Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 124

Thread: New coach for Kostner?

  1. #31
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by enzet View Post

    Personally, I don't like this. I don't remember any other coach making such a fuss about a tech.specialist's call. And there've been lots of questionable ones!
    Using Miki like this also didn't seem very ethical to me.

    I respect your opinions - but disagree that no other coaches (not to mention high ranking Federation officials) have ever made complaints about judging.
    At the 2002 Olympics there were plenty of complaints about the Pairs, Dance and Ladies competition. There are many other examples that could be cited.
    1980, 1994, 1998 all come to mind.

  2. #32
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    Who were the technical specialists at these events, again?

    But seriously, although I don't think much about complaining about edge calls and commenting on other athletes, this incident is not enough to call him an unethical person. He is fussy, no doubt about it but this is the heat of competition and happens often enough.

    Thanks for reminding me - of the good old days - before cop and anonymous scoring from the judges.

    I guess that despite Orser's "outburst" at COC he still managed to get enshrined in the Figure Skating Hall of Fame last Spring. Sombody in the skating world must respect his career achievements and believe in his integrity.

  3. #33
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    Tech Specialists in the good ol' days were the judges themselves... just because it's been taken out of their hands it still is valid to have a coach or other person debate the call.

    Orser was calling for fairness, plain and simple. Score it right, that's what is supposed to happen...

  4. #34
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    what did he do?
    I suspect you're entering a world of bot fanaticism Tinymavy. be prepared to be bombarded with youtube clips...

    Ant

  5. #35
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,646
    Quote Originally Posted by berrycute View Post
    Or maybe Kurt Browning? Or does he just do choreo?
    just choreography... he's said in the past that he doesn't think he'd be good coach material.

  6. #36
    representing Italy eleonora.d's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eu,Italy,Udine
    Posts
    293
    It really looks like Brian Orser is not going to be Kostner's new coach:
    http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/ind...showtopic=1800
    http://filoecontrofilo.blogspot.com/...er-is-not.html
    He said he cannot take any more elite skater in his team.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    I guess that despite Orser's "outburst" at COC he still managed to get enshrined in the Figure Skating Hall of Fame last Spring. Sombody in the skating world must respect his career achievements and believe in his integrity.
    Orser was inducted to the Hall of Fame this spring due to his achievements as a competitor. His coaching career was not part of the equation.

    Coaches' complaints about technical panel decisions are commonplace. Just sticking with a few examples from last season, the Italian Federation tried to file a grievance at Europeans when Kostner's final spin was disallowed. Morozov was unhappy when Ando's triple-triple was called under rotated at Skate America. Zoueva has had plenty to say at several events; actually, for my money, various ice dance coaches complain the most, certainly more than Orser.

  8. #38
    Custom Title Morning Glory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    in the Lavender Garden
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by eleonora.d View Post
    He said he cannot take any more elite skater in his team.
    Good decision for Orser's team.I was really shocked when Takahashi left Morosov last season. I feel happy for not occuring the same thing to Yuna.I know she will not leave Orser, but something will affect the relationship between Yuna and Orser in case he takes Kostner.

  9. #39
    Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    On the shores of the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    882
    Galina can coach Johnny, Viktor can coach Carolina?

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    239
    Carolina will train with Frank Carroll this summer, not sure what's her plan after that. Wonder how Evan and Mirai will respond to this.

    If Oser decided to take no more elite skaters and just focus on Yuna, I'm expecting the same from Frank.

    I'm also curious about the impact of Caro's coach change on Tomas, they seem to share the same kind of mental issue and inconsistency in competitions. Should we blame the skaters or the coach for that?

  11. #41
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,073
    Quote Originally Posted by ae9177 View Post
    Carolina will train with Frank Carroll this summer, not sure what's her plan after that. Wonder how Evan and Mirai will respond to this.

    If Oser decided to take no more elite skaters and just focus on Yuna, I'm expecting the same from Frank.

    I'm also curious about the impact of Caro's coach change on Tomas, they seem to share the same kind of mental issue and inconsistency in competitions. Should we blame the skaters or the coach for that?
    I think Mirai/Yu-na are different scenarios. Mirai is up and coming and should be looking more at Sochi.

    I don't know if we can blame Huth for Caro/Tomas's issues. But the fact that so many of his students have these issues makes you wonder....
    Last edited by bekalc; 06-10-2009 at 08:14 AM.

  12. #42
    Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,382
    It's "Huth". But you are right bek. He seems to have coached some skaters with the most impressive raw talent but somehow just couldn't teach them how to be good competitors. We can't forget about Silvio Smalun either, who I thought had all the talent in the world but just couldn't land enough jumps to place himself in the top 10 on the world stage.
    Last edited by shine; 06-09-2009 at 10:18 PM.

  13. #43
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Orser was inducted to the Hall of Fame this spring due to his achievements as a competitor. His coaching career was not part of the equation.

    Coaches' complaints about technical panel decisions are commonplace. Just sticking with a few examples from last season, the Italian Federation tried to file a grievance at Europeans when Kostner's final spin was disallowed. Morozov was unhappy when Ando's triple-triple was called under rotated at Skate America. Zoueva has had plenty to say at several events; actually, for my money, various ice dance coaches complain the most, certainly more than Orser.
    Well Said!
    Words like "integrity" should not be thrown around. I think he acts very professional. Most coaches raise eyebrows with downgrades and low PCS. I think the higher the level athlete the more attention gets focused on the matter including the coach.

  14. #44
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,982
    Quote Originally Posted by ae9177 View Post
    Carolina will train with Frank Carroll this summer, not sure what's her plan after that. Wonder how Evan and Mirai will respond to this.
    Wow. Where did you hear this? I can't wait to go to the rink eveyday this summer. The whole olympic team will be there!

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    We can't forget about Silvio Smalun either, who I thought had all the talent in the world but just couldn't land enough jumps to place himself in the top 10 on the world stage.
    Smalun for me was one of the most interesting skaters out there, I loved his creative programs and his basic skating was awesome (just like all of Huth's skaters). Great steps and edges, great speed. I watched him in practice a couple of times and his jumps were great and consistent - but he NEVER showed it in competition. I felt really sad for him when he quit skating. I wish he could have lived up to his potential.

    It's similar with Carolina - I've watched tons of practices of hers and I have pretty much never seen her fall. Her jumps are smooth, easy and light and so beautiful. Her movements are so big, she fills up the whole rink so easily. I wish she could show what I've seen in practice in competition once. She did it a couple of times (e.g. Worlds 2007 SP) but just not enough. I hope a new coach will help her to show her practice performance in competition. If she can do that, I see her on the podium at every single competition.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •