Rostelecom Cup, formerly COR - Analysis | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rostelecom Cup, formerly COR - Analysis

Charlie had one bad competition last season. Shabalin has had far more falls and stumbles over the past few years.
D and S also had that wonderful Waltz :eek: from the 40s which steered them into 1st place.

I'm more interested in Crone/Poirier and Rubleva/Shefir to show something here.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I'm more interested in Crone/Poirier and Rubleva/Shefer to show something here.
In light of Rubleva's history, that was an unfortunate way of expressing your appreciation of them :biggrin:. I hope all they'll show is great skating!

~tapdancer

On the Ice
First, I love D/W. I enjoy them more then D/S. And I agree that Maxim has a serious knee problem. That being said, there's a bad competition and there's a bad competition. IMO D/S have the judges' grace, and the home advantage, which means D/W will have to rise to the occasion and not give the judges an excuse by silly stumblings and mistakes.

Interesting to note...despite the terrible OD, D/W came back strong in the FD to actually beat D/S and got the bronze medal. I think the judges certainly didn't hold that OD against them. I do agree with you, though, about D/S's judges' graces and home advantage. D/W will need to be flawless, I'm thinking. Which so early in the season, they may or may not be. That goes for D/S, too, though.

In light of Rubleva's history, that was an unfortunate way of expressing your appreciation of them :biggrin:. I hope all they'll show is great skating!
I have no idea what you are talking about. What is it that you know, that I don't know about Rubleva's history? I'm jealous the MM knows (see below).

Now I remember, the wardrobe miscalculation. But that won't get her extra points. Or will it?

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Now I remember, the wardrobe miscalculation. But that won't get her extra points. Or will it?
AFAIK, all it got them was a lot of Youtube views. They were interviewed here a couple of months ago, and sounded like they'd taken the whole thing pretty well. It must have been terribly embarassing for her.

"Miscalculation" means something was planned, but badly.
"Misfunction" means something didn't work, or broke.

The current buzz-phrase in the US, since Janet Jackson bust out of her top on national TV, is "wardrobe misfunction."

I wasn't implying anything about you, seniorita.

oleada

Record Breaker
Men - This is a great field. I'm still not convinced that Plushy will show up and since he's been away for so long, I think Chan will win. But he can make mistakes and he was beaten by Kozuka & Johnny at the GPF so it's not a foregone conclusion. I'm not sure Mroz will make much of an impression here; he's not terribly consistent, he's slow and the international judges don't seem terribly impressed by him. Of the lower ranked skaters, I'll be looking forward to seeing Amodio.

Ladies - The battle of Miki & Mao :love: Leonova and any of the American ladies could win bronze. Given the inconsistency and downgrade potential of the three Americans, Leonova's consistency and homecourt advantage, Alena's my pick for bronze. But (IMO) Alissa, Kimmie and Ashley's best is better than Alena's best, but Alena is most likely to skate her best or close to it than any of the Americans. (did that make sense?)

Pairs - Pang & Tong vs Kawaguchi & Smirnov for gold. The field really drops off after that. McBrus are my pick for bronze, but if they skate like Skate Canada or Worlds, then Martyusheva & Rogonov could possibly upset them. Who's the Russian TBA? Iliushechkina & Maisuradze is my guess and they could be contenders.

Dance - DomShabs have the world title and the home advantage, but D&W could win here too. Shab's knees are a big factor. I'd love to see C&L get the bronze over Crone & Poirier. I'm excited to see what Zazoui can do for C&L!!

fara

Spectator
CoR October help ?

We are planning to attend the Cup of Russia (Rostelecom Cup now) in October.

Does anyone know in which rink it will take place and which the official hotel(s) will be ? Just for us to know in which part of Moscow to search for accomodation

seniorita

Record Breaker
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa please take me with you!!!
:no:

i have some friends that plan the same trip, one is journalist, i will ask her if she knows details you ask...

this is the official page of Russian Federation (i think) http://www.goldskate.ru/news/

Last edited:

Mikhail

Rinkside
We are planning to attend the Cup of Russia (Rostelecom Cup now) in October.

Does anyone know in which rink it will take place and which the official hotel(s) will be ? Just for us to know in which part of Moscow to search for accomodation

The competitions will be held, I think, in the same place they were held last two or tree years, namely in the Megasport Palace, also known as Khodynka. Here's its site: http://www.hockey-palace.ru/ and here's the map: http://www.hockey-palace.ru/about/mesto/sxema/

It's rather far from the center of Moscow, but I wouldn't call this place a suburb, too. The nearest underground (metro) station is called Dinamo.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
It's going to be tough between Miki and Mao!

My prediction (and what I really want :p):

1. Miki Ando
2. Mao Asada
3. Alissa Czisny

There are 3 major players here for the Ladies: Miki, Mao, and Alena all of whom should medal. The 3 Americans need a determined clean skate to upset that trio.

liketotally

On the Ice
There are 3 major players here for the Ladies: Miki, Mao, and Alena all of whom should medal. The 3 Americans need a determined clean skate to upset that trio.
Frankly, I wouldn't put Leonova in the 'trio'. I believe that Alissa (who looked pretty good at Skate Detroit) or Ashley could beat her.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Frankly, I wouldn't put Leonova in the 'trio'. I believe that Alissa (who looked pretty good at Skate Detroit) or Ashley could beat her.

Has anyone seen Alena skating/training since WTT? What do we know about her developments? She has high goals for this season:

"At the Russian Nationals my goal will be the first place, at the Europeans 2nd or 3rd, at the Olympics 5th or 6th" (from her site)

Last edited: