Rostelecom Cup, formerly COR - Analysis | Golden Skate

Rostelecom Cup, formerly COR - Analysis

We haven't seen anyone skate since the World Championships or even since the World Team Championships, and we will not see this competition until 22 October. Save your favorites for the prediction threads later on.

The Ladies

In addition to 3 US Ladies (Cziny; Meissner, Wagner there is the 3rd place World Champion Miki Ando, and also the 4th place Mao Asada. What is the JF thinking in allowing these two top skaters in the same GP? Of course, they could both get gold and silver and move them into the Finals. Then there is Leonova in her home country. Will she be up to it. And those US Ladies, will one of them rise to the podium? Poykio is a well seasoned skater. Keep tuned.

The Gentlemen

Another colossal(sp) Field of Gold wannabees: Can Chan, Kozuka, and Weir overtake the 2006 Olympic Champion? and then there is the ubiquitous Keven vander Perren along with Sawyer, Mroz and Lutai. Don't miss this event. It will tell us much about the Men's field in general.

The Pairs

Has Pang and Tong lost it? Kawaguti and Smirnov in their host country. Broder and Mattatal will skate to prove they are deserving to be here, Has McLaughlin and Brubaker got a fighting chance here? And who is tht TBA from Russia?

Ice Dance

Since many posters feel for Davis/White, can they stand up to Domnina/Shabalin? Have Findlay/Richaud replace Carron/Jost in their rivalry with Cappellini/Lanotte? Three other good team are here: Crone/Poirier, Copely/Stagnius, and Rubleva/Shefer btw, the Hermanns are back.

Last edited by a moderator:

enlight78

Medalist
Between plushenko,chan,kozuka, and weir someone will be left out. Can Mroz quad help him play spoiler.If weir not careful he could find himself in fifth.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Findlay / Richaud finished 10th at Junior Worlds with a score of 145.17, while Cappellini / Lanotte were 10th at Worlds with a score of 175.70. So I don't think F/R are any threat to C/L

IMO, gold and silver is a tossup between DomShabs and D/W, and it all may hang on the condition of Shabs' knees. The fight for bronze will be between Cappellini / La Notte and Crone / Poirier, with a slight edge to the Italians.

Trewyn

Medalist
COR has the most exciting Men's field!!! As to ladies; of course I'm hoping for Ashley Wagner to really step it up; she could get bronze; but Meissner and Leonova could prove to be tough competition. I'm curious what Meissner will show up... Definitely one of the most exciting GP's in the series! Looking forward to it, and

Last edited:
Between plushenko,chan,kozuka, and weir someone will be left out. Can Mroz quad help him play spoiler.If weir not careful he could find himself in fifth.
I really think Johnny has to give this his ALL. It won't be easy but he can get to the podium. Sad that Plush will take up the podium points, and ruin the chances of the Final for one of the others. But Plush is legal and all power to him.

seniorita

Record Breaker
hmmm.. you saved it at the end..

Mao, Ando and Cziny.
Poykio and Leonova I have them on the same coffin. Maybe Leonova 4th cause she skates home.

Chan will skate like an Olympic rehearshal to send a message unless he gets bamboozled by Olympic Champion, so I guess Chan, Plushenko and Mroz in that order if they all have a quad, or Kozuka instead of Mroz, depends on what program he ll have. I think also Weir needs a super performace, cause KVDP can pass him. And there is a tba also who i have no idea what would be(unless it is a third russian)

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Gold and Silver will be a lock for Mao and Miki, unless they withdraw. Ashley has a good chance of getting a bronze and if she can snatch another bronze at NHK, it might be good enough to be alternative for the final. She is like a U.S version of Miki, when she is on, she can match all the top U.S ladies. Speed, power, height and flare!

jennylovskt

Medalist
I expect Plushenko to win this event, not because he is my favorite, but because I think he has reason to be on the top. His training so far is on track to get him back to the top form. It's a strong field. Plushenko won't get it without a real fight.

I still doubt that Chan will have a quad or if he has it, his quad will help him much. Remember Weir's quad in 2006 and 2007? His double footed quad didn't make difference in his scores. I have to wait and see for Chan's quad.

What Mroz needs to do is to be consistent and work more on his artistry, with quad, and his strong jumping abilities, he will be a real threat in a year or two. To see Brandon Mroz, I seem to realize, the first time, that in order to be a top competitive men's figure skater, one needs to be strong at the jumps first.

I do hope Weir could get a medal here. But he should dump the idea of having a quad in his programs. Do what he could do, and do it the best. Maybe the luck will fall on him sometimes in this season.

Like Takahashi, Kozuka has a great presentation skill. He might be a threat to silver or bronze places. I don't think he could threat Plushenko, nor did I want to see him threat Plushenko's place. KVDP will hang in there, but he won't be in the top three in this strong field.

Here you go, the analysis mixed with personal preference.:yes:;)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Weir's clean (?) quad didn't mean diddly in 2008 either. Evan still won the US title.

psycho

On the Ice
Weir is going to win this, I can feel it. He'll be inspired by the fact that this is his last competitive performance in Mother Russia and kick all kinds of ***. Kozuka second. Chan and Plushy (who I still don't believe will actually show up) battle for bronze, with the hometown edge to Plushy.

Seriously, the battle is between Weir and Kozuka. I'm giving the edge to Weir because it's Russia. Weir has never lost to Chan, and Plushenko hasn't been training for 4 years. We don't even know if he has all his triples back. Come on!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gold and Silver will be a lock for Mao and Miki, unless they withdraw. Ashley has a good chance of getting a bronze and if she can snatch another bronze at NHK, it might be good enough to be alternative for the final. She is like a U.S version of Miki, when she is on, she can match all the top U.S ladies. Speed, power, height and flare!

Except that the ISU judges aren't nearly as impressed with Ashley as the USFS judges are. And she has a tendency to underrotate jumps, which doesn't help her.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Chan will skate like an Olympic rehearshal to send a message unless he gets bamboozled by Olympic Champion, so I guess Chan, Plushenko and Mroz in that order if they all have a quad, or Kozuka instead of Mroz, depends on what program he ll have. I think also Weir needs a super performace, cause KVDP can pass him. And there is a tba also who i have no idea what would be(unless it is a third russian)
No, no - Plushy will skate to prove that he's back and untouchable, and Chan will continue the Canadian tradition of the quad fall (by this I'm not wishing ill upon him; I'm simply making a prediction). Or the newbie quad tradition of 4T<. I'll predict Plushenko, Kozuka (who will have perfected an actual quad in the off-season following his many unsuccessful attempts in 2008-9 - the skate gods smile upon such dedication!) and Weir for the medals.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Seriously, the battle is between Weir and Kozuka. I'm giving the edge to Weir because it's Russia. Weir has never lost to Chan, and Plushenko hasn't been training for 4 years. We don't even know if he has all his triples back. Come on!

No, we know :biggrin:

If Weir wins this I will be more than fine, it will give him confidence for rest of the season :) plushy just needs a warm up serious competition, and this one will be his first not B event. It doesnt matter if he wins it, he doesnt have a second grand prix. Although his win could give a hint. For the record he never lost his triples during his 3 year appearances doing flips and lutzes in all his shows, and now he has the 3axel back and quadtoe (months ago), so I guess if you rotate 4, you rotate also 3. :p
I also think Kozuka will come back stronger this season. How many times Weir faced Kozuka last season?
Still I think Chan's eyes are in this Grand Prix, he will be the most fierce to win it.

Danale

On the Ice
IMO, gold and silver is a tossup between DomShabs and D/W, and it all may hang on the condition of Shabs' knees. The fight for bronze will be between Cappellini / La Notte and Crone / Poirier, with a slight edge to the Italians.
I agree, but I think first place is also up to Mr White and his frequent trippings.

RE pairs, I think Tamara Moskvina did a wonderful job on K/S. If they continue this trend over the summer, I think they'll be stronger then P/T.

Ladies, Mao and Miki will take gold and silver obviously. Bronze is just up for grabs. Poykio seems the most consistent in the group, right? (though I'll be routing for Kimmie!)

Men, I don't think I can be objective :laugh:. I just wish Johnny will show his worth.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Plushenko hasn't been training for 4 years. We don't even know if he has all his triples back. Come on!

Yes we do - weeks ago (months now?) John Kerr wrote in an online blog that Plush did six triple axels in an Art on Ice show in Germany, for his encore he came ot and landed a quad toe. We know that he was doing toe, sal and lutz as triples before that, so i'm guessing that he has the loop and flip back now.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree, but I think first place is also up to Mr White and his frequent trippings.

Charlie had one bad competition last season. Shabalin has had far more falls and stumbles over the past few years.

Danale

On the Ice
Charlie had one bad competition last season. Shabalin has had far more falls and stumbles over the past few years.

First, I love D/W. I enjoy them more then D/S. And I agree that Maxim has a serious knee problem. That being said, there's a bad competition and there's a bad competition. IMO D/S have the judges' grace, and the home advantage, which means D/W will have to rise to the occasion and not give the judges an excuse by silly stumblings and mistakes.