Cup of China - Analysis | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cup of China - Analysis

ok... 2006 Olympic Short Program... he fell several times on jumps, IIRC. yes, it is almost 4 years ago, but still, it's not like he never falls (and those are the ones that stick out in my mind, I'm pretty sure he's fallen since ;))

and Evan said himself he didn't hit a rut at nationals in 06. He lost focus and had too much energy and threw himself off balance... he was FLYING into that footwork and really selling it when he went down.
You know more about his nitty gritty faults than I do. All that was prior to 2007? No?

Evan's more recent problem has been UR calls, not falls, but of course URs can be a lot more painful than falls these days. He will definitely benefit from the judges having more discretion about GOEs on UR jumps; he had URs at both his GPs, at Nats and at the WTT.

As for landing quads several times, when Evan does them consistently, and rotates them consistently, then I'll be impressed. Right now he can be exciting to watch, but the jump content he has is not the best (by this I'm also referring to the jump technique).
I wasn't aware he was getting dinged for URs. Is it in the Protocols or is it from your TV viewing? Not saying you are wrong if you caught the URs and the judges didn't, it kind of makes me wonder. if however, the judges did catch his URs, his minus GoEs didn't keep him from winning gold in LA and Tokyo.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you weren't aware of his UR? It was one of the hot topics on the board this past season! Where were you??? ;):biggrin:;)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I wasn't aware he was getting dinged for URs. Is it in the Protocols or is it from your TV viewing? Not saying you are wrong if you caught the URs and the judges didn't, it kind of makes me wonder. if however, the judges did catch his URs, his minus GoEs didn't keep him from winning gold in LA and Tokyo.
As Toni said, it's in the protocols. A UR has to extremely noticeable for me to see it, and also it has to be broadcast by Eurosport at a reasonable hour, which Evan's events were not ;). You must have noticed the one event I did not list under "Evan got a UR" in my previous post... As for the WTT, just some semantics: he didn't win gold at the WTT, team USA won gold. Evan was first in the men's event. I believe the judges were very lenient with him there, he didn't take much of a GOE hit for his two called URs and the "!" (on the flip, I think?) in the LP.

IIRC, Evan also had some falls in the 2007-8 season, but as I said his main issue this past season has been the crackdown on URs and jump technique.

seniorita

Record Breaker
sorry but I m curious enough,what UR means?:)i suspent it means underrotation since you speak about evan, but i had to ask!?

seniorita

Record Breaker
yeah, I even didnt need a crystal ball.:laugh:
I dont know about rest jumps, I have not noticed anything, just his 3axel is not a 3axel from any angle I see it:cool:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
yeah, I even didnt need a crystal ball.:laugh:
I dont know about rest jumps, I have not noticed anything, just his 3axel is not a 3axel from any angle I see it:cool:
II believe he tends to UR his quads as well, but have never actually seen it; Evan left out the quad attempts in the events I've watched in recent years.

As Toni said, it's in the protocols. A UR has to extremely noticeable for me to see it, and also it has to be broadcast by Eurosport at a reasonable hour, which Evan's events were not ;). You must have noticed the one event I did not list under "Evan got a UR" in my previous post... As for the WTT, just some semantics: he didn't win gold at the WTT, team USA won gold. Evan was first in the men's event. I believe the judges were very lenient with him there, he didn't take much of a GOE hit for his two called URs and the "!" (on the flip, I think?) in the LP.

IIRC, Evan also had some falls in the 2007-8 season, but as I said his main issue this past season has been the crackdown on URs and jump technique.
Good post and I got some info. You do not really believe that one UR can cause a loss of a championship when so many other factors are present. Chan and Joubert obviously did not have URs. No? and other factors? Just trying to find out how Evan won the Worlds. I respect your opinion that he didn't deserve it, although I do disagree with it. I was there in LA and not by the tube.

You do believe judges favor certain skaters? Yes? Anyone else, or just let's get Evan dumped on? :p I can't believe judges would single him out as special with Joubert there.

I don't think Oda was so great in LA, but if you find him challenging, let's wait till the COC.

Evan is not the best skater out there, imo, but his gold medals are deserved.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Good post and I got some info. You do not really believe that one UR can cause a loss of a championship when so many other factors are present. Chan and Joubert obviously did not have URs. No? and other factors? Just trying to find out how Evan won the Worlds. I respect your opinion that he didn't deserve it, although I do disagree with it. I was there in LA and not by the tube.
Joe, you must stop misreading my posts! ;) I wrote that I had isssues with Lysacek's marks at the WTT, not at Worlds. He did not get any UR calls in LA.

Joe, you must stop misreading my posts! ;) I wrote that I had isssues with Lysacek's marks at the WTT, not at Worlds. He did not get any UR calls in LA.
sorry, Buttercup. I tend to skim posts when I think someone is very pro or con of a skater. My mistake, and I promise to read more carefully. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
didn't know i was dumping on my favorite skater... interesting... :laugh:

oleada

Record Breaker
Men - I think Oda & Evan will be the top 2, depending on how well each of them skate. Of course, if they both make mistakes, Contesti can give them a run for their money. Ten is the wildcard here, as he has the potential to make the podium, but he'll have to skate very well and hope the top 3 make mistakes.

Ladies - This is Joannie's competition to lose, IMO. If she skates close to clean, she will win. The only way I don't see this happening is if Carolina skates clean with 3+3 in the SP and LP. Joannie was pretty consistent last year, but she's crumbled in the past and Carolina is a mental case. I don't think Rachael can beat either of these ladies if they skate solid programs (as seen in CoR, 4CC, Worlds and WTT last year). While she's a solid skater, she doesn't have the wow factor and nothing about her is a particular standout aside from her consistency. If any of these girls falter, my bet is on Suzuki....Nagasu is the unknown factor, given her potential and coaching change, but last season was poor for her.

Pairs - Really deep field! An unfortunate assignment for E&L, as I think that they're likely to finish last. It will be interesting to see how S&Z are looking, but its obvious they are the co-favorites along with the Zhangs. V&M are my pick to round out the podium.

Dance - Not the most interesting field, IMO. B&A are the favorites, with K&N likely for silver. I think bronze will be a battle between F&S and C&Z.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
My prediction for the ladies:

1. Carolina Kostner
2. Joannie Rochette
3. Fumie Suguri (or Akiko, Rachael and Mirai)

I don't predict, I just analyze the field.

Rachael has a lot to gain if she wins this especially for the USFS as well as her fans and, of course, self satisfaction. It's something to win for making her more of a standout in the top field of skaters. Lots of motivation here.

Miki can sometimes be exceptional and other times quite ordinary. It's up to her to turn it on. Is she motivated?

Carolina has a lot of good skating to do to make up for last season. Again, she should be motivated.

Joannie will be the most secure for the win.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
But Lysacek is the reigning World Champion, and the judges will give him higher PCS scores than his rivals. Just remember that Evan's rivals have to skate super clean themselves in order to beat him, and that is not a given.

Sure, but if he tries 2 quads and misses them PCS can't close the gap. Sadly when Evan falls on the quads they are almost always underrotated which reduces the value to almost nothing. I say Oda has the edge on this one because Evan is not his best during the GP and Frank hates traveling to China.

Sackie

Medalist
Actually I can see Rachael being given the win here just like I expect Alena to move up in the rnaks this year too. The skating world wants the old Rus US battle back especially with the upcoming Olympics. So I can see both Rachael and Alena winning enough to make the finals and being set up as outside shots at the Olympics. They certainly recived a push at last years worlds.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Actually I can see Rachael being given the win here just like I expect Alena to move up in the rnaks this year too. The skating world wants the old Rus US battle back especially with the upcoming Olympics. So I can see both Rachael and Alena winning enough to make the finals and being set up as outside shots at the Olympics. They certainly recived a push at last years worlds.

Yes, but we're not in 1992 anymore.

Sackie

Medalist
True - but in 1992 Skating was big and the powers that be would like to get back to those days. And who won Worlds Ice Dance last year even though they were a mess?