What will be the minimum points required to get the Finals? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What will be the minimum points required to get the Finals?

Last year the magic number was 24 for ladies, men's and and pairs, and 26 for dance (there are not many upsets in dance, so the top couples always win and that's that.)

The year before it was a little more fluid. Ladies and Dance were 24, but Kevin Van Der Perren made the finals with 22 and Kawaguchi & Smirnov also made the finals with 22.

I have a feeling there will be a few upsets this year that will throw some of our pre-season calculations off.
Good post MM, but think of it this way: there are six events which will bring 15 points each for the lucky winners and for silver there are 13 points to spread about.

I really feel two skaters will get 30 points and one will get 15 + 13 or 28 This will freeze 5 of the 6 fifteens available. One has to figure Ando for one of those 15s. plus another 13 for her. four silvers available now. A silver and a bronze for a total of 24 of four skaters. Given the possible mishaps in every competition, ties may show at 24. It will be tight to qualify for Finals at less than 24 JMO.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
"What will be the minimum points required to get in the Finals?"

Probably a few more than my favorite skaters earn. ;)

"What will be the minimum points required to get in the Finals?"

Probably a few more than my favorite skaters earn. ;)
Although it is a slippery sport, the road to the Finals seems to be open for two skaters. I believe Mao, YuNa, Joannie and Miki have already made hotel reservations. That leaves 2 openings for the Final. Pick your choice?

evangeline

Record Breaker
I'm not sure I'd be so confident of Miki - she is often inconsistent.

True, but Miki's made the GPF every year since 2004 (well, except for the 2007 GPF). I think it's not too far of a stretch for Miki to pick up the points needed for a spot in the GPF, especially since she's probably risen in the eyes of the judges again as the reigning world bronze medalist.

Andalusia

Final Flight
Although it is a slippery sport, the road to the Finals seems to be open for two skaters. I believe Mao, YuNa, Joannie and Miki have already made hotel reservations. That leaves 2 openings for the Final. Pick your choice?

Rachael and one of Caroline/Yukari/Ashley/Mirai.

I foresee Carolina as still undergoing a bit of upheaval at least during the GP period due to her coaching issues, etc.

Rachael and one of Caroline/Yukari/Ashley/Mirai.

I foresee Carolina as still undergoing a bit of upheaval at least during the GP period due to her coaching issues, etc.
Indeed! If the 4 obvious skaters get to the Finals, and we are dthen really looking for two additional, those 5 you listed will certainly be in contention. But there is also Kostner, Meier to consider.