NHK Analysis | Golden Skate

NHK Analysis

The Ladies

Miki and Yukari will battle it out with TBA. I wonder who that will be? Mao has back to back GPs in France and Russia.. Akiko has two already. Will we be getting a new star from Japan?

The rest of the Ladies: Lepisto, Leonova, and Meier. Can Meissner or Wagner slide into a medal here? Could be an interesting segment.

The Gentlemen

WOW This is another TOP draw comp and a Second Tier romp as well.

First and formost is the Retun of Dai!!! and he will be battling it out with Taka, Brian, Abbott and Weir. What more could you ask for? But wait the second tier is nothing to laught at: Chiper (they dropped the u in his name); Jeremy Ten; Brezina (my boy); Borodulin, and Rippon. No one can predict this lot, but it will be a MUST to view.

The Pairs

Here comes Pang/Tong along with Narumi/Tran (Have I seen them before? in battle with Kavaguti/Smirnov. Seems to me that Broder/Mattall; Denny/Barrett; and Inue/Baldwin have a chance for a medal here. Check it out.

Ice Dance

Another Biggie: D/S to face Davis/White mainly as they did in Russia. Others include: Crone/Poirier; the Kerrs; Anna/Sergei; and Sommersett/Gilles. I remember that haunting waltz S/G did for that Test Dance. You can see it on Yutube. If D/W get a bronze in Russia (11 pts) and a silver in Japan (13 pts) will 24 register for the Final?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D/S to face Davis/White mainly as they did in Russia.

If D/W get a bronze in Russia (11 pts) and a silver in Japan (13 pts) will 24 register for the Final?

Why would D/W (4th at Worlds) get bronze in Russia? Who of Crone / Poirier (12th at Worlds) , Mylsiveckova / Novak (21st at Worlds), Hermann / Hermann (17th at Worlds), Cappellini / Lanotte (10th at Worlds), Copely / Stagniunas (14th at Worlds), Rubleva / Shefer (8th at Euros) is going to place ahead of D / W?

D/W and DomShabs will battle for gold and silver at both Rostelecom (CoR) and NHK, and the worst D/W will do is two silvers.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Why would D/W (4th at Worlds) get bronze in Russia? Who of Crone / Poirier (12th at Worlds) , Mylsiveckova / Novak (21st at Worlds), Hermann / Hermann (17th at Worlds), Cappellini / Lanotte (10th at Worlds), Copely / Stagniunas (14th at Worlds), Rubleva / Shefer (8th at Euros) is going to place ahead of D / W?

D/W and DomShabs will battle for gold and silver at both Rostelecom (CoR) and NHK, and the worst D/W will do is two silvers.
Agree with this. And I think it will be a battle and fan that I am, I think D/W have a great chance for two golds.:rock:

I will up you one and say that if the judging is fair they will get two golds. I'm still mad about DomShab's gold at Worlds.

enlight78

Medalist
I think yukari and D/W and P/T have a good chance at gold. The men's is crazy. I think the big question is which up and commer is going to make into the final group with the big boys. My money is on Rippon

and 26 points will definitely get them into the Finals

Agree with this. And I think it will be a battle and fan that I am, I think D/W have a great chance for two golds.:rock:
They may deserve two golds but read below:

I will up you one and say that if the judging is fair they will get two golds. I'm still mad about DomShab's gold at Worlds.
Not even the Russian fans thought they deserved it. Well, we'll see.

antmanb

Record Breaker

You have to see the irony in your statement of "if the judging is fair they will get two golds". Made over 4 months before the competition, before we even know what programmes are being skated, and before we know how they skated. :p

Ant

Medusa

Record Breaker
You have to see the irony in your statement of "if the judging is fair they will get two golds". Made over 4 months before the competition, before we even know what programmes are being skated, and before we know how they skated. :p
You forgot that Russians / several other Europeans never deserve their medals, they get them handed by Speedy, some conspiracy of the federations and the judges. They get them because of too short skirts (Kostner) and because of flirting with the judges (Joubert).

Other skaters, e.g. from NA, deserve medals no matter what. Even before anybody has seen them skate the new programs.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
What happened to all the junior ladies from japan like one or two season ago?? One japanese lady win bronze at JGPF and 4th at JW. Also didn't another one win silver at JGPF?? i think the JSF should start sending them to senior level to get use to the competition like what Calroline Z did two season ago.

You forgot that Russians / several other Europeans never deserve their medals, they get them handed by Speedy, some conspiracy of the federations and the judges. They get them because of too short skirts (Kostner) and because of flirting with the judges (Joubert).

Other skaters, e.g. from NA, deserve medals no matter what. Even before anybody has seen them skate the new programs.
Medusa -you are being satirical here. I am amused. :)

You have to see the irony in your statement of "if the judging is fair they will get two golds". Made over 4 months before the competition, before we even know what programmes are being skated, and before we know how they skated.

Ant
Hmm. You may have a point there. :laugh:

Let's not try to start WWIII here. I'm not representing America on this board and I wasn't even on the D/W bandwagon earlier in the season because I don't like that Samson & Delilah program, but they skated lights-out. :rock: You don't think D/S are judge's pets?

Medusa

Record Breaker
You don't think D/S are judge's pets?
I don't pretend to know anything about ice-dance. I found that V/M should have won the CD at Worlds by a mile, but somehow B/A and D/S were placed above them (and not that many people complained). I found B/A's freedance this season unbearably shallow and fake and don't even know how they won medals with that. D/S' freedance at Worlds I prefered over V/M's and B/A's. I thought D/W, K/K and P/B had the most appealing freedances. So do I understand how D/S won Worlds? Nope. But then again I also don't understand how B/A are always winning medals.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Ladies

Miki and Yukari will battle it out with TBA. I wonder who that will be? Mao has back to back GPs in France and Russia.. Akiko has two already. Will we be getting a new star from Japan?

The rest of the Ladies: Lepisto, Leonova, and Meier. Can Meissner or Wagner slide into a medal here? Could be an interesting segment.

The TBA spot is likely to go to Nana Takeda. Japan usually sends the top 5 or 6 from Nationals to the GP. They were:

1 Mao ASADA
2 Fumie SUGURI
3 Miki ANDO
4 Akiko SUZUKI
5 Yukari NAKANO
6 Nana TAKEDA

The ladies who did well in the JGP last season are pretty young (14 and 15) and haven't had much international experience, so Japan is probably keeping them in the JGP this year. And Takeda did finish ahead of the young ones at '09 Nationals.

oleada

Record Breaker
I agree that the TBA is likely to be Nana Takeda, especially considering that JSF announced Murakami & Fujisawa as part of their JGP team.

Men - Wow, what a field! I would love, love, love to see Daisuke win this . He is my favorite men's skater. He's the whole package and when he's on, he's very hard to beat. But realistically, making the podium would be a huge victory. I have no idea who to pick - Joubert, Dai, Kozuka, Weir and Abbot could all win. Abbott is really inconsistent and that could be his downfall. Dai had his injury. Joubert and Johny aren't too COP savvy. The second tier is also awesome with Brezina, Rippon and Borodulin.

Ladies - Miki & Yukari are definitely the favorites. I hope Yukari can skate as well as possible; I want her in the Olympics soooo bad! I think Miki has the edge given recent results, but she can be inconsistent. I think it will be a battle between Leonova & Lepisto, but Meier or Wagner could beat them on a good day. The key for Ashley will definitely be to get as few UR calls as possible and hopefully work the lutz down to a ! over the summer.

Pairs - Again K&S vs P&T. I think Denney & Barrett will easily claim the bronze.

Dance - Again, teh gold is between D&S and D&W, but I'll be excited to see the Kerrs. I think they are the favorites for bronze, but if they make mistakes then C&P could beat them.

^^^

Oleada, great posts on all the analysis threads! With all your unbiased analyses, it makes for good reading from another poster with a point of view. :bow:

efreedman

On the Ice
Going to NHK

Looks like I'm going! We have tickets for all three nights and have reserved our hotel. Now all we have to do is figure out our flights and get tickets for the bullet train:clap: