Evgeni Plushenko: Back to the Future | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko: Back to the Future

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A sunny, warm morning in the last week of May in St. Petersburg, Russia, and world famous coach Alexei Mishin is on the ice in the bright Yubileini practice rink with its large windows teaching his young students.

More

Three cheers for gsk8 and the contributing journalists and correspondents that get these exclusive interviews for Golden Skate! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Hey, Are you having a party without me?:party2:
merci beaucoup for the article, I m gonna read the it now, a bed time fairytale story:p

Nadine

Record Breaker
Another great article from GS!:thumbsup:

Lovely piece, positive, informative, beautiful. Just reaffirms my belief in Evgeni Plushenko. I will be rooting for him, as always, though I doubt he will need it. He skates with the gods.

All the other male skaters should feel honored to skate against him ~ the best ~ he has the aura of invincibility. And he has the opportunity to make history, as the article mentions. I will be cheering him on all the way in his quest to make the impossible possible!:clap:

You younger male skaters out there, pay attention, this is the way it is done...

seniorita

Record Breaker
i just wanna say thanx again for the article now I read it:), i really enjoyed it, that was a nice break, no dithyrambs for his comeback neither any negativity, simple and to the facts, it was beautiful writing, compliments to the chef :clap:
I like plushy attitude concerning nothing to lose, there will be another olympic champion eventually and stephan, he is really something else, whenever i read something on his blog, I miss his graciousness towards skating and his co athletes.
He skates with the gods.
I like this phrase, what does it mean?:)

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Three cheers for gsk8 and the contributing journalists and correspondents that get these exclusive interviews for Golden Skate! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ditto!

I have just read the article, and I agree that it is to the point and well written. I found it very enjoyable and informative. Thank you so much! :biggrin: :clap:

Nadine

Record Breaker
I like this phrase, what does it mean?:)

For me personally, seniorita, it is an image I have, in my mind, of an exquisite painting I saw once. Unfortunately, it was way too expensive for my budget, but that didn't stop me from eyeing it whenever I got the chance until the day it was sold. :cry:

It was an antique painting of two celestial human figures (a man & a woman) wearing long flowing diaphanous garb, skating what appeared to be a heavenly setting ~ firmament ~ that, to me, means to skate with the gods. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well...at least he admits to wanting to "win something"...unlike some other comeback kids. :scratch:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Thank you so much! I really enjoyed reading it. Very informative. Even reading it, added the Olympic excitement. Keep my fingers crossed for him to keep healthy!

Ximena

Final Flight
Well...at least he admits to wanting to "win something"...unlike some other comeback kids. :scratch:

I'm sorry, I haven't read about other comeback, did the others not say that?

It seems he is aware this time it may not happen, I mean in the last interview he said, he talks about all the competitions he has to do before Olympics and then he says something like, well he uses an expression, but the idea is that he says that to expect not very good results in his first, second and even third competition.

And it seems the Fed is also aware that Plushenko coming back does not translate into "we have another Olympic gold", but they expect him to do well because in the document the Russian fed turned out about the expectation of the Russian team for the upcoming Olympics, when the men event is mentioned it says: "Expected podium finish IF Evgeni Plushenko competes".

nubka

Final Flight
What a great read! Thanks so much, and keep 'em comming...:clap::clap:

:bow::bow: Plushy!!! :bow::bow:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Can you imagine he'd really be happy with the bronze?

Not happy per se, but maybe content/willing to accept the result without major disappointment. But it's really difficult to tell, from a non-athlete perspective, the real motivation behind wanting to comeback to the Olympics. This isn't the first time it's happened, and it won't be the last.

I imagine that once you've reach a certain level of success, any comeback would be motivated by trying to get back up to that level or maybe even higher.

It's a nice thought for skatefans, but I think injuries will take their toll on the comeback kids in the end, and they'll be missing from one or more events.

Plushenko was already hard at work for two months earlier this year. "It was extremely difficult at the beginning and I've asked myself, 'why I'm doing this?' I have everything that I need. I have a phone, I have a car, a house, an apartment, money ...I don't need more. I thought, 'why am practicing spins, jumps, steps?'.

The falls and injuries are inevitable, however, the will to compete again, to be on the podium again, is stronger. "My future wife, Jana, pushed me into this direction already last year," Plushenko pointed out. "She said, 'you are still young, you can do it'."

I imagine this is the most difficult part. I mean, he already has the OGM! Not much else to reach for other than simply relying on the "bettering yourself" part...

seniorita

Record Breaker
Can you imagine he'd really be happy with the bronze?
I think that if we (fans) can analyze for hours the potentials of a comeback and the abilities of a skater, the skater himself must suspect/ know his potentials, his rivals and what might happen beforehand, I dont think they daydream that they will be back and be handed a Gold Medal.
In case of plushenko, I believe he knows more than anyone that he wont be a lock for Gold and that this time he has to compete with many skaters on his level or even better at this point. Maybe he wont be ultimate happy- as every skater looks to reach the highest place- but I dont think he will be frustrated (like Irina was in 2006) with bronze or with a decent off podium finish . As he said, he has nothing to lose.

chloe

Rinkside
Very nice interview and in depth, looking forward to what Plusenko will show next season, always something to be curious to watch.