Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cup of China - Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Will Chock and Zerlein blow every ones mind in Seniors?
    Yes.

Evan knows what he is doing. I don't remember him ever falling. He has made a clean quad a couple of times. His 3A may or may not be still questionable. He skates without fear. But, I think Ponsero has a better chance in winning over Evan more than the others if and only if he loses the demons. Yannik has a beautiful quad kinda like Lambiel's.
    Nationals 2006 - Men's Short Program (which his program was HOW old by that point???) - straightline footwork... splat!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Nationals 2006 - Men's Short Program (which his program was HOW old by that point???) - straightline footwork... splat!
    I consider falling in footwork more of rut cause for the fall. Sometimes it is bad timing, and I would consider that a fall on footwork.

ok... 2006 Olympic Short Program... he fell several times on jumps, IIRC. yes, it is almost 4 years ago, but still, it's not like he never falls (and those are the ones that stick out in my mind, I'm pretty sure he's fallen since )

and Evan said himself he didn't hit a rut at nationals in 06. He lost focus and had too much energy and threw himself off balance... he was FLYING into that footwork and really selling it when he went down.

Evan knows what he is doing. I don't remember him ever falling. He has made a clean quad a couple of times.
    Evan's more recent problem has been UR calls, not falls, but of course URs can be a lot more painful than falls these days. He will definitely benefit from the judges having more discretion about GOEs on UR jumps; he had URs at both his GPs, at Nats and at the WTT.

As for landing quads several times, when Evan does them consistently, and rotates them consistently, then I'll be impressed. Right now he can be exciting to watch, but the jump content he has is not the best (by this I'm also referring to the jump technique).

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    ok... 2006 Olympic Short Program... he fell several times on jumps, IIRC. yes, it is almost 4 years ago, but still, it's not like he never falls (and those are the ones that stick out in my mind, I'm pretty sure he's fallen since )

and Evan said himself he didn't hit a rut at nationals in 06. He lost focus and had too much energy and threw himself off balance... he was FLYING into that footwork and really selling it when he went down.
    You know more about his nitty gritty faults than I do. All that was prior to 2007? No?

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Evan's more recent problem has been UR calls, not falls, but of course URs can be a lot more painful than falls these days. He will definitely benefit from the judges having more discretion about GOEs on UR jumps; he had URs at both his GPs, at Nats and at the WTT.

As for landing quads several times, when Evan does them consistently, and rotates them consistently, then I'll be impressed. Right now he can be exciting to watch, but the jump content he has is not the best (by this I'm also referring to the jump technique).
    I wasn't aware he was getting dinged for URs. Is it in the Protocols or is it from your TV viewing? Not saying you are wrong if you caught the URs and the judges didn't, it kind of makes me wonder. if however, the judges did catch his URs, his minus GoEs didn't keep him from winning gold in LA and Tokyo.

you weren't aware of his UR? It was one of the hot topics on the board this past season! Where were you???

I wasn't aware he was getting dinged for URs. Is it in the Protocols or is it from your TV viewing? Not saying you are wrong if you caught the URs and the judges didn't, it kind of makes me wonder. if however, the judges did catch his URs, his minus GoEs didn't keep him from winning gold in LA and Tokyo.
    As Toni said, it's in the protocols. A UR has to extremely noticeable for me to see it, and also it has to be broadcast by Eurosport at a reasonable hour, which Evan's events were not . You must have noticed the one event I did not list under "Evan got a UR" in my previous post... As for the WTT, just some semantics: he didn't win gold at the WTT, team USA won gold. Evan was first in the men's event. I believe the judges were very lenient with him there, he didn't take much of a GOE hit for his two called URs and the "!" (on the flip, I think?) in the LP.

IIRC, Evan also had some falls in the 2007-8 season, but as I said his main issue this past season has been the crackdown on URs and jump technique.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    sorry but I m curious enough,what UR means?i suspent it means underrotation since you speak about evan, but i had to ask!?

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    sorry but I m curious enough,what UR means?i suspent it means underrotation since you speak about evan, but i had to ask!?
    Heh, you have excellent deductive skills . It is indeed underrotation.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    yeah, I even didnt need a crystal ball.
    I dont know about rest jumps, I have not noticed anything, just his 3axel is not a 3axel from any angle I see it

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    yeah, I even didnt need a crystal ball.
    I dont know about rest jumps, I have not noticed anything, just his 3axel is not a 3axel from any angle I see it
    II believe he tends to UR his quads as well, but have never actually seen it; Evan left out the quad attempts in the events I've watched in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    As Toni said, it's in the protocols. A UR has to extremely noticeable for me to see it, and also it has to be broadcast by Eurosport at a reasonable hour, which Evan's events were not . You must have noticed the one event I did not list under "Evan got a UR" in my previous post... As for the WTT, just some semantics: he didn't win gold at the WTT, team USA won gold. Evan was first in the men's event. I believe the judges were very lenient with him there, he didn't take much of a GOE hit for his two called URs and the "!" (on the flip, I think?) in the LP.

IIRC, Evan also had some falls in the 2007-8 season, but as I said his main issue this past season has been the crackdown on URs and jump technique.
    Good post and I got some info. You do not really believe that one UR can cause a loss of a championship when so many other factors are present. Chan and Joubert obviously did not have URs. No? and other factors? Just trying to find out how Evan won the Worlds. I respect your opinion that he didn't deserve it, although I do disagree with it. I was there in LA and not by the tube.

You do believe judges favor certain skaters? Yes? Anyone else, or just let's get Evan dumped on? I can't believe judges would single him out as special with Joubert there.

I don't think Oda was so great in LA, but if you find him challenging, let's wait till the COC.

Evan is not the best skater out there, imo, but his gold medals are deserved.

Good post and I got some info. You do not really believe that one UR can cause a loss of a championship when so many other factors are present. Chan and Joubert obviously did not have URs. No? and other factors? Just trying to find out how Evan won the Worlds. I respect your opinion that he didn't deserve it, although I do disagree with it. I was there in LA and not by the tube.
    Joe, you must stop misreading my posts! I wrote that I had isssues with Lysacek's marks at the WTT, not at Worlds. He did not get any UR calls in LA.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast