Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Weir's new choreographer

Custom Title
    It’s really good for Johnny that he is going to work with David Wilson !

By reading the article, I really like what David Wilson said , he’s not only thinking about the points for COP in practical terms but also he cares how skaters move naturally then using the skater’s own natural moves, arranges it to make it even better and more difficult. Unlike the usual robotic look of most COP friendly programs.

I love Johnny’s Russian skating style, and it’s also great he’s trying other styles as well. I also love his style he did in Poker face. For “Feeling good“, jazzy style for skaters is not my taste honestly, and his “ feeling good “ is not my favorite number but I thought he was doing good job with the music.

So far it’s difficult to imagine Johnny skating with Spanish music , because it’s new for Johnny, but I’m very excited with this, and to see how he will do it in his own way.

Many skaters have been skating with Spanish music, and I’ve always believed that getting high PCS does not = skaters are good dancers. Kozuka was not dancing jazz dance in his “ Take Five” but he was skating great and made good impression to judges and audience. I also liked Evan’s “ Zorro” program, even though he was not doing any Spanish dancing in it either .

Many skaters also skated with tango music last season, but no one was dancing tango but they were getting high PCS. Lambiel’s Flamenco, I thought it was also not a pure Flamenco dance, but he was outstanding doing it with a mixture of his own original style.
    So I think Johnny can skate with Spanish music with his own style, too.

As for Kurt Browning, I don’t know whether they like each other or not, but what I remember from Kurt’s comments about Johnny was nice.

In 2007, US Nationals, during his FP, Kurt was commenting about Johnny something like that

Quote:

"If Johnny had skated first, this may have turned out different. "

Quote:

"Johnny IS one of the best skaters on the planet."

And also when Johnny lost the title, and before he skated in the exhibition, Kurt was saying something like this directly to him,

"Johnny, a title does not make a champion. You showed that you are a true champion in the press conference last night “

I don’t know what Kurt was thinking inside but I thought it was great inspiring words to me at that time. On the other hand, Kurt might have just wanted to cheer Johnny up, though .
    Last edited by dancingqueen; 06-06-2009 at 12:06 PM.

from everything I've read about Kurt - and my own (brief) meeting with him - what he says is genuine...

Custom Title

Johnny and David Wilson a great match

I believe Johnny made a great choice with David Wilson. 2008 Worlds saw Jeff Buttle win both the short and long programs and he won the gold medal. Wilson was Jeff's choreographer. Jeff was brilliant in both programs. So I think Johnny has a great chance for medaling. I've seen some of Buttle's chore. and he is really good. I guess Wilson's work rubbed off on Jeffrey.

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho View Post
    Ewwwwww, ewwwwww, ewwwwww! I would scratch my eyes out!
    That's right. Ew to Weir doing Kurt's choreography. I don't think Johnny has a bluesy bone in him to pull that off.

Rinkside
    i think good choice for johnny! wow! david has so many clients...

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Kurt might be OK - as long as he had Elvis helping to pick out the costumes

I think you have been hanging out with Senorita too much!!! I love both of your humor.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Me too, snowgirl. But it occurs to me that maybe instead Johnny's chum Stephane has been encouraging him to move in the flamenco direction. Interesting, whichever way the blades cut.
    I think you have to have the look for flamenco....which Stephane does...hot..pssst ...burn. I love Stephane's flamenco program...yeah baby!!! Oops, sorry I got carried away.

I love Johnny's skating so for the most part I love all his programs but I will agree that since Otonol Johnny hasn't had that next special program. I would love to see him with music that builds, builds, builds and Johnny just goes flying down that ice rink. Wow, I'm already getting goose bumps.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    johnny with flamenco?oh no...
    I ve missed the conversation, is it for lp or sp?
    Am i the only one who liked Notre Dame program?I didnt see much of it :(

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    johnny with flamenco?oh no...
    I ve missed the conversation, is it for lp or sp?
    Am i the only one who liked Notre Dame program?I didnt see much of it :(

Here is the link to Johnny's talk about new choreos. No mention of Flamenco, but his SP will have Spansih music.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

BTW, someday you must teach me to swear in Greek - it might come in handy at the least expected moment

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I'm the one who brought up flamenco, with no basis whatever other than that it's Spanish and Johnny has been seen in close proximity to Stephane Lambiel (flamenco king).

I agree with you, Dee, that Johnny doing flamenco is a stretch but I"m willing to be surprised. He's gotta do something surprising this year.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    thanx for article link, i miss johnny!:(
    I m not sure I would like him in a flamenco version, I just cant imagine him while with stephan it was different, he was just there ,
    I like Johnny to have more rock skates.
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    BTW, someday you must teach me to swear in Greek - it might come in handy at the least expected moment
    Ok as long as you dont use them in greece and end up with a black eye.

Tripping on the Podium
    Jeff Buttle dropped in while David Wilson was working with Jeremy Ten on his SP last week. And apparently Pang & Tong are currently there and will also have at least one Wilson program this season.

:frown2: to J. Weir for twittering that Canada is a wilderness. He should remember how many great choreographers lurk in this "wilderness".

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post

:frown2: to J. Weir for twittering that Canada is a wilderness. He should remember how many great choreographers lurk in this "wilderness".
    I'm sure Johnny doesn't really consider Canada a wilderness. I think it's just Johnny's way of mocking stereotypes (Canada as the "great white North" and the like). He was in Toronto, after all - not exactly the woods.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4