Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang's 2009-10 season

justaskatingfan

Rinkside
I would not be surprised if 00 finished first at SC. I think people are over estimating Joannie's motivation for the GP events. Not mentioned, but can be very crucial, 00 is the only lady single skater that has the longest break between two GPs.

Here is the latest 00 montage on YouTube nicely done by "SaviourOfTheHeart".

Charlotte Elizabeth

On the Ice
I would not be surprised if 00 finished first at SC. I think people are over estimating Joannie's motivation for the GP events. Not mentioned, but can be very crucial, 00 is the only lady single skater that has the longest break between two GPs.

Here is the latest 00 montage on YouTube nicely done by "SaviourOfTheHeart".
Thanks for posting the montage.. I used to like Caroline a lot. Especially after Sasha retired I thought Caroline could take Sasha's place in my heart but now... I don't think so. She looks terribly slow like it takes her terribal amount of strengh to move across the ice. She looks tired and bored out there..Sorry. And her jumps have become worse with time that she has been growing. She still has lovely quolities which I admire as much as before. But if she wants to continue skating she has to address her problem asap.

herios

Medalist
I would not be surprised if 00 finished first at SC. I think people are over estimating Joannie's motivation for the GP events. .

QUOTE]

And you are overestimating Caroline's abilities. She skates like through molasses. her SS mark should not be above 6.0 for just that matter. She cannot glide.

fairly4

Medalist
amazing sasha gets a bye for her tenditis injury-zhang gets criticized for the exact same injury and she skated in her events --golden west/ teb/
probably skate canada-will it help zhang no--they will make sure it hurts her.

janetfan

Match Penalty
amazing sasha gets a bye for her tenditis injury-zhang gets criticized for the exact same injury and she skated in her events --golden west/ teb/
probably skate canada-will it help zhang no--they will make sure it hurts her.

You always seem to miss a key point fairly.
Sasha is the current Olympic Silver medalist and has a free pass to Nationals. If Caroline ever wins an Olympic medal she will have the same privilige that Sasha has earned.

I am a Caroline fan and hope she does well at SC. But with Joannie and Akiko there and Mirai and others Caroline will have to skate much better than she did at TEB to win a medal.

I wish her good health and even better luck.
Go Caroline

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
janet fan--
i agree -caroline zhang should skate better than what she did at teb, but her lp scores should have been around a 99-102, sp-59.

the scores was a bit low.

yes, she has to improve,
but hardly anyone mentioned her tendonitis--sasha tendonitis gives her a bye, who know because of injury(how sasha will be held up at nationals for it.)

i presume not zhang.

fairly4

Medalist
Sasha- free pass based on inflated overmarked scores at nationals and olympics.
they overlooked her marks
no-caroline zhang will not get held up
see nationals--all us girls got held up in pcs except carolline zhang--why who knows.
unless i see zhang pcs scores improve at nationals this year-i will believe they (usfsa)don't want her up in top tier and they never do.
why-overlook urs, wrong edges etc on mirai, ashley, rachel, alissa at last year nationals-and this years summer competitions, judges made sure hit everyone of zhangs but overlooked others and improved pcs scores over gp events last year. i expect same thing this year.

mskater93

Record Breaker
PCS marks tend to follow the skating skills coridor. If the skating skills are poor (shallow edge work and slow), the rest of the marks follow. Caroline is notoriously the slowest skater of the current crop of senior ladies and her PCS is marked accordingly.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I don't believe there is an evil plan to hold Caroline down. Though there has been some weird judging the last 2 Nationals. Last year ( 2008 ) the judges overlooked an entire element in her short program, scored her too low, added points when they discovered their mistake, then took them away again when they learned mistakes could not be corrected after the fact.

I don't really want to pass judgement on Caroline's skating until I see her in healthy condition. At the end of last season, she had all her flaws - mule-kick, slowness, poor edges etc. ..... and was still top American at Four Continents, Junior Worlds and World Team Trophy. We will see how much these flaws have improved at Skate Canada.

fairly4

Medalist
that is the problem--ashley, rachel, mirai and alissa has shallow edges , poor quality of spins no centering--looping , skate slow , don't jump high yet get higher pcs than zhang. so it is more than the reasons you state,
however ashely did skate better at nhk than she normally does--by that i mean she skate a bit faster and her jumps were cleaner-but she still had shallow edging, looping of spins and non-center in spins -yet her pcs were in 26 (short which was deserved but 53-54 in the long was overmarked and
rachels pcs at cup of russia was way to high with her shallow edging, poor spings, slow skating, messy jumps
alissa and mirai i am not going to touch.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Have you actually seen these girls skate live? There is a huge difference in ice coverage between Zhang and Nagasu, Flatt, and Wagner. Zhang comes to a stop before her 2A, can't decide on a take off edge when preparing for hammer toe on the 3F anf 3Lz, and noticeably slows before the 3S and 3Lo in addition to (as someone here put it so well) "walking on the ice". While the other three may not have the same level of speed as YuNa Kim, Joannie Rochette, Carolina Kostner or Mao Asada, they are noticeably faster than Zhang. Also, Zhang gets her rewards on her spins with high levels (when she holds her positions) and high GOEs. I don't understand where your conspiracy theories come from, but they crack me up.

cornell08

Final Flight
I would actually say that the divide is more Caroline, Rachael, Mirai (in increasing order of technique/speed/quality of edges)

then Ashley, Alissa (in that order)

And only then, the top international ladies, with Yuna at the forefront of course.

*note: excluding consistency, of course

I still love Caroline though and hope she places well in Canada! At least first is not out of the realm of possibility-- unlike, say, for Rachael who is competing against Yu-na this weekend. So there is hope yet.

Also...who is excited for LIVE coverage on Sunday on broadcast tv?! :biggrin:

Last edited:

krenseby

Final Flight
Live coverage is nice but there's absolutely NOTHING for me to look forward to. Watch Yuna wipe the field? Yeah, sure, that happens every day.

You know it's funny that when a skater like Yuna consistently performs great, people get bored of it and say that it makes competitions predictable. But then, in a reverse scenario, where a great skater like Mao suddenly doesn't skate up to her potential and leaves room for usually less capable skaters to make the podium, people still complain about the marvelous Mao being beaten by unworthy competitors. Hence my point: If Yuna were to skate a lot worse and give others the chance to beat her, I am sure none of us would be happy with that.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You know it's funny that when a skater like Yuna consistently performs great, people get bored of it and say that it makes competitions predictable. But then, in a reverse scenario, where a great skater like Mao suddenly doesn't skate up to her potential and leaves room for usually less capable skaters to make the podium, people still complain about the marvelous Mao being beaten by unworthy competitors. Hence my point: If Yuna were to skate a lot worse and give others the chance to beat her, I am sure none of us would be happy with that.

So simple, and yet so deep, and most definitely true, :rock:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I am looking forward to a "clean" LP by Yuna! :laugh:

I don't even care so much if she is not clean - I am more interested to see what she has done interpretation-wise with the Gershwin. I think she may skate it a little differently this time.

Geez, next week - really curious to see if Caroline can do a better job of presenting her LP. And of course Caroline needs to be much cleaner than she was at TEB.

Go Caroline!

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Speaking of clean programs - has anyone heard how Caroline's training has been coming along? She mentioned at TEB that she was almost done with physical therapy for her injury.

Trewyn

Medalist
Oh; in case anyone was wondering: Caroline needs to win SC with 166,82 points to beat Ashley in a 24-point tiebreak. Only Miki, Mao, Akiko and Yu Na have achieved such a high score or higher this season...