Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Keeping New Music Secret..???

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I can't recall such a fuss about music in general and have no recollection growing up of skater's keeping their music secret. Did Peggy or Dorothy keep their music secret? I don't remember. Did they release statements to the press they were keeping their new music secret? Again, I don't remember but I highly doubt it. Maybe they did - but in a pre-internet world - not that many were listening. Many skaters have already announced their music for next season.. Only a couple have made an announcement that it is being kept secret. I find announcing to the press that new music will be kept secret odd. Is it a play for publicity? Is it a sign of paranoia or an example of egotisitical behavior? A bit of gamesmanship perhaps?
    Whatever - I don't lay awake nights wondering what music Yuna or Mao will be skating to next season and if this sort of behavior is "tradition" it is something that I apparently missed.
    I am very curious to see Caroline's new programs. Of course music will be a key element but that is not what I am curious about. It is about seeing how much her skating may have progressed. Seeing how she skates after her growth spurt. Seeing her jumps and other elements. As a professional musician I am very aware and happy that music plays an important part in a skater's presentation - and can show a skater's artistry - or lack of it.

Well said! I get curious waiting to hear what it will be and excited to see what the skater (+team) have come up with when I know ahead of time. Both are good feelings leading to the anticipation for the season. Nothing bad about feeling good.

But, like you, I don't stay awake nights wondering about it. Just enjoying it.

Many skaters have already announced their music for next season.. Only a couple have made an announcement that it is being kept secret. I find announcing to the press that new music will be kept secret odd. Is it a play for publicity? Is it a sign of paranoia or an example of egotisitical behavior? A bit of gamesmanship perhaps?
    I think it is as simple as this:

Reporter: Can you tell me what music you'll be skating to in the up coming season?

Skater: I'd rather keep it to myself for now thanks.

And the skate fans over analyze it til they're blue in the face because they've got nothing better to do in the off season!!

I mean come on, why do people care so much? Do the skaters owe you anything? Should they have to tell you their music? What if at this stage the music and choreography are done but then they have a change of heart and go to the piece originally in the number 2 slot? Why should skaters have to make any of these decisions out in the open?

Why don't skate fans accept that they simply won't have all of the information available months in advance of the competitions and move on

Ant

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    And the skate fans over analyze it til they're blue in the face

(blue)

I think it is as simple as this:

Reporter: Can you tell me what music you'll be skating to in the up coming season?

Skater: I'd rather keep it to myself for now thanks.

And the skate fans over analyze it til they're blue in the face because they've got nothing better to do in the off season!!

I mean come on, why do people care so much? Do the skaters owe you anything? Should they have to tell you their music? What if at this stage the music and choreography are done but then they have a change of heart and go to the piece originally in the number 2 slot? Why should skaters have to make any of these decisions out in the open?

Why don't skate fans accept that they simply won't have all of the information available months in advance of the competitions and move on

Ant

I don't mind waiting and I never gave it much thought until reading Tat's statement - which if I recall - went past what you used as a generic example of a coach answering a reporter.
    I started this topic because I was curious about the posturing of certain competing camps and wondered if anyone else found it... umm......odd.....necessary.....silly.... or pompous.
    I now find myself wondering how Yuna will keep her music secret when she practices at a club that frequently has visitors. I don't give a hoot about her music - but am curious to what lengths her camp will go to keep it secret. There are many other skater's training there too. Have the other skaters taken an oath of silence? Are visitors at the cricket Club forced to wear some sort of device that will block their hearing. Or maybe Yuna does her run throughs using headphones so, god forbid, none of the public that may be watching will hear a note of her music
    And what of Mao? Does the ever tricky Tat have Mao sequestered - maybe practicing in a gulag Or maybe both camps have hired armed guards and are using screening devices to make sure no one is smuggling in a any type of recording device when their skaters are practicing.
    Yes, any skater has the right to announce their music or to try and keep it under wraps. It was really the fact that the co-favorites for the OGM have made announcements that their music will remain secret until the start of the season that made me wonder about this. I find this amusing and could care less what either girl will skate to. I do think it would be somewhat ironic - and for me humourous - if by chance they have both picked the same music.
    I agree with your comments about this and don't think fans have any right to know about a skater's music. But I also don't see that it would do much harm - or help or hinder a skater's chances in Vancouver. That is what I was curious about - not their music - but if keeping it secret will give an edge - and if so why.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-04-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post

(blue)

You crack me up seniorita!! I might even cheer for Plush now (just for you!)

Ant

Ant

Yes, and being that Plushy has already announced his music I will cheer for him too. Thankyou Plushy for giving me peace of mind and the abilty to get a good night's sleep.

I now find myself wondering how Yuna will keep her music secret when she practices at a club that frequently has visitors. I don't give a hoot about her music - but am curious to what lengths her camp will go to keep it secret. There are many other skater's training there too. Have the other skaters taken an oath of silence? Are visitors at the cricket Club forced to wear some sort of device that will block their hearing. Or maybe Yuna does her run throughs using headphones so, god forbid, none of the public that may be watching will hear a note of her music
    And what of Mao? Does the ever tricky Tat have Mao sequestered - maybe practicing in a gulag Or maybe both camps have hired armed guards and are using screening devices to make sure no one is smuggling in a any type of recording device when their skaters are practicing.

Well i've given the reasons why I personally, if I was a skater would not announce the music i was using.

That aside, despite the comic picture you paint of how people keep their music a secret, it's a simple "gentlemen's agreement". The presumption is - unless a skater/pair/dance team has formally announced their music, you assume that they do not want it broadcast to the rest of the world so you do not post it in a public forum/talk to the press about it.

The Kerrs used to train at my rink part time and sometimes do still come back and practice every now again. There was one season where their website said they were keeping their music choices close to their chest until competition time. I got to see them training their OD and FD and was therefore privy to their music choices. No-one held a gun to my head, nor did i sign a confidentiality agreement, i just respected the skaters wishes and kept schtum.

Ant

Well i've given the reasons why I personally, if I was a skater would not announce the music i was using.

That aside, despite the comic picture you paint of how people keep their music a secret, it's a simple "gentlemen's agreement". The presumption is - unless a skater/pair/dance team has formally announced their music, you assume that they do not want it broadcast to the rest of the world so you do not post it in a public forum/talk to the press about it.

The Kerrs used to train at my rink part time and sometimes do still come back and practice every now again. There was one season where their website said they were keeping their music choices close to their chest until competition time. I got to see them training their OD and FD and was therefore privy to their music choices. No-one held a gun to my head, nor did i sign a confidentiality agreement, i just respected the skaters wishes and kept schtum.

Ant
    Thanks ant. BTW, have you ever considered that the music you heard when the Kerr's were practicing was loaded with subliminal messages that effected your subconsious - thus making it impossible for you to mention or even remember the Kerr's music? OK, maybe that's a stretch, even for me
    Another possibilty would be for a skater's camp to intentionally announce the wrong music - enabling them to keep their music secret while simultaneously throwing competing camps and their fan bases into a tizzy - or a panic - or whatever effect new music selection is supposed to have.
    Whatever - I just wondered about this and thankyou for your posts on this topic.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-04-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks ant. BTW, have you ever considered that the music you heard when the Kerr's were practicing was loaded with subliminal messages that effected your subconsious - thus making it impossible for you to mention or even remember the Kerr's music? OK, maybe that's a stretch, even for me
    Another possibilty would be for a skater's camp to intentionally announce the wrong music - enabling them to keep their music secret while simultaneously throwing competing camps and their fan bases in a a tizzy - or a panic - or whatever effect new music selection is supposed to have.
    Whatever - I just wondered about this and thankyou for your posts on this topic.

I don't think anyone views it as a "secret" or that it's a particularly well guarded secret.

I think it just boils down to the fact that most elite skaters are on special elite training sessions at the rink, when they are not they're still on "patch" ice that is only attended by other skaters. mostly this is during the day so most people who work wouldn't be on those quieter sessions and hey presto, the info never leaks!

But you did get me thinknig whether skaters might have used subliminal messaging in their music choices in the past to get them better results

Ant

I know in some rings it s forbidden to monitor or photo or record for obvious reasons, last summer, that plush was in training camps of mishin supposedly to come back this season, many people had gone to watch his practices in italy but mishin told them not to spread the word, and somehow the music was kept secret (it was Samuel Barber - Adagio, Op.11 by the way) although fans,skaters and footballers that trained together knew.
    We tortured many of them but as Ant said, it is was a silent agreement and nobody said anything until it was clear he wouldnt compete.

Ant
    your post honestly made me smile big I m honoured!
    I know you will, but I ll keep a copy of this message to remind you in automn, just in case
    Last edited by seniorita; 06-04-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    your post honestly made me smile I m honoured!
    I know you will, but I ll keep a copy of this message to remind you in automn, just in case
    Damn you forcnig me to committ that to writing, when i might not mean it!

What if i cheer loudly at home when he takes to the ice, but then reserve my right to criticise any unnecessary posing, sloppy footwork, pelvic grinding, crazy flapping arms....

Ant

But you did get me thinknig whether skaters might have used subliminal messaging in their music choices in the past to get them better results
    Ant

Be careful. Be very careful!! That is supposed to be a secret. But it has not always worked. Back in 2002 a certain federation had a certain skater's music loaded with subliminal messages. But they blundered by not paying the bill. The company working on this got pissed and loaded the following message, "give her Silver, give her Silver." Just to be safe, they also added "no triple triple, no triple triple"
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.

What if i cheer loudly at home when he takes to the ice, but then reserve my right to criticise any unnecessary posing, sloppy footwork, pelvic grinding, crazy flapping arms....
    Hmmm, or...what IF you cheer loudly at home when he takes to the ice, but then reserve your right to remain silent in forum, anything you say or do can be used against you? (the other way around is not an option )

alright, someone take ant's punch glass away from him. now he's just getting too silly. time to cut him off

Custom Title
    I believe Yuna meant to keep her music choices secret last season as well. Fortunately (for us), someone spoiled her music. IA with janetfan it will be extremely difficult for her team to keep it secret with Cricket club being pretty open. Mao practices in her private link, so it will be easier for her, but she will need cooperation from the media.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast