Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Evgeni Plushenko: Back to the Future

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Well...at least he admits to wanting to "win something"...unlike some other comeback kids.
    Can you imagine he'd really be happy with the bronze?

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Not happy per se, but maybe content/willing to accept the result without major disappointment. But it's really difficult to tell, from a non-athlete perspective, the real motivation behind wanting to comeback to the Olympics. This isn't the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last.

I imagine that once you've reach a certain level of success, any comeback would be motivated by trying to get back up to that level or maybe even higher.

It's a nice thought for skatefans, but I think injuries will take their toll on the comeback kids in the end, and they'll be missing from one or more events.

Plushenko was already hard at work for two months earlier this year. "It was extremely difficult at the beginning and I've asked myself, 'why I'm doing this?' I have everything that I need. I have a phone, I have a car, a house, an apartment, money ...I don't need more. I thought, 'why am practicing spins, jumps, steps?'.

The falls and injuries are inevitable, however, the will to compete again, to be on the podium again, is stronger. "My future wife, Jana, pushed me into this direction already last year," Plushenko pointed out. "She said, 'you are still young, you can do it'."
    I imagine this is the most difficult part. I mean, he already has the OGM! Not much else to reach for other than simply relying on the "bettering yourself" part...

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I think that if we (fans) can analyze for hours the potentials of a comeback and the abilities of a skater, the skater himself must suspect/ know his potentials, his rivals and what might happen beforehand, I dont think they daydream that they will be back and be handed a Gold Medal.
    In case of plushenko, I believe he knows more than anyone that he wont be a lock for Gold and that this time he has to compete with many skaters on his level or even better at this point. Maybe he wont be ultimate happy- as every skater looks to reach the highest place- but I dont think he will be frustrated (like Irina was in 2006) with bronze or with a decent off podium finish . As he said, he has nothing to lose.

On the Ice
    Very nice interview and in depth, looking forward to what Plusenko will show next season, always something to be curious to watch.

Rinkside
    Can't wait to watch him in competition

Great interview with Plushenko. Thanks.

This fan is looking forward to his return.

Thank you for posting this interview! Now I'm 99% sure that he's really return!

On the Ice

painting

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    For me personally, seniorita, it is an image I have, in my mind, of an exquisite painting I saw once. Unfortunately, it was way too expensive for my budget, but that didn't stop me from eyeing it whenever I got the chance until the day it was sold.

It was an antique painting of two celestial human figures (a man & a woman) wearing long flowing diaphanous garb, skating what appeared to be a heavenly setting ~ firmament ~ that, to me, means to skate with the gods.
    Wow, that description sounds marvellous. Who is the painter? Any chance of obtaining a repro/poster? I would really like to buy one.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the article! I´m very happy for Plushenko that he now has a fiancée, who is interested in figure skating to support his skating..
    Last edited by Jaana; 06-07-2009 at 02:11 AM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Thanks for the article! I´m very happy for Plushenko that he now has a fiancée, who is interested in figure skating to supports his skating..
    Well, she is sooo much interested in figure skating that she talked about Evgeni beating Yagudin in Torino... But good publicity is always nice, and seemingly she`s got a book out right now

The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar
    Well, probably depends on how it is won - if others are really be better than him.... he will probably be satisfied with her

Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    i just wanna say thanx again for the article now I read it, i really enjoyed it, that was a nice break, no dithyrambs for his comeback neither any negativity, simple and to the facts, it was beautiful writing, compliments to the chef
    I like plushy attitude concerning nothing to lose, there will be another olympic champion eventually and stephan, he is really something else, whenever i read something on his blog, I miss his graciousness towards skating and his co athletes.

I like this phrase, what does it mean?
    What is a "dithyramb"?

The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    What is a "dithyramb"?
    Texts with excessive praise

Custom Title
    In the end, a medal is a medal and there are only 3 awarded in the competition. Most of the competitors won't even receive a medal.

I like this interview. He is in the right frame of mind to attempt a successful comeback. Plushenko always took a lot of pride in his skating and no doubt is doing everything possible to get back to his former self. I'm very encouraged seeing some of the training videos of Plushenko. It's unfortunate that none of the men in this quad have yet to equal his consistency and sureness with the difficult jumps.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    What is a "dithyramb"?
    too positive words, literally it is an hymn, comes from greek mythology

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2