Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What will be the minimum points required to get the Finals?

On the Ice
    I think Kim, Rochette, Ando and Asada are certain.

And potential candidates are Nakano, Zhang, Kostner, Lepisto, Flatt and Cohen with 24 points(bronze and silver). Depending on other skaters maybe magic number will be 22 (silver and pewter).

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikoto View Post
    I think Kim, Rochette, Ando and Asada are certain.

And potential candidates are Nakano, Zhang, Kostner, Lepisto, Flatt and Cohen with 24 points(bronze and silver). Depending on other skaters maybe magic number will be 22 (silver and pewter).
    That's succinct and persuasive. I feel as though we had already reached the GPF!

Who's in the "other" group? Wagner, Meier, Leonova, Gedevanishvili, Suguri, or Nagasu (??). It seems unlikely that any of them will edge out anyone in your "potential" group, but you never know who will bust out.

OT, but this makes me wonder - what happened to Jenny Vahamaa? (I know she was injured.) She seemed like one who was all set to bust out. She's a non-factor for GPF but will we see her at the next Worlds? Is she skating on the JGPF this year?

(Welcome to GS, Mikito. Hope you like it here!)
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 06-09-2009 at 09:01 PM.

The Field is such that even with a definitive magic number, it is difficult to number the alternates. I really believe that 30, 28 and 26 have already taken up 4 places. If there are two at 24, that's it. If there are more at 24, then the alternates come into play. forget 22's.

I thnk it is time for the ISU to open the GP Final to 8 skaters or even 10. It would show the top 10 skaters in the World and bring in more LIVE fans to watch 4 disciplines of Senior and 4 disciplines of Junior. a real Pre Worlds/Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The Field is such that even with a definitive magic number, it is difficult to number the alternates. I really believe that 30, 28 and 26 have already taken up 4 places. If there are two at 24, that's it. If there are more at 24, then the alternates come into play. forget 22's.
    Last year the magic number was 24 for ladies, men's and and pairs, and 26 for dance (there are not many upsets in dance, so the top couples always win and that's that.)

The year before it was a little more fluid. Ladies and Dance were 24, but Kevin Van Der Perren made the finals with 22 and Kawaguchi & Smirnov also made the finals with 22.

I have a feeling there will be a few upsets this year that will throw some of our pre-season calculations off.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I have a feeling there will be a few upsets this year that will throw some of our pre-season calculations off.

I totally agree. I have a feeling this season will be full of surprises!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Last year the magic number was 24 for ladies, men's and and pairs, and 26 for dance (there are not many upsets in dance, so the top couples always win and that's that.)

The year before it was a little more fluid. Ladies and Dance were 24, but Kevin Van Der Perren made the finals with 22 and Kawaguchi & Smirnov also made the finals with 22.

Good post MM, but think of it this way: there are six events which will bring 15 points each for the lucky winners and for silver there are 13 points to spread about.

I really feel two skaters will get 30 points and one will get 15 + 13 or 28 This will freeze 5 of the 6 fifteens available. One has to figure Ando for one of those 15s. plus another 13 for her. four silvers available now. A silver and a bronze for a total of 24 of four skaters. Given the possible mishaps in every competition, ties may show at 24. It will be tight to qualify for Finals at less than 24 JMO.

Custom Title
    "What will be the minimum points required to get in the Finals?"

Probably a few more than my favorite skaters earn.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    "What will be the minimum points required to get in the Finals?"

Probably a few more than my favorite skaters earn.
    Although it is a slippery sport, the road to the Finals seems to be open for two skaters. I believe Mao, YuNa, Joannie and Miki have already made hotel reservations. That leaves 2 openings for the Final. Pick your choice?

Custom Title
    I'm not sure I'd be so confident of Miki - she is often inconsistent.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by liketotally View Post
    I'm not sure I'd be so confident of Miki - she is often inconsistent.
    True, but Miki's made the GPF every year since 2004 (well, except for the 2007 GPF). I think it's not too far of a stretch for Miki to pick up the points needed for a spot in the GPF, especially since she's probably risen in the eyes of the judges again as the reigning world bronze medalist.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Although it is a slippery sport, the road to the Finals seems to be open for two skaters. I believe Mao, YuNa, Joannie and Miki have already made hotel reservations. That leaves 2 openings for the Final. Pick your choice?
    Rachael and one of Caroline/Yukari/Ashley/Mirai.

I foresee Carolina as still undergoing a bit of upheaval at least during the GP period due to her coaching issues, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    Rachael and one of Caroline/Yukari/Ashley/Mirai.

I foresee Carolina as still undergoing a bit of upheaval at least during the GP period due to her coaching issues, etc.
    Indeed! If the 4 obvious skaters get to the Finals, and we are dthen really looking for two additional, those 5 you listed will certainly be in contention. But there is also Kostner, Meier to consider.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2