Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rachael Flatt

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Interesting point. Caroline is also very bubbly and animated in person, and yet it doesn't really show in her skating, except for this little encore (end of her JW 07 exhibition):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdPCiSRPwUY
    See what I mean about her having a little inner diva waiting to burst out?

I hope Rachael doesn't work too much on the 3A. I think if she doesn't have a fairly consistent 3A by 17, then she is more likely to injure herself seriously than to be able to incorporate that successfully into her competitive programs (her 17th b-day is coming up next month, btw). Mao had it already more or less rotated by 11, didn't she? And she's the most successful of the ladies with the jump, and even she doesn't have that high of success rate with it.

If Rachael could add a 3A it could really up her chances on the big stage. I agree it seems a bit late and possibly risky for her to be learning it now. She might be better off working on the presentation/artistic aspects of her skating.
    Thanks for the Gala clip of Caroline. The second part of it was a side of her I haven't seen before. So much fun and very cool to see her rock. What a contrast from her elegant and sophistcated competitive programs.

Tripping on the Podium
    God, I hope they pick the right music for her this season. When she's off ice, she's so bubbly and animated. I was really impressed by the national team pictures that she took because they conveyed those very things, whereas the others (bar Johnny) just looked like they were being told how to pose. I think that's what she should look for in music. I also agree that she has the best musicality of the entire US bunch, she pays attention to the music. I wonder if it's true that she'll be working on a triple axel this summer. I know there was an article somewhere where she said that she was excited about working on it again. I think that would really up her chances if she could get that. Then again, alot of people say they're working on alot of things so I guess we'll see. Wasn't Rachael getting higher PCS's than Caroline at WTT?

Custom Title
    Rachael is a rock-solid competitor. She seems to have no fear, she just goes out there and gets the job done. I think she and Caroline will make the Grand Prix Final this year.
    Last edited by PolymerBob; 06-04-2009 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Racheal is a rock-solid competitor. She seems to have no fear, she just goes out there and gets the job done. I think she and Caroline will make the Grand Prix Final this year.

The more I think about it I can see why US Skating felt a need to protect Rachael. It will be hard to stand out at TEB this year and Caroline's beautiful artistry will give her a better chance in Paris against a world class lineup. And Caroline was extremely well received by the French last season so it was not a surprise they wanted her back. (I remember, years ago how the Frenchies fell in love with another young American skater named Janet Lynn. Like Caroline, Janet did not win the competion - but received the loudest and longest ovation.)

Rachael, so solid and dependable, will probably do very well at SA against a much weaker field so there is a chance both girls will get off to a good start.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-03-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    The more I think about it I can see why US Skating felt a need to protect Rachael.
    The USFSA didn't really "protect" Rachael. As the only seeded U.S. lady (5th at worlds) she was all but guaranteed Skate America, and no matter where she went she was 100% guaranteed that she could never face more than one oif the top six.

The way the draw works, all the other U.S. ladies -- Caroline, Alissa, Sasha, Mirai, Ashley, Kimmie -- automatically must face two of the top six in each of their events. This would be true even if they had been selected for Skate America.
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-03-2009 at 10:07 PM.

[QUOTE=Mathman;398460]The USFSA didn't really "protect" Rachael. As the only seeded U.S. lady (5th at worlds) she was all but guaranteed Skate America, and no matter where she went she was 100% guaranteed that she could never face more than one oif the top six. QUOTE]

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
    Michael Corleone

OK - thanks for the brush up on the rules. That actually makes sense to me.

I think Caroline has to be tough and make a good showing at TEB. Rachael has to outskate Sasha at SA or the impression may stick in the judges minds - that Sasha is better than Rachael.
    That is if GP's actually do count for anything.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-03-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Rachael has to outskate Sasha at SA or the impression may stick in the judges minds - that Sasha is better than Rachael.
    That is if GP's actually do count for anything.
    I think the one for whom the Grand Prix is most important for is Sasha. If she does not finish at least in the top half at Eric Bompard, and then turns around and loses to Rachael and a couple of others at Skate America, the feeling will be that her comeback has failed. In that case I don't thinbk she will get any favors at nationals.

If she withdraws from either of her GP events, after all the drama, people will say, here we go again.

Rachael and Caroline, on the other hand -- we already know what they can do. If they come out in the fall in new and improved versions, so much the better. If they just do so-so in the Grand Prix, maybe pick up a bronze or two, well, OK, whatever -- on to Nationals.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    ITA with MM's first and last sentences.

But I think how Sasha does in the GP's could play out differently. IMO she gets a bit of a break at TEB since it's her first competition in 3.5 years - esp. if she struggles in the SP and has a great FP, but even the other way around could be fine. She needs to show brilliance, not to get on the podium.

As for SA, well, she does need to get on the podium and she needs to either beat Rachael or come very close. Mainly she needs to improve on TEB and, once again, show brilliance.

So if she comes in 4th or 5th at TEB and 2nd or 3rd at SA, I think she'll be in good shape for Nationals. If people are writing her off, so much the better. She's something of an underdog this season - maybe that will work for her. I'm fine with her peaking after New Year's.

^ On the other hand, the opposite might happen. Sasha might go to Paris with the eye of the tiger and cut the favorites down to size. Win Skate America outright and turn U.S. Nationals into a coronation instead of a competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ On the other hand, the opposite might happen. Sasha might go to Paris with the eye of the tiger and cut the favorites down to size. Win Skate America outright and turn U.S. Nationals into a coronation instead of a competition.
    If she doesn't cut them down and Caroline creeps in with a bronze, Sasha may withdraw from SA and just skate US Nationals. That's all she has to do is look competitively impressive at USNats. We have learned from previous posts that US Nats will weigh heaviest for naming the Oly Team.

As for Rachael - never my favorite, but I have to admit since I first saw her, I've seen the most improvement of any single skater for 2010. Not sure it will be enough but she's a fighter.

Tripping on the Podium
    Rachael is wicked consistent with solid technique. That's what I think makes her so successful right now. Unfortunately consistency is the achilles heel of the US ladies right now. I love Rachael's personality and enjoy her skating, but I don't think she has the same star quality from some of our previous greats.

To me, I feel like the US wants Caroline and Mirai to be our new Michelle/Sasha figures. However their inconsistency lands them short of someone like Rachael who refuses to be intimidated when she skates. But she is probably one of the smart choices for our team this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrystia Mee View Post
    To me, I feel like the US wants Caroline and Mirai to be our new Michelle/Sasha figures. However their inconsistency lands them short of someone like Rachael who refuses to be intimidated when she skates.
    This idea that Rachael is more consistent than Caroline is a myth. Caroline has landed at least as many triples as Rachael over the past two seasons, if not more, and certainly more 3-3's. Rachael's consistency is quite over-rated.

On the other hand, I think Rachael's presentation and skating abilities are a bit under-rated. She improved a lot in both toward the end of both of the past two seasons, and her PCS reflected that. While she doesn't display this innate "it" factor to most people, I think she has the potential to develop into a strong, confident, powerful skater like Joannie Rochette. And the way PCS is designed, someone like Joannie can garner a very high score despite not being naturally graceful or musical (of course she's very good in both departments by now, after so many years of practice and training and good coaching, but it was something she has had to work hard at).

Tripping on the Podium
    I think the reason Racheal is seen as more consistant than Caroline is because Caroline has at times not come through when everyone thought she would. She was supposed to be a shoe-in for the 2007 Junior National title, then didn't she have a mistakes in the short at 2008 Nationals that left her in seventh? Also, there was the short at this years Junior Worlds. Rachael has at times, not been her best, but she has never had a meltdown. Bad for her in having to create a new combo in the short or UR'ing her jumps sometimes. She usually good for doing exactly what you expect her to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrystia Mee View Post
    Rachael is wicked consistent with solid technique. That's what I think makes her so successful right now. Unfortunately consistency is the achilles heel of the US ladies right now. I love Rachael's personality and enjoy her skating, but I don't think she has the same star quality from some of our previous greats.
    Do the judges weigh heavily on Star quality more than solid jumps? What if MK came back. Isn't she the definition of Star quality? Sasha never beat her in the LP except in Moscow. Which skaters today satisfy the CoP?

To me, I feel like the US wants Caroline and Mirai to be our new Michelle/Sasha figures. However their inconsistency lands them short of someone like Rachael who refuses to be intimidated when she skates. But she is probably one of the smart choices for our team this year.
    I'm not so sure about the USFS wanting anyone in particular except Sasha to carry the torch at the conclusion of the Olys. She got her two favorite GPs. Becky Bereswill and Alexei Gilles just got one each.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I like watching Rachel's arms and hands as well as how expressive she is in her face. Her spins improved this past year even though she will never have the flexibility for great spins or spirals. Her jumps still look a little slow and labored to me, but she lands them no problem.

Rachael seems like a very "real" person as well as being very smart (amazing school record). I don't think she has the "it" factor required to be national champion, but then again Kimmie won without it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast