Keeping New Music Secret..??? | Golden Skate

Keeping New Music Secret..???

janetfan

Match Penalty
I just read that Orser said Yuna has finished her new LP choreo for next season and will begin working on her new SP next week. He said the music will be kept secret until the start of next season. Seems like we heard the same thing from Tat last month regarding Mao's new music for 2010.
Does anybody see any benefit to keeping new music underwraps until the season begins? Part of me hopes Mao and Yuna have selected the same music for their LP's next season :cool: Keeping it secret until the start of next season would make it tough for either of them to change at such a late date.
I do see a risk of being duplicated by several other skaters by keeping music selections secret. I do not see any advantage? Any thoughts - or can someone tell me what advantage is gained by guarding new program music like it is a state secret?

Last edited:

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
I would guess by keeping the music a secret, the skater creates more anticipation among us fans! (Also, you don't release the soundtrack before the movie is in the theater...)

I for one do not hope Yuna and Mao have chosen the same music

merrybari

Final Flight
Frankly I see no benefit to keeping it a secret. Each skater will bring a different interpretation - not to mention a different cut - to the music. If it IS the same, so much the better for anticipation. What will this one do that the other won't? etc.

Keeping it secret seems more passive and insecure to me. Putting it out there is more assertive and denotes confidence. JMO. *shrug*

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Aaaaaah! But without secrecy, there would be no speculation! Skating boards thrive on massive amounts of speculation! :rofl:

By being seldom seen, I could not stir
But, like a comet, I was wond'red at;
That men would tell their children, 'This is she!'
Others would say, 'Where? Which is Kim Yuna?'

Thus did I keep my programs fresh and new,
My music, never heard but wond'red at;
and so it showed itself at last, a rare and sumptuous feast. :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Well she certainly is on top of things. I guess they keep us in suspense partially for the drama, and partially because if things don't work out and she winds up changing her music, we all won't wonder what happened. Also maybe they are trying to avoid other skaters trying to create drama by purposely choosing the same music.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
being a self proclaimed "old timer" skating fan, I would think you'd be used to it by now as it's common practice... especially for an Olympic season. ;)

I don't understand it much, either, though you don't want the competition to get an idea and skate to similar music to maybe show how much better they are at a style than you are...

or pull a Witt and skate to your program during a practice because you're both using the same music...

I think it helps in some ways because you're not constantly thinking about what music they chose, sure you're curious (hey if fans are rivals must be, too, right?) and how their music might be so much better than what you've chosen (or had chosen for you).

But basically it boils down to tradition... IMHO.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Frankly I see no benefit to keeping it a secret. Each skater will bring a different interpretation - not to mention a different cut - to the music. If it IS the same, so much the better for anticipation. What will this one do that the other won't? etc.

Keeping it secret seems more passive and insecure to me. Putting it out there is more assertive and denotes confidence. JMO. *shrug*

So far merrybari's post seems to make the most sense to me.
I remember Calgary '88 and the "Showdown of the Carmens." The fact that Kat and Debbi both chose "Carmen" actually heightened the interest and people talked about their interpretations, costumes, and makeup. There also was a difference in the way the music was chosen and cut so rather than being seen as a negative, the two favorites skating to "Carmen" added to the excitement.
No one has really given a strong legit reason for the secrecy - although mathman showed some passion with his lovely poem.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sure it was entertaining for you, but it added stress - Debi Thomas speaks about it quite regularly (in response to media questions).... she didn't find it quite as much fun.

janetfan

Match Penalty
sure it was entertaining for you, but it added stress - Debi Thomas speaks about it quite regularly (in response to media questions).... she didn't find it quite as much fun.

Hey, if I was the only one who enjoyed it then I am sorry. But you are forgetting millions and millions of viewers around the world who also may have enjoyed it.
I was rooting for Debi and it appeared she was done in by the stress. There were other factors that may have added to her stress as well.
But what if Yuna and Mao keep there music secret until october and it turns out they have the same music. If one of them gets stressed I will not feel any guilt as I think it is a silly idea keeping it secret to begin with. :yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I highly doubt the competitive skaters are wondering what is best for the fans/viewership... and if they are then they should quit competiting and just work with shows and rebuild the professional skating world...

I would hope that the skaters are focussed on their upcoming season... let the fans sit and wait and wonder (or not, to be honest I'm happy to wait. I could care less and have yet to get my panties in a knot waiting to know what everyone is skating to)...

antmanb

Record Breaker
But what if Yuna and Mao keep there music secret until october and it turns out they have the same music. If one of them gets stressed I will not feel any guilt as I think it is a silly idea keeping it secret to begin with. :yes:

Why would you (generic you) feel guilt if they skated to the same music, whether they knew in advance or didn't? :scratch:

Also I find it strange that anyone thinks that a skater should change their music choice just because someone else chose it too for the same season. Even one of the warhorses would use different cuts etc. I think it would rock a skater who has finished the choregoraphy of the programme, if they are happy with the programme with their eye on the Olympics. Why would you change? Apparently for 2006 Slutskaya and Kwan were to skate to the same music int he SP weren't they? Of course Kwan never competed but neither of them were scrabbling about trying to find a new piece of music.

And about finding out in advance about the music choice, i suspect if i were a skater, i'd prefer the fans to find out the music at the same time that I performed to it, that way you judge the thing as a whole. If you announce five months in advance what the music will be, the fans have 5 months to complain how wrong the music is and have ajaded view fo the programme the first time they watch it (i've lost count of hte number of tmies this has happened), or conversely it can build up their expectations for how the programme might/should look and those fans can end up disappointed.

Ant

Last edited:

Danale

On the Ice
By being seldom seen, I could not stir
But, like a comet, I was wond'red at;
That men would tell their children, 'This is she!'
Others would say, 'Where? Which is Kim Yuna?'

Thus did I keep my programs fresh and new,
My music, never heard but wond'red at;
and so it showed itself at last, a rare and sumptuous feast. :)
Nice MM.
You should consider changing your nickname to ShakespeareMan or HenryIVMan:biggrin:

And about finding out in advance about the music choice, i suspect if i were a skater, i'd prefer the fans to find out the music at the same time that I performed to it, that way you judge the thing as a whole. If you announce five months in advance what the music will be, the fans have 5 months to complain how wrong the music is and have ajaded view fo the programme the first time they watch it (i've lost count of hte number of tmies this has happened), or conversely it can build up their expectations for how the programme and those fans can end up disappointed.
Ant
Now that make most sense to me. Judging the program as a whole. Nothing to add.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Even if fans know the music, from the piece we know, to the one they will use, with all the cuts etc, there is a big distance, so I can never imagine a program even if i know the music 5 months ago.
I prefer they dont skate to the same music though, the only reason is that there are so many pieces of music that I wish I can see from any skater, plus there will be among the top skaters the unavoidable carmens and dalidahs, so it is good to have some diversity.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
being a self proclaimed "old timer" skating fan, I would think you'd be used to it by now as it's common practice... especially for an Olympic season. ;)

I don't understand it much, either, though you don't want the competition to get an idea and skate to similar music to maybe show how much better they are at a style than you are...

or pull a Witt and skate to your program during a practice because you're both using the same music...

I think it helps in some ways because you're not constantly thinking about what music they chose, sure you're curious (hey if fans are rivals must be, too, right?) and how their music might be so much better than what you've chosen (or had chosen for you).

But basically it boils down to tradition... IMHO.

I can't recall such a fuss about music in general and have no recollection growing up of skater's keeping their music secret. Did Peggy or Dorothy keep their music secret? I don't remember. Did they release statements to the press they were keeping their new music secret? Again, I don't remember but I highly doubt it. Maybe they did - but in a pre-internet world - not that many were listening. Many skaters have already announced their music for next season.. Only a couple have made an announcement that it is being kept secret. I find announcing to the press that new music will be kept secret odd. Is it a play for publicity? Is it a sign of paranoia or an example of egotisitical behavior? A bit of gamesmanship perhaps?
Whatever - I don't lay awake nights wondering what music Yuna or Mao will be skating to next season and if this sort of behavior is "tradition" it is something that I apparently missed.
I am very curious to see Caroline's new programs. Of course music will be a key element but that is not what I am curious about. It is about seeing how much her skating may have progressed. Seeing how she skates after her growth spurt. Seeing her jumps and other elements. As a professional musician I am very aware and happy that music plays an important part in a skater's presentation - and can help show off a skater's artistry - or lack of it.

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
I can't recall such a fuss about music in general and have no recollection growing up of skater's keeping their music secret. Did Peggy or Dorothy keep their music secret? I don't remember. Did they release statements to the press they were keeping their new music secret? Again, I don't remember but I highly doubt it. Maybe they did - but in a pre-internet world - not that many were listening. Many skaters have already announced their music for next season.. Only a couple have made an announcement that it is being kept secret. I find announcing to the press that new music will be kept secret odd. Is it a play for publicity? Is it a sign of paranoia or an example of egotisitical behavior? A bit of gamesmanship perhaps?
Whatever - I don't lay awake nights wondering what music Yuna or Mao will be skating to next season and if this sort of behavior is "tradition" it is something that I apparently missed.
I am very curious to see Caroline's new programs. Of course music will be a key element but that is not what I am curious about. It is about seeing how much her skating may have progressed. Seeing how she skates after her growth spurt. Seeing her jumps and other elements. As a professional musician I am very aware and happy that music plays an important part in a skater's presentation - and can show a skater's artistry - or lack of it.

Well said! I get curious waiting to hear what it will be and excited to see what the skater (+team) have come up with when I know ahead of time. Both are good feelings leading to the anticipation for the season. Nothing bad about feeling good.

But, like you, I don't stay awake nights wondering about it. Just enjoying it.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Many skaters have already announced their music for next season.. Only a couple have made an announcement that it is being kept secret. I find announcing to the press that new music will be kept secret odd. Is it a play for publicity? Is it a sign of paranoia or an example of egotisitical behavior? A bit of gamesmanship perhaps?

I think it is as simple as this:

Reporter: Can you tell me what music you'll be skating to in the up coming season?

Skater: I'd rather keep it to myself for now thanks.

And the skate fans over analyze it til they're blue in the face because they've got nothing better to do in the off season!!

I mean come on, why do people care so much? Do the skaters owe you anything? Should they have to tell you their music? What if at this stage the music and choreography are done but then they have a change of heart and go to the piece originally in the number 2 slot? Why should skaters have to make any of these decisions out in the open?

Why don't skate fans accept that they simply won't have all of the information available months in advance of the competitions and move on :rolleye:

Ant

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think it is as simple as this:

Reporter: Can you tell me what music you'll be skating to in the up coming season?

Skater: I'd rather keep it to myself for now thanks.

And the skate fans over analyze it til they're blue in the face because they've got nothing better to do in the off season!!

I mean come on, why do people care so much? Do the skaters owe you anything? Should they have to tell you their music? What if at this stage the music and choreography are done but then they have a change of heart and go to the piece originally in the number 2 slot? Why should skaters have to make any of these decisions out in the open?

Why don't skate fans accept that they simply won't have all of the information available months in advance of the competitions and move on :rolleye:

Ant

I don't mind waiting and I never gave it much thought until reading Tat's statement - which if I recall - went past what you used as a generic example of a coach answering a reporter.
I started this topic because I was curious about the posturing of certain competing camps and wondered if anyone else found it... umm......odd.....necessary.....silly.... or pompous.
I now find myself wondering how Yuna will keep her music secret when she practices at a club that frequently has visitors. I don't give a hoot about her music - but am curious to what lengths her camp will go to keep it secret. There are many other skater's training there too. Have the other skaters taken an oath of silence? :p Are visitors at the cricket Club forced to wear some sort of device that will block their hearing. :laugh: Or maybe Yuna does her run throughs using headphones so, god forbid, none of the public that may be watching will hear a note of her music :laugh:
And what of Mao? Does the ever tricky Tat have Mao sequestered - maybe practicing in a gulag ;) Or maybe both camps have hired armed guards and are using screening devices to make sure no one is smuggling in a any type of recording device when their skaters are practicing. :p
Yes, any skater has the right to announce their music or to try and keep it under wraps. It was really the fact that the co-favorites for the OGM have made announcements that their music will remain secret until the start of the season that made me wonder about this. I find this amusing and could care less what either girl will skate to. I do think it would be somewhat ironic - and for me humourous - if by chance they have both picked the same music. :biggrin:
I agree with your comments about this and don't think fans have any right to know about a skater's music. But I also don't see that it would do much harm - or help or hinder a skater's chances in Vancouver. That is what I was curious about - not their music - but if keeping it secret will give an edge - and if so why.

Last edited: