New coach for Kostner? | Golden Skate

New coach for Kostner?

efreedman

On the Ice
This is an English translation directly from a German article. While it mentions that her prime target as new coach is Brian Orser, no decision has been made. I doubt if Brian would be amenable to this, given his commitment to YuNa.

"Kostner leaves Colonel village
The Italian Carolina Kostner, second the WM 2008, leaves its German Coach of many years Michael Huth after nearly nine years training in the achievement center Colonel village.

Where it leads the way, it wants to decide at the beginning of of July. A desire candidate of Kostner is the Canadian Brian Orser, which cares for also the current world champion Kim Yu-well from Korea.

Kostner drew the conclusion from its disappointing cutting off with the change in the past season. With the EM it had given the title gain and with the WM became it only to 12. "

gocaroline

On the Ice
To Brain Olser?:confused: I would think he is pretty busy with Yuna and Adam. Hope she is not really considering Brain.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I would be surprised if Brian takes her on as a student. I do think leaving Michael Huth is a good idea though. She and Tomas both seem to have some major concentration/mental issues when it comes to competing and I'm not so sure it's just a coincidence. Hopefully, this change is a positive one because when she is on, she is one of the best! I think that if she can get it all together, then she could be a major threat come Vancouver!

shallwedansu

On the Ice
Orser's name seems to pop up when it comes to coaching changes. I remember back when Adam left Morozov, people were speculating he would go to Orser. When Joubert was looking for a new coach, Orser's name came up a lot.

I don't know exactly why Orser seems to be the go-to guy, but maybe it's because he can help with the "major concentration/mental issues" as skatingbc said.

However, even if his name came up, I doubt Orser-Kostner will actually happen. IMO, it's too much talent in one guy's hands. But I understand Carolina's decision to switch coaches. After such a dismal season, maybe change is good.

Wicked

Final Flight
Can't see Kostner-Orser because of Brian's commitment to Yu-Na, but I think he might be a good fit for her. Wonder if Tomas will also make a change.

evangeline

Record Breaker
!!!

I think leaving Huth is definitely a good idea for Carolina, but part of me wonders if this is too little, too late. Starting with a new coach in July before an Olympic season doesn't leave much time for significant changes to happen, IMO.

Anyways, I agree with all the posters above--the chances of Orser taking Carolina under his wing are slim to nil. I think Stephane Lambiel's former coach Peter Grutter would definitely be a good (and more likely) option--the highest-ranking skater he's coaching at the moment is Samuel Contesti, who isn't exactly a medal contender. I just hope Carolina doesn't switch to Morozov, though....

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think we were all kind of waiting for this one. Rumors started right after worlds. Good choice, but I agree that it should have been made at least a year or two ago.

I just hope Carolina doesn't switch to Morozov, though....
Today 12:26 PM
:rofl::rofl: at the thought of her doing Morozovian choreography.

nylynnr

On the Ice
I don't know that Kostner would go to Brian Orser full time, but candidly I think he could do some good for her double Axel, which is about her worst jump. He gave a jump seminar at the recent PSA conference that lots of people just raved about.

berrycute

On the Ice
Yes, I thought this would happen too. I've heard she wants Orser (and it could happen, I mean, Morozov has two top Japanese ladies). But I have also heard Alexei Mishin and/or Alexei Urmanov as potential replacements too. Would she then have to move to Russia for a while?

eleonora.d

On the Ice
As I already pointed out in this post on this thread:
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27566&highlight=kostner+coach

Ok ,this is the situation:

After WC 2009, once again Huth's training method was critisized. There was a huge talk after that on the media but she didn't say nothing until a week ago when she was interviewed by the major newspaper of the nation, Corriere della Sera.

That's what she said, briefly:

She didn't know what happened and doesn't know how to explain that performance. She felt like she had a black-out and lost all the confidence after the first 3 flip hand down.

-she doesn't know yet if she will change coach. She always worked with Huth.
She only said she likes Orser very much but thinks it's very unlikely that he accepts more than one female top skater.

-the main problem turned out to be that she does not have any mental coach or sports psicologyst at least on a regular basis. So her main concern now is to find a professional help.

-She didn't decide yet about changes in her team (physioterapist, training method, coach etc) She will meet Huth later in April or so and then take a decision. Also, she will have to meet the federation (probably already happened or will happen this week).

Many suggested to work with Mishin. She already went to Jaca for his famous summer camp the past years and turned out to be a very helpful experience. I wish she could work with him on a regular basis especially during competitions, he seems to give a real boost of confidence to his students.

Also, many people of the media and figure skating world of Italy noticed that it's not very likely that she takes such a decision. She always stayed with Huth and right before Worlds stated that she credits him for everything good there is in her skating.

She often said that Oberstdorf was the ideal place for her with that peaceful environment where she can train without being distracted, with very good facilities and the best team.
After the Olympics, when she seemed to have had a similar mental meltdown , any suggested a coaching change but she always denied it.

Even if I know her skating career very well, I don't know what to think, but again I can't see her moving from Oberstdorf even if I wish a change. Some medias already stated there will be no changes.

..the thing about Orser was just a rumor. Right after Worlds, Carolina said she didn't know if to change coach or not. She just said she likes Brian Orser but is aware that he wouldn't probably accept 2 top skaters.
She did a skating camp with Urmanov in April, this is why there are rumors about him being her coach.

According to this article, she has decided to change but she will say which coach has chosen only at the end of June, when she'll be back from Toronto where she is training with Lori Nichol.
http://espresso.repubblica.it/dettaglio-local/carolina-nuovo-coach/2100649

I don't know if the sources of this article are true and she's actually leaving Oberstdorf, we can only wait for the end of the month to know.

feraina

Record Breaker
She's probably not saying because she hasn't finalized on a new coach yet. Maybe she wanted to float this idea, so that potentially interested coaches might approach her, or at least be prepared to be approached.

Personally I think Orser is the best ladies' coach out there currently. He has paid meticulous attention to Yu-na's training method and mentality and completely transformed her attitude as an athlete and image as a skater, all for the better. Yu-na was this talented but unhappy young girl who was delicate, injury-prone, and couldn't wait to retire from skating. Now she's very strong, athletic, confident, happy, and it all comes across in her skating. I can now see her competing after 2010 without an OGM, whereas a couple of years ago I thought she'd retire for sure no matter what. I think Brian Orser has done a phenomenal job with Yu-na, and everyone can see that. It's not just his technical training methods, but his humanity that comes through -- he seems to be really devoted to Yu-na and totally prepared to nurture her as not only a skater but as a person. Maybe ladies more often than boys need this kind of environment in order to thrive, though I can think of a few "delicate flower" among the male skaters too (Johnny comes to mind, recall how Galina chases after him with freshly ground pomogranate juice ;) ). And I do see that Carolina Kostner would totally benefit from Orser's guidance. But given how dedicated Orser is to Yu-na, I really can't see him taking on Carolina as well.

cosmos

On the Ice
She's probably not saying because she hasn't finalized on a new coach yet. Maybe she wanted to float this idea, so that potentially interested coaches might approach her, or at least be prepared to be approached.

Personally I think Orser is the best ladies' coach out there currently. He has paid meticulous attention to Yu-na's training method and mentality and completely transformed her attitude as an athlete and image as a skater, all for the better. Yu-na was this talented but unhappy young girl who was delicate, injury-prone, and couldn't wait to retire from skating. Now she's very strong, athletic, confident, happy, and it all comes across in her skating. I can now see her competing after 2010 without an OGM, whereas a couple of years ago I thought she'd retire for sure no matter what. I think Brian Orser has done a phenomenal job with Yu-na, and everyone can see that. It's not just his technical training methods, but his humanity that comes through -- he seems to be really devoted to Yu-na and totally prepared to nurture her as not only a skater but as a person. Maybe ladies more often than boys need this kind of environment in order to thrive, though I can think of a few "delicate flower" among the male skaters too (Johnny comes to mind, recall how Galina chases after him with freshly ground pomogranate juice ;) ). And I do see that Carolina Kostner would totally benefit from Orser's guidance. But given how dedicated Orser is to Yu-na, I really can't see him taking on Carolina as well.

For the humanity and environment factor, it would be fair to credit not only Orser but D. Wilson and T. Wilson, I mean the whole coaching team. Just my impression.

Last edited:

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I agree with much that has been said here. I think that she should have left Huth earlier rather than right now - it's a tough time to swap coaches. Brian would be a good coach for her, but I don't think he'll agree as he's got Yu-Na. As most people said, Nikolai Morozov wouldn't be agood choice.
Concerning Mishin, I'd have been for, if this would have been another season than the Olympic season, as a transition coach, to work on some basic skills and work on rigoroussness. However, I don't think Mishin could enable her to get an Olympic medal. Peter Grütter sounds like a good option.
What do you guys think about Priscilla Hill?

berrycute

On the Ice
I agree with much that has been said here. I think that she should have left Huth earlier rather than right now - it's a tough time to swap coaches. Brian would be a good coach for her, but I don't think he'll agree as he's got Yu-Na. As most people said, Nikolai Morozov wouldn't be agood choice.
Concerning Mishin, I'd have been for, if this would have been another season than the Olympic season, as a transition coach, to work on some basic skills and work on rigoroussness. However, I don't think Mishin could enable her to get an Olympic medal. Peter Grütter sounds like a good option.
What do you guys think about Priscilla Hill?

I wasn't sure about Mishin because he's openly said he doesn't like training ladies. Plus, he seems pretty concentrated on Plushchenko right now. Maybe Grutter (she wouldn't need to move far). Hill is a long shot. Maybe Raphael Arutunian? Or maybe Kurt Browning? Or does he just do choreo?

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
IHill is a long shot.

Hill has one of the top 5 American ladies - Ashley Wagner who I don't think would be very thrilled if Kostner showed up at her rink.

How about John Nicks? He has M/B now but no lady.

I am not really conversant with European coaches beyond TAT, Mishin, Moskvina, so I don't have any good suggestions there.

How about Galina's team? She has Johnny W but no lady.