NHK Analysis | Page 2 | Golden Skate

NHK Analysis

mayamae_55

Rinkside
TBA slots filled in!

http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsnew/detail.php?id=97&from=cal&sports_id=2

The ISU site hasn't been updated yet, but the JSF site announced the TBA slots yesterday as follows;
Men- Daisuke Murakami
Ladies- Nana Takeda

Good for you Nana!!!
Daisuke announced his joining the Seniors last June at the DOI, he's under Morosov and has a lot of potential.

My guess is that the JSF descided to go with Nana after after all because Mari Suzuki (who can do 5 triples) wasn't able to perform so well at the NZ Winter Games last week.

pokky_oc

On the Ice
http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsnew/detail.php?id=97&from=cal&sports_id=2

The ISU site hasn't been updated yet, but the JSF site announced the TBA slots yesterday as follows;
Men- Daisuke Murakami
Ladies- Nana Takeda

Good for you Nana!!!
Daisuke announced his joining the Seniors last June at the DOI, he's under Morosov and has a lot of potential.

My guess is that the JSF descided to go with Nana after after all because Mari Suzuki (who can do 5 triples) wasn't able to perform so well at the NZ Winter Games last week.

Yay! I love Nana! Her SP Tanguera was amazing! I think her personal best on that is 55.06 which is pretty good! Hope she does well!

mayamae_55

Rinkside
I have tickets for the entire event! I also have a hotel reservation:clap:

Lucky ducky you, Freedman!
Looks like the tickets are sold out and most of the nearby convenient hotels are fully booked now...

Is this your first time in Nagano? I'll try to pick up and post some usefull tips of that area from other forms/ blogs, so you and other people from abroad can have a better time staying :) I can't give you advice because I've never been there.

efreedman

On the Ice
Lucky ducky you, Freedman!
Looks like the tickets are sold out and most of the nearby convenient hotels are fully booked now...

Is this your first time in Nagano? I'll try to pick up and post some usefull tips of that area from other forms/ blogs, so you and other people from abroad can have a better time staying :) I can't give you advice because I've never been there.

That would be wonderful! Thank you!

mayamae_55

Rinkside
Nagano Tips

Access to Big Hat:
10-15 min. by taxi/shuttle bus from Nagano station (sorry but couldn't find out location of bus stop, but you can't miss it, so many people will be on cue)

Places to kill time around Big Hat:
few casual restaurants (like Denny's, Royal Host ) within 5-10 min walk
huge electric goods shop "K's Denki" in the same block
tiny shrine "Ichimura Shrine" and temple "Butsudo-ji" few blocks away

Seating info at Big Hat
http://www.nagano-mwave.co.jp/bighat/pdf/kyaku_a_lite.pdf
http://www.sunrisehokuriku.co.jp/information/nhkseat.pdf

Dinner tips:
many casual restaurants around the station but most close around 10-11pm, and people say that the neighborhood will be like a ghost town after that.
So you won't have much time to come back from Big Hat, wander around and look for a place to eat.
Better to eat at your hotel restaurant or buy food at a convenience store and eat in your room.
FYI Nagano is a peaceful countryside. Can't guarantee 100%, but it shouldn't so dangerous to be out even at night.

Sightseeing info:
http://www.nagano-cvb.or.jp/english/index.html

Hope any of these help... enjoy your stay& the competition!!!

Anyone who sees any mistakes in the above, please let me know...

efreedman

On the Ice
Thank You So Much

Mayamae_55

Thank you so much for this info. I have been so busy lately and consumed with TEB that I didn't even look at this until now. Your info is so helpful!!! :rock:

Dyan

On the Ice
I don't pretend to know anything about ice-dance. I found that V/M should have won the CD at Worlds by a mile, but somehow B/A and D/S were placed above them (and not that many people complained). I found B/A's freedance this season unbearably shallow and fake and don't even know how they won medals with that. D/S' freedance at Worlds I prefered over V/M's and B/A's. I thought D/W, K/K and P/B had the most appealing freedances. So do I understand how D/S won Worlds? Nope. But then again I also don't understand how B/A are always winning medals.

Thankfully dance judging isn't soley based on who had the more interesting program. Most of the marks are derived from the content of those programs. Think about Evgeny Plushenko's gold medal winning program from Torino. Choreographically it was IMO boring and aside from the required elements Plushenko did nothing but stroke about in between requirements. However he met the requirements, did them very well and got big marks for them. People may not have liked his strategy and would probably have preferred that Plushenko made some effort to put more interesting highlight moves into the LP but that did not affect the quality of the required moves he did do.

As a B&A fan, I was disappointed in the choreography of B&A's OD and FD but again the required content was there and good enough to compete with the other top teams. As it's a new season I won't spend a lot of time arguing about the dance competition in L.A. but technically it is my opinion that B&A were so good in the CD and OD that even people who dislike them should be able to put aside the bias and recognize that.

DomShabs is a sad case for me. I loved their programs all the way through the 05/06 season. Since then even though IMO Oksana and Max on paper are one of the top teams but they haven't delivered. I haven't really liked any of their programs but more importantly because of Max's knees DomShabs haven't been able to step up the level of their performances. This is a shame because it only helps to "prove" that those who feel all their marks are given to them because of politicks. I do think that DomShabs deserved first place in the CD (I'm not sure how Max managed to skate that well) but definitely dropped off in the OD and FD.

One thing we can agree on is hating seeing the judges hold up a team. Awarding any team placements that are undeserved not only hurts the teams who should have been higher and further erodes the credibility of the sport but it also hurts the winning team inspite of that team being the reigning world champions.

If not for Max's badly damaged knees DomShabs could beat D&W without any help from the judges as long as they didn't implode. It seems that some feel blah choreography automatically means that team should get lower marks. But because of last season even if Max's knees magically repaired themselves and DomShabs were able to skate the way they used to be capable of people will never give them the credit for any future high placement.

Also we all know that what some think is garbage may be a program others like.

Trewyn

Medalist
Analysis in the light of COR... Especially Ladies; isn't it quite rare that all three of the medalists will face one another again in COR? Who will take the top spot now? Or will it be someone else? Looking for medals are definitely Yukari and Laura and maybe Sarah as well.
Miki and Yukari seem favorites right now; with Ashley, Alena and Laura three possibilities for bronze... It's going to be a nailbiter that competition! The qualification for the GPF is at stake here!