Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rostelecom Cup, formerly COR - Analysis

Actually, I think it is "malfunction."

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I wasn't implying anything about you, seniorita.
    oh i know that, i just used your post to quote

Custom Title
    Men - This is a great field. I'm still not convinced that Plushy will show up and since he's been away for so long, I think Chan will win. But he can make mistakes and he was beaten by Kozuka & Johnny at the GPF so it's not a foregone conclusion. I'm not sure Mroz will make much of an impression here; he's not terribly consistent, he's slow and the international judges don't seem terribly impressed by him. Of the lower ranked skaters, I'll be looking forward to seeing Amodio.

Ladies - The battle of Miki & Mao Leonova and any of the American ladies could win bronze. Given the inconsistency and downgrade potential of the three Americans, Leonova's consistency and homecourt advantage, Alena's my pick for bronze. But (IMO) Alissa, Kimmie and Ashley's best is better than Alena's best, but Alena is most likely to skate her best or close to it than any of the Americans. (did that make sense?)

Pairs - Pang & Tong vs Kawaguchi & Smirnov for gold. The field really drops off after that. McBrus are my pick for bronze, but if they skate like Skate Canada or Worlds, then Martyusheva & Rogonov could possibly upset them. Who's the Russian TBA? Iliushechkina & Maisuradze is my guess and they could be contenders.

Dance - DomShabs have the world title and the home advantage, but D&W could win here too. Shab's knees are a big factor. I'd love to see C&L get the bronze over Crone & Poirier. I'm excited to see what Zazoui can do for C&L!!

Rinkside

CoR October help ?

We are planning to attend the Cup of Russia (Rostelecom Cup now) in October.

Does anyone know in which rink it will take place and which the official hotel(s) will be ? Just for us to know in which part of Moscow to search for accomodation

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa please take me with you!!!

i have some friends that plan the same trip, one is journalist, i will ask her if she knows details you ask...

this is the official page of Russian Federation (i think) http://www.goldskate.ru/news/
    Last edited by seniorita; 07-11-2009 at 06:54 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by fara View Post
    We are planning to attend the Cup of Russia (Rostelecom Cup now) in October.

Does anyone know in which rink it will take place and which the official hotel(s) will be ? Just for us to know in which part of Moscow to search for accomodation
    The competitions will be held, I think, in the same place they were held last two or tree years, namely in the Megasport Palace, also known as Khodynka. Here's its site: http://www.hockey-palace.ru/ and here's the map: http://www.hockey-palace.ru/about/mesto/sxema/

It's rather far from the center of Moscow, but I wouldn't call this place a suburb, too. The nearest underground (metro) station is called Dinamo.

It's going to be tough between Miki and Mao!

My prediction (and what I really want ):

1. Miki Ando
    2. Mao Asada
    3. Alissa Czisny

There are 3 major players here for the Ladies: Miki, Mao, and Alena all of whom should medal. The 3 Americans need a determined clean skate to upset that trio.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    There are 3 major players here for the Ladies: Miki, Mao, and Alena all of whom should medal. The 3 Americans need a determined clean skate to upset that trio.
    Frankly, I wouldn't put Leonova in the 'trio'. I believe that Alissa (who looked pretty good at Skate Detroit) or Ashley could beat her.

Quote Originally Posted by liketotally View Post
    Frankly, I wouldn't put Leonova in the 'trio'. I believe that Alissa (who looked pretty good at Skate Detroit) or Ashley could beat her.
    Has anyone seen Alena skating/training since WTT? What do we know about her developments? She has high goals for this season:

"At the Russian Nationals my goal will be the first place, at the Europeans 2nd or 3rd, at the Olympics 5th or 6th" (from her site)
    Last edited by snowflake; 08-01-2009 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Has anyone seen Alena skating/training since worlds? What do we know about her developments? She has high goals for this season:

"At the Russian Nationals my goal will be the first place, at the Europeans 2nd or 3rd, at the Olympics 5th or 6th" (from her site)
    Those are pretty high goals! I think she can manage a silver or bronze medal at Europeans, but not 5th or 6th at the Winter Olympics. Maybe 7th or 8th. Anyway, I wish her all the best for next season!

Custom Title
    Alissa and Ashley could very well beat her, but that would require Alissa to skate 2 clean programs, which given her international record is unlikely. Alena already beat Alissa at Worlds adn Ashley at Junior Worlds. Ashley and Alissa are better when they skate cleanly, but IMO, it's far more likely that Alena will skate 2 clean programs.

Alena landed at least 5 triples in all her free skates last season (Worlds, JW,
    Cup of Russia, Europeans, Cup of China and 2008 JW for that matter), except Russian nationals. I think it's anyone's game, based on what we saw last season.

I was thinking more of the venue.

nefertiti..reincarnate

Website was already there ...

Official website is up here !

http://www.isugrandprix.ru/

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Has anyone seen Alena skating/training since WTT? What do we know about her developments? She has high goals for this season:

Well, as I know Alena is landing 3-3 and going to put it in both programs (3T-3T, but she is also working on 3F-3T), Tarasova helped her a lot with SP, so I think it will be possible for her. I think she can even be the next European champion, she beated all of the europeans at Worlds except Lepisto, but I think she can beat her too

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast