Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 59 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

~tapdancer

On the Ice
OT but I just have to ask...I don't visit this forum every day but apparently threads are allowed to have an unlimited number of posts? I can't believe how many posts this thread has and how long it has gone on. Is Caroline Zhang really that interesting or has it strayed into off topic quite a bit? Just curious.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Right now, if she can get back into the form she was in at 4CC and World Team Trophy, she will certainly make the Olympic team. :

After her growth spurt that "if" is unfortuantely the key word.

I hope she does - but wonder if her technique will allow her to do what she did jumpwise when she was 14 and 15.

And what "if" Mirai and Ashley have actually improved during the off-season?
What "if" Alissa, not in school this season to concentrate full time on her skating has a strong season? What "if" Sasha actually does make it back and show up for SA and then Natls? Rachael appears to be a lock for one of the spots so that leaves the rest of the ladies fighting over one spot.

I see too many "if" factors in this scenario and I don't think the odds are looking good for Caroline. I know it is her dream to make it to Vancouver - but it is my dream for her to address her technical problems and focus on the future.

It is her choice and I wish her well. I have a feeling this may be a tough season for Caroline but I hope she gets through it and doesn't get discouraged or lose her passion for skating.

Medusa

Record Breaker
In contrast to the Plushenko thread and some other threads that simply mutated over the course of the off-season, this thread is pretty much all about Zhang.

herios

Medalist
OT but I just have to ask...I don't visit this forum every day but apparently threads are allowed to have an unlimited number of posts? I can't believe how many posts this thread has and how long it has gone on. Is Caroline Zhang really that interesting or has it strayed into off topic quite a bit? Just curious.

You are not alone in that camp of wonderers:scratch:

But once I started to read a few messages and saw that folks are interested in what she is eating, how much is she sleeping, what is she wearing, how is she changing her hairstyle, etc I am not surprised anymore!

I would rather suggest her fans to twit her to fix her wonky technique before too late, because if she is not, her career is doomed

justaskatingfan

Rinkside

That is because 00 has tons of imperfections. Did you know she once got a head bruise from gardening!?:yes:

feraina

Record Breaker
That is because 00 has tons of imperfections. Did you know she once got a head bruise from gardening!?:yes:

Haha, I think you are right! I mean, there are so many imperfections for us to debate over, and offer everyone's 2 cents on what she should do to rectify those problems. If she was perfect, what would we be talking about? We'd each post once or twice, "wow, she's amazing, she's perfect!" and that'd be that. I mean, how long is the yu-na thread, do we even have an active yu-na thread? But the mao thread(s) is pretty active and gets pretty long, too, especially now that she has problems with her music choice, her costumes, her coaching situation, her jump technique, etc. :p

janetfan

Match Penalty
Haha, I think you are right! I mean, there are so many imperfections for us to debate over, and offer everyone's 2 cents on what she should do to rectify those problems. If she was perfect, what would we be talking about? We'd each post once or twice, "wow, she's amazing, she's perfect!" and that'd be that. I mean, how long is the yu-na thread, do we even have an active yu-na thread? But the mao thread(s) is pretty active and gets pretty long, too, especially now that she has problems with her music choice, her costumes, her coaching situation, her jump technique, etc. :p

Very good points feraina.
Not to get carried too away with Mao/Caroline comparisons - but have you also noticed how many people are saying "why can't Mao/Caroline have competitive programs that are as good as their exhibition programs?

If only it was that easy :yes:

Last edited:

krenseby

Final Flight
You are not alone in that camp of wonderers:scratch:

But once I started to read a few messages and saw that folks are interested in what she is eating, how much is she sleeping, what is she wearing, how is she changing her hairstyle, etc I am not surprised anymore!

I would rather suggest her fans to twit her to fix her wonky technique before too late, because if she is not, her career is doomed

Yes, herios, we've already gone over the fact that Caroline has a sweet tooth, and yet many speculate that she must eat a lot of salads as well.

Oh how much some of us yearn to be the fly on the wall in her kitchen just to catch a glimpse of what's on her plate. Or eavesdrop on her sharing her feelings about the competition results. (Will she say. "Oh the judges hate me" or "it's all my fault, my cursed jump technique is dragging me down?")

Fascinating, fascinating stuff. Thank you Caroline for filling our need to chatter and speculate. We haven't been able to partake in this precious hobby ever since Sasha has left the skating scene. Oh how delicious it was to discuss her escapades of intimidating other skaters in warm up, her rancorous resentments towards the queen of U.S. figure skating, and her general admission that she can't be a perfect jump-executing robot.

Sasha, come back and give us more grist to grind!

feraina

Record Breaker
but have you also noticed how many people are saying "why can't Mao/Caroline have competitive programs that are as good as their exhibition programs?

Yeah, I know. Why can't they have better competitive programs? Why can't they get a better coach, better programs, better music, better costumes...?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Yes, herios, we've already gone over the fact that Caroline has a sweet tooth, and yet many speculate that she must eat a lot of salads as well.

Oh how much some of us yearn to be the fly on the wall in her kitchen just to catch a glimpse of what's on her plate. Or eavesdrop on her sharing her feelings about the competition results. (Will she say. "Oh the judges hate me" or "it's all my fault, my cursed jump technique is dragging me down?")

Fascinating, fascinating stuff. Thank you Caroline for filling our need to chatter and speculate. We haven't been able to partake in this precious hobby ever since Sasha has left the skating scene. Oh how delicious it was to discuss her escapades of intimidating other skaters in warm up, her rancorous resentments towards the queen of U.S. figure skating, and her general admission that she can't be a perfect jump-executing robot.

Sasha, come back and give us more grist to grind!

:laugh: :laugh: :rofl:

ETA: any thoughts on Caroline's dreaded rival at GS - the never ending Plushy topic? ;)

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well keeping this thread going I am going to add another post. Caroline
would have placed 3rd today in the SP at Rosetelcom. She would have been right behind Alissa who scored 57.64 compared to Caroline's score of 57.26 at TEB.

Going thru this thread Caroline has been described as "poor", injured", "slow as molasses" and my favorite "mule kicking". Caroline's score would have been right in the mix today. Not to shabby. Caroline scores will only increase once she puts her 3x3 back into her programs. I predict she will outscore her countrywoman and who knows who else as the season progresses.

janetfan

Match Penalty
would have placed 3rd today in the SP at Rosetelcom. She would have been right behind Alissa who scored 57.64 compared to Caroline's score of 57.26 at TEB.

Going thru this thread Caroline has been described as "poor", injured", "slow as molasses" and my favorite "mule kicking". Caroline's score would have been right in the mix today. Not to shabby. Caroline scores will only increase once she puts her 3x3 back into her programs. I predict she will outscore her countrywoman and who knows who else as the season progresses.

Thankyou for your optimistic and quite logical post.
Go Caroline!:yes:

Andalusia

Final Flight

You're always so sensible. :)

In regards to Rostelecom, it is just intolerable what is happening to Mao. :(

skfan

Final Flight
i'm not sure you can compare scores across different competitions. who knows, maybe caroline would have looked 'slow' to the CoRussia judges--i doubt she skates faster than AC and AWagner. after all there was much brouhaha about how mao's scores at WTT was 'inflated' since it wasn't as 'rigorous' a competition as worlds.

there are many uniquely wonderful things about caroline--that's why i'm really pulling for her to get it together.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^ I did not say that Caroline skated faster than Alissa or Ashley just that she scored in the same ballpark.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Considering that she was faster at TEB (especially in the SP), I wouldn't say that Alissa skates faster than Caroline; Alissa herself is a slow, cautious skater.

Ashley is faster than Caroline, no question.

skfan

Final Flight
^^ I did not say that Caroline skated faster than Alissa or Ashley just that she scored in the same ballpark.

i know you didn't. i'm just saying, different panel of judges, different circumstances--to me that's not comparable. but my brain is probably still in ordinals/6.0 mode, whereas i see people comparing personal bests of different skaters across different competitions all the time now in the age of COP.

it's hard to judge speed on a puny little web screen, and Andalusia may well be right about AC CoR SP being no faster than caroline TEB SP (2009-2010).

R.D.

Record Breaker
Considering that she was faster at TEB (especially in the SP), I wouldn't say that Alissa skates faster than Caroline; Alissa herself is a slow, cautious skater.

Yes. I happen to think she also gets more credit than she deserves. I don't find her to be a particularly interesting skater (although when compared to something like Zhang's TEB LP, that statement might not apply!) and I think her tentativeness is what's holding her back from really breaking out. Imagine if she had the jumps, and she just let loose- she'd be quite amazing. But if tentativeness is what she needs to have to land those jumps, better to be like that than to go all out and fall apart.

Last edited: