Rostelecom Cup, formerly COR - Analysis | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rostelecom Cup, formerly COR - Analysis

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Has anyone seen Alena skating/training since worlds? What do we know about her developments? She has high goals for this season:

"At the Russian Nationals my goal will be the first place, at the Europeans 2nd or 3rd, at the Olympics 5th or 6th" (from her site)

Those are pretty high goals! I think she can manage a silver or bronze medal at Europeans, but not 5th or 6th at the Winter Olympics. Maybe 7th or 8th. Anyway, I wish her all the best for next season!

oleada

Record Breaker
Frankly, I wouldn't put Leonova in the 'trio'. I believe that Alissa (who looked pretty good at Skate Detroit) or Ashley could beat her.

Alissa and Ashley could very well beat her, but that would require Alissa to skate 2 clean programs, which given her international record is unlikely. Alena already beat Alissa at Worlds adn Ashley at Junior Worlds. Ashley and Alissa are better when they skate cleanly, but IMO, it's far more likely that Alena will skate 2 clean programs.

Alena landed at least 5 triples in all her free skates last season (Worlds, JW,
Cup of Russia, Europeans, Cup of China and 2008 JW for that matter), except Russian nationals. I think it's anyone's game, based on what we saw last season.

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Has anyone seen Alena skating/training since WTT? What do we know about her developments? She has high goals for this season:

"At the Russian Nationals my goal will be the first place, at the Europeans 2nd or 3rd, at the Olympics 5th or 6th" (from her site)

Well, as I know Alena is landing 3-3 and going to put it in both programs (3T-3T, but she is also working on 3F-3T), Tarasova helped her a lot with SP, so I think it will be possible for her. I think she can even be the next European champion, she beated all of the europeans at Worlds except Lepisto, but I think she can beat her too

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
The European ladies all struggled last season. I can't see any of them making the Final this year. For the Americans, I only see Rachael and Caroline as having a realistic chance.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone seen Alena skating/training since WTT? What do we know about her developments? She has high goals for this season:

I think those are very realistic goals for Alena Leonova. :love: She's ranked 1st in Junior Worlds and 7th in Senior Worlds after all. 3rd at Europeans and 5th or 6th at Olympics should be achievable for her. She has to deliver two very steady programs though!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, as I know Alena is landing 3-3 and going to put it in both programs (3T-3T, but she is also working on 3F-3T), Tarasova helped her a lot with SP, so I think it will be possible for her. I think she can even be the next European champion, she beated all of the europeans at Worlds except Lepisto, but I think she can beat her too

Great to hear! I don't think Leonova should be underestimated. GO ALENA!!! I'm cheering for you! :love::bow::rock:

My prediction for RC Ladies is:
1. Asada
2. Ando
3. Leonova
I really hope Kimmie skates well too!

Last edited:

jovani2293

On the Ice
Dream Podium
1.Miki Ando. I love her skating1
2.Mao Asada Love/Hate Relationship
3.Alissa Czisny
4.Alena Leonova
5.Ashley Wagner.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I love useless lists.

Men
1. Evgeni Plushenko
2. Takahiko Kozuka
3. Johnny Wier
4. Brandon Mroz
5. Kevin van der Perren

It'd be cool if Sawyer was able to get a top five placement, but I doubt that's happening. Plushenko is less interesting to me, admittedly, then seeing where the rest settle out behind him.

Ladies
1. Miki Ando
2. Mao Asada
3. Alena Leonova
4. Alissa Czisny
5. Julia Sebestyn

Yeah, this seems right. Maybe Wagner over Sebestyn.

Pairs
1. Kavaguti/Smirnov
2. Pang/Tong
3. McLaughlin/Brubaker
4. Bazarova/Larionov
5. Brodeur/Mattatall

Dance
1. Davis/White
2. Capellini/Lanotte
3. Crone/Poirier
4. Copely/Stagniunas
5. Rubleva/Sheffer

Nadine

Record Breaker
We haven't seen anyone skate since the World Championships or even since the World Team Championships, and we will not see this competition until 22 October. Save your favorites for the prediction threads later on.

The Ladies

In addition to 3 US Ladies (Cziny; Meissner, Wagner there is the 3rd place World Champion Miki Ando, and also the 4th place Mao Asada. What is the JF thinking in allowing these two top skaters in the same GP? Of course, they could both get gold and silver and move them into the Finals. Then there is Leonova in her home country. Will she be up to it. And those US Ladies, will one of them rise to the podium? Poykio is a well seasoned skater. Keep tuned.

The Gentlemen

Another colossal(sp) Field of Gold wannabees: Can Chan, Kozuka, and Weir overtake the 2006 Olympic Champion? and then there is the ubiquitous Keven vander Perren along with Sawyer, Mroz and Lutai. Don't miss this event. It will tell us much about the Men's field in general.

The Pairs

Has Pang and Tong lost it? Kawaguti and Smirnov in their host country. Broder and Mattatal will skate to prove they are deserving to be here, Has McLaughlin and Brubaker got a fighting chance here? And who is tht TBA from Russia?

Ice Dance

Since many posters feel for Davis/White, can they stand up to Domnina/Shabalin? Have Findlay/Richaud replace Carron/Jost in their rivalry with Cappellini/Lanotte? Three other good team are here: Crone/Poirier, Copely/Stagnius, and Rubleva/Shefer btw, the Hermanns are back.

Where's Joesitz???:confused: I can't believe I've actually missed his irascible personality, but I have, nobody to spar with, lol.:laugh: Seriously, I hope he's okay & in good health. :)

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE COMPETITORS, CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEIR NEW PROGRAMS!!!!:party2:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I havent heard of children there, but if there are it will be fun I think! I could learn some words and take advice for sightseeing!
Plush will skate first in SP, wont he?

yqs100

On the Ice
Pairs
1. Pang/Tong
2. Kavaguti/Smirnov
3. Bazarova/Larionov
4. McLaughlin/Brubaker
5. Brodeur/Mattatall

dunno why,,,just dont enjoy Kavaguti's expressions...kind of scary