Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rachael Flatt

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Rachael seems like a very "real" person as well as being very smart (amazing school record). I don't think she has the "it" factor required to be national champion, but then again Kimmie won without it.
    Kimmie won in a year that had a very weak field. Plus, there are tough under-rotation and edge deduction rules in place now that really hurt her. She probably would've not won last year or this year with her winning National's skates back then.

On the other hand, I do think Rachael can win National's, "it" factor or not.
    Last edited by feraina; 06-04-2009 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I'm not so sure about the USFS wanting anyone in particular except Sasha to carry the torch at the conclusion of the Olys. She got her two favorite GPs. Becky Bereswill and Alexei Gilles just got one each.
    But Becky and Alexei each got one. One plus one equals two,, right?
    So it is practically the same thing

And actually, it is a flag that an athlete carries into the opening and closing ceremonies Joe.
    And the US athlete given that honor is selected by the the US Olympic Committee, not US Skating.
    All the torch stuff is typically handled by the host nation. Look for Wayne Gretsky to be one of the finalist for the torch lighting. Maybe Liz Manley, Karen Magnusson if she is still able.......but definitely a Canadian sporting legend will have that honor.
    There is one change being considered for the LP though. As a "returning" skater Sasha may be given two chances at her LP if she has trouble with her first LP.
    But Plushy will only have one chance since he is the reigning Gold medalist.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-05-2009 at 07:43 AM.

Custom Title
    Remember, there are rules, but there is also this powerful, mysterious committee that meets behind closed doors, protected by armed guards, that can still grant Becky and Alexe another spot ..................

........................ regardless of rules.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Remember, there are rules, but there is also this powerful, mysterious committee that meets behind closed doors, protected by armed guards, that can still grant Becky and Alexe another spot ..................

........................ regardless of rules.
    The rules allow either Becky or Alexe to be "TBA" at Skate America (or Bebe), or some other skater altogether like Laney Diggs if she goes senior.

I think the USFSA will wait and see who does the best in their first event before giving that one out.

No bending of the rules is necessary. That is just what these TBA's are for -- so that the host federation can wait and see and make their decision later based on fuller information.

Just like the TBAs at TEB, reserved for two more French skaters. They probably want to wait until after various summer competitions before deciding which two French skaters to send, after Candice Didier.
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-04-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I don't think [Rachel] has the "it" factor required to be national champion
    When since the "it" factor is REQUIRED to win? I thought all you had to do was be better than the other guys.
    Last edited by R.D.; 06-04-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: clarify quote

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    When since the "it" factor is REQUIRED to win? I thought all you had to do was be better than the other guys.
    Someone just expressing an opinion.
    I was happy and proud of Rachael after her LP at world's and a 5th place finish was more than respectable for her first trip. She did make a couple of mistakes in her SP so even though she is very reliable, anyone can make mistakes.
    It feels like many fans here would like to see Racahel and Caroline as the two who will go to Vancouver from USA. But I have a feeling that won't happen.

Rinkside
    Rachael, above all US Lady skaters, improved so much since last year that she is leading the pack. She's cool on the ice, and I hope she makes the Oly Team.
    i agree. hope to see her on olympic!

Custom Title
    Lets for one minute assume that each skater will skate their perfect best. I will place them in the following order:

GOLD. Kwan - assuming she returns, with her presence alone can bring the house down.

SILVER - Sasha, Flatt, Caroline, Nagasu, Czisny

BRONZE - Wagner, Bebe, Gilles, Hughes, Meissner

All others

However, staying with the topic of Rachel Flatt I feel that she was robbed the last two nationals. Realistically she should have won 2008 and definitely 2009. I don't know what else she could do to get higher scores other than do a quad and triple axel. She has great musicality but, her style is not for everyone. I hope she picks better music this coming season. I thinks she understands that she is never the favorite among the American girls. At 17, she will not gain any more flexibility so forget that. Her revenge is to skate clean, buy a pretty dress and select pleasing music.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    Lets for one minute assume that each skater will skate their perfect best. I will place them in the following order:

GOLD. Kwan - assuming she returns, with her presence alone can bring the house down.

SILVER - Sasha, Flatt, Caroline, Nagasu, Czisny

BRONZE - Wagner, Bebe, Gilles, Hughes, Meissner
    Kind of silly. Sasha and maybe Alissa would be on top if they skated their "perfect best" since their only serious problem has always been the inability to complete all their planned elements. I'm not sure whether Michelle Kwan would be on par with that under CoP --- it depends on whether her perfect best would include enough high-point technical elements. And I don't think the new girls would have the polish to compete directly with any of the aforementioned three skating "perfectly."

Custom Title
    I thinks she understands that she is never the favorite among the American girls.
    I'm curious; why do you think this? She might not be the favourite internationally, but nationally I'd say she is. She's right on track to make the Olympic team and win Nationals: almost guaranteed a spot at the GPF due to her assignments; placing a respectable 5th at her 1st Worlds; being the bridesmaid at 2 Nats in a row. Rachael's ripe for rewards, you could say. She's the only surefire bet the USFSA has at this point because she has no glaring weaknesses; Caroline would be right alongside Rachael, too, but she leaves room for judges to mark her down because of her iffy technique.

Right now, Rachael is the most expressive of the U.S. ladies in competition; this belief has been further strengthened by what I saw at the WTT. I'm also 99.99% sure Rachael will make the Olympic team.

That being said, I'm not happy both her new programs are choreographed by Lori Nichol. Bad move, Rachael, bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Kimmie won in a year that had a very weak field.
    Are you really saying that Sasha, Fumie, and Sokolova are weak skaters?

Custom Title
    Are you really saying that Sasha, Fumie, and Sokolova are weak skaters?
    Fumie and Sokolova are weak skaters- compared to Irina and Shizuka. Sasha just skated weak.

Either way Kimmie was a world champion and no one can take that away from her.

Why am I reading a lot of predictions of gold medals by ardent fans of the predictee.

And why is it that no one ever sends a note that they were absolutely wrong that their favorite didn't win after the comp?

Best thing to do is enjoy the best skates. that night There are usually more than one, and then comment on who should have won.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    I'm curious; why do you think this?
    I think this, because she has skated very solid in the past and has not received the marks for it. When she had her debut she did not have the same impact that Nam, Sasha, Nagasu, Sarah, Kwan or Caroline had. While she is strong she has no one quality that stands out. However, I do feel that people are starting to develop a serious respect for this girl.

At Nationals I don't know how she could keep her head up after Alissa won with only 3 triples. I would have been pissed. If next year she wins another silver she should go Bonaly(1994 Worlds) on them. I applaud her and I have always been a fan since I first saw her.

I remember Galindo once saying "if you skate strong enough they are bound to notice you" or something to that affect.

Custom Title
    I think this, because she has skated very solid in the past and has not received the marks for it. When she had her debut she did not have the same impact that Nam, Sasha, Nagasu, Sarah, Kwan or Caroline had. While she is strong she has no one quality that stands out. However, I do feel that people are starting to develop a serious respect for this girl.

At Nationals I don't know how she could keep her head up after Alissa won with only 3 triples. I would have been pissed. If next year she wins another silver she should go Bonaly(1994 Worlds) on them. I applaud her and I have always been a fan since I first saw her.

I remember Galindo once saying "if you skate strong enough they are bound to notice you" or something to that affect.

GO BONALY!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast