise her in her own thread without "earning" the right by mentioning her horrible horrible mule kick and ever so slow skating.
    All through 2001 and up to the Olys 2002, the mere mention of Sara Hughes was met with Underrotations by the skaters who couldn't predict she was a contender, and we all know what happened in SLC.

But if there's modicum of truth in the rumor about her jumps, I am concerned. Could anyone here confirm (or negate preferrably) the rumor?
    I'm not sure about the rumour of her jumps, but if it has to do with mule kick, that was also a side remark about Hughes, and we all know what happened in SLC.

Caroline and Rachael do have a few items to address since last year, I think both skaters will take care of those. They both meet up with Sasha but in different GPs, and do not compete against each other till Nats (unless, they both make the GP Finals. Let's check out the improvements first, if any.

Much too early to predict.

Custom Title

All I know is that her skating is so slow, her jumps so low, her expression so poor, and her mule-kick so hideously ugly ......... that she was the top American lady in her last FOUR ISU events. So what happened to all the other U.S. girls with their lightning speed, high jumps, great expression and clean take-offs?

As for the rumors, I might be able to help. I was at her charity show 3 1/2 weeks ago. I got some poor video with my old Canon G3. She did several jumps, though not a flip or lutz. The files are too big to email directly, so I will try to upload them somewhere.

Custom Title
    That will be awesome! I recall from your review her salchows and loops looked fine, or am I dreaming? So maybe Caroline's reworking on her lutz, and her flip has been a thing of a nemesis according to several past witnesses of her training. For now, I will just assume she's not in her peak form, being July and all.

That will be awesome! I recall from your review her salchows and loops looked fine, or am I dreaming? So maybe Caroline's reworking on her lutz, and her flip has been a thing of a nemesis according to several past witnesses of her training. For now, I will just assume she's not in her peak form, being July and all.
    If skaters are not aware of their weaknesses, their coaches will be able to tell them and begin work on them during the off season. Some skaters have attitudes and do not work on what is needed. Flutzing year after year is more bothersome to me than a mule kick. Little height in jumps could be a problem of
    technique but more likely the genetic makeup of the skater. Tara would never be a 'high' jumper even if she worked on it. Facial expression comes with age and life experiences - not by showing emotions by the choreographer. The problem exists with most skaters even when they are following a story line rather than what the music should be telling them.

I will definitely look for an improvement in speed by Caroline. As to the other specious weaknesses, I believe they bother fans more than judges.

Custom Title
    Well, I finally was able to upload the Caroline’s videos to YouTube. As I stated, the quality is poor. Also, I was having trouble with my camera, so her first exhibition was cut into 3 parts.

Here are the 3 parts to Lullaby for a Stormy Night. The first part is only a few seconds and is basically the intro. Can you spot the announcer’s mistake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4u2XzETUw

In part II, she starts the actual skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Pa9w5fqy0

And here is part III.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wF4cCeJ5_w

Later in the evening, she skated to On My Own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tw9qs-QP28

Here is Brittney Rizo’s exhibition. She had a hard fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTngGMTCf10

Thanks for the videos! She looked okay there... I can't help but be concerned about that rumor, even though I know it's off-season and no one is nailing it at this time..

Thanks a lot for the videos, PBob!

On My Own looked better, I wonder if it's because she got a bit more warmed up? Didn't she get her skates back right before the show, without the benefit of any warm-up at all? Her loops look good to me, certainly no worse than last year. I only saw loops, did anyone see salchows?

Maybe she's having trouble with the flip and lutz because she's working on the mule-kick and the flutz? I'm dying to see her perform in September at Golden West, it turns out I should be able to go after all. I also have a [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color] camera, but at least the lighting will be better given that it's a competition, so maybe I'll be able to get some videos of her new programs if the organizers don't tell me off.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    At the current time, Caroline is the rear echelon. There is no skater, and I'm talking anywhere on earth, younger than her who poses a threat of beating her. I suspect the situation will stay that way for some time.
    How long is some time? If you are thinking the next 4 years, you might want to watch out for some of the up-and-coming jr. ladies from Japan who were doing very well on the JGP last season. I really wouldn't be too sure about this. Not to mention both Kim and Asada were virtually unknown skaters on the international scene before they competed on the jr. circuit and totally crushed the field in their respective debut years. You never know where and when young talents are being brooded.
    Last edited by shine; 07-22-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Oh, Caroline has tweeted that she is getting acupuncture for meniscus tear and is off the ice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Oh, Caroline has tweeted that she is getting acupuncture for meniscus tear and is off the ice.
    I just heard that Caroline injured her knee. I don't know how bad it is.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    I just heard that Caroline injured her knee. I don't know how bad it is.
    She said she didn't know she was injured. She skated on it for a while, but nothing was going right, and it started hurting more. She got her MRI's back today and she's going to the acupuncturist, I think to help it heal faster; she's supposed to be off the ice for at least a week or two. I just did a google search, and apparently acupuncture's supposed to facilitate the healing process. But it mentions nothing about putting a needle in the head! (which she said happened to her.)

I don't know who this Aunt Joyce is, but she sure relishes the opportunity to kick a victim when they're down already. Disgusting...

I think Caroline was probably having bad practices b/c of the meniscus tear. it's unlikely that she'd suddenly be having jump problems b/c of the growth spurt. She grew 5 inches last season and managed to adapt okay, she's not going to suddenly lose her jumps now that her height has stabilized. And while I agree that she probably spends too much time on the ice, I don't think it's a bad idea while she's getting used to her new height and body. In fact, this may be one reason why she adapted better than Mirai, who spends much less time on the ice. When your body is changing really fast, if you don't skate enough you end up not being able to regain all your skills before it changes again, so you're forever playing catch-up.

This is not good news. Knee injuries can be serious. Wishing Caroline a speedy recovery.

Custom Title
    Oh well. Maybe a couple of weeks vacation will do Caroline some good.

Page 51 of 118 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 101 ... LastLast