Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Keeping New Music Secret..???

Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    You are absolutely right. It's silly to assume a skater keeping a music choice quiet has a special reason for doing so. Some skaters do not know the proper name of their music, or the correct papers still need to be filed to obtain approval for the music, or a federation needs to be informed, or several pieces are being considered and no one wants to make a premature announcement.
    You just gave a bunch of reasons - none of which sound silly to me. In fact they all sound quite valid.

Custom Title
    Seems some folks, like skaters, enjoy changing their tunes.

On the question, do other skaters know about competitors' music choices before the general public does -- in my experience, many skaters pay less attention to the activities (especially off-season) of their competitors than hardcore fans do. Sometimes skaters are a bit oblivious about things like their competitors' coaching changes, music choices, etc. until said choices are presented in competition. The exception would be skaters training in the same rink or general area, and of course some ice dancers.

In the case of Patrick or Yukari, both of whom have already announced their music I woudn't be that surprised if their music selections were quietly floating around the skating community before a formal public announcement was made.
    What about Plushy? He announced his music - but I think seniorita said he kept it quiet while he was still considering his comeback.
    In the case of Mao, Tat said Mao's music selections would be kept secret until the start of the season. Now Brian has just said the same thing about Yuna's music. It sounds to me like they are serious and this is anything but "nothing" to them. Indeed, if it was nothing then why in the world would they bother to keep it secret. Why would they make an announcement about "nothing." It is obviously "something" in their own minds and a part of their strategic thinking. Whatever it is, whatever their reasons it seems important enough for them to want to keep it secret. Does that sound like nothing? I don't think so. Not to me anyway.

I think it is part gamesmanship - a pysche job - trying to get any advantage possible over rivals. I can't think of any other worthwhile reason to keep music selections secret until the start of a new season.
    Like nylynnr said, some of this stuff - coaching changes and music may be more important to many of the fans than it is to skaters. Somwhere in a rink Rachael may be skating right now and she is not aware that Caro K has just left her coach. She may not hear for a few days or even a week depending on her schedule, and how busy she is right now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Seems some folks, like skaters, enjoy changing their tunes.

On the question, do other skaters know about competitors' music choices before the general public does -- in my experience, many skaters pay less attention to the activities (especially off-season) of their competitors than hardcore fans do. Sometimes skaters are a bit oblivious about things like their competitors' coaching changes, music choices, etc. until said choices are presented in competition. The exception would be skaters training in the same rink or general area, and of course some ice dancers.
    Those are some good points. I guess I was thinking more in terms of the skating community (skaters, coaches, choreographers, etc) and the gossip that is passed around between them the fans aren't privy to.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingbc View Post
    Those are some good points. I guess I was thinking more in terms of the skating community (skaters, coaches, choreographers, etc) and the gossip that is passed around between them the fans aren't privy to.
    It depends on the skaters, but as I said earlier, sometimes I find skaters are less aware of what's going on with rivals than fans are. If skaters gossip, could be it's about topics other than music. For example, last season Ando and Nakano -- direct rivals for spots on the Japanese world team -- both picked "Giselle" for their frees. For whatever reason, Ando and Morozov, at least, were unaware of that for some of the off-season.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    What about Plushy? He announced his music - but I think seniorita said he kept it quiet while he was still considering his comeback.
    by the way-and while i m pretty sure i m off topic-it 's been floating that there are some problems with his tango music, pisiev confirmed it in an interview.

yes i was thinking the same, maybe I cannot know yuna's music, is it realistic that coaches etc dont have their spies or it is not known in the circles of fs?I dont know what 's the use though of knowing your competitors music, for example what's the use if mao learnt that yuna has carmen(i hope not) other than maybe having to chose also powerful and well known music?I like if skaters were preparing for their maximum and shoot with their own best guns and not with what might beat their competitors.I hope i make sense.

I for one think it's a great strategy.

Keep your opponents trembling in their boots, thinking, "Ooh, what if Yu-na comes up with such an exquisite piece of music, such a drop--dead costume, such a marvelous Ina Bauer entrance into a triple loop that I won't have a chance!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I for one think it's a great strategy.

Keep your opponents trembling in their boots, thinking, "Ooh, what if Yu-na comes up with such an exquisite piece of music, such a drop--dead costume, such a marvelous Ina Bauer entrance into a triple loop that I won't have a chance!"
    I will believe Yuna going from an Ina Bauer into a triple loop when I see it mm

Yes, no one has really talked about the "trembling in their boots" strategy.
    There is also the old Harding "smash their knee cap" strategy which can be used when the "trembling in your boots" strategy does not appear to be working But like "secret music" strategy, the Harding "knee cap" strategy leads to suspicion. It is not always so easy to keep it secret either
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-04-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I will believe Yuna going from an Ina Bauer into a triple loop when I see it mm
    Well, see, that's the whole point of the strategy. Of course Yu-na can't do a triple loop out of an Ina Bauer....can she?...CAN SHE?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar

yes she can but dont tell anyone. rumors also that she does another bauer on the exit of loop.
    her costume will be purple with orange sequins and a tale à la tatiana navka in torino.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post

yes she can but dont tell anyone. rumors also that she does another bauer on the exit of loop.
    her costume will be purple with orange sequins and a tale à la tatiana navka in torino.
    and Tat has said more than once, "walls are thin and I have many servants,"
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-04-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Yu-Na's been having issues with the loop for a while... In competition, she can barely land it clean from a regular entrance. I doubt she could do one from an ina bauer. BUT an ina bauer exit from any jump would be quite pretty, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    Yu-Na's been having issues with the loop for a while... In competition, she can barely land it clean from a regular entrance. I doubt she could do one from an ina bauer. BUT an ina bauer exit from any jump would be quite pretty, I think.

Peggy used to do a spread eagle into a 2 A and right back to spread eagle.
    Is a "spread eagle" what we ancient one's call an "Ina Bauer?" Or are they similar but done on different edges?
    Peggy did this at 68 Natls , Olympics and Wolrds, all of which she won that year.

Thanks mm. And also thanks for using Shizuka as she brings new life to my tired old eyes

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast