Weir's new choreographer | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weir's new choreographer

Me too, snowgirl. But it occurs to me that maybe instead Johnny's chum Stephane has been encouraging him to move in the flamenco direction. Interesting, whichever way the blades cut.

Incredible that this thread was turning into a bashing Browning thread. I realize that threads move off topic but this was like "everybody, let's get Kurt. It's our chance" in spite of the fact that he gave Joubert a bit of rhythm.

No one seemed to like the idea of Kurt, but no one could explain anything specific.

Johnny doing Flamenco?? That is a stretch. I think he would fake it more than making it believeable.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Incredible that this thread was turning into a bashing Browning thread. I realize that threads move off topic but this was like "everybody, let's get Kurt. It's our chance" in spite of the fact that he gave Joubert a bit of rhythm
Nobody bashed Browning. Nobody said that he isn't a good choreographer (I loved Abbott's Santana short, that was done by Browning, wasn't it?). Several people were just saying that Johnny + Browning might not work too well together. I am not saying that it wouldn't be interesting (after all Johnny proved with "Feeling Good" that he can do rhythm and jazzy stuff).

merrybari

Final Flight
Nobody bashed Browning. Nobody said that he isn't a good choreographer (I loved Abbott's Santana short, that was done by Browning, wasn't it?). Several people were just saying that Johnny + Browning might not work too well together. I am not saying that it wouldn't be interesting (after all Johnny proved with "Feeling Good" that he can do rhythm and jazzy stuff).

Quite right! No one bashing Kurt here. He's a great skater and a very fine choreographer! I'm just questioning the match-up. I don't think they are a very good fit style-wise. I'm not sure Johnny is ready to move quite that far away from his comfort zone.

I like Johnny and I hope you are correct, but Flamenco is not Jazz. It takes years to become a Flamenco dancer.

merrybari

Final Flight
I would be happy to see Evan blown off that turf by Johnny

I don't expect that to happen. Their styles are way too different from one another. Just because the music is Spanish doesn't necessarily mean the approach/interpretation would be the same. There are many variations of the flamenco/Spanish flavor. Variation is the spice of life - and of skating. Let's see Johnny bring his OWN style to that turf. There's room for both there.

KayMil01

On the Ice
LOL has there been a program that Kurt has choreographed that was actually good?!

I thought Jeremy Abbott's 2007-08 SP to "Treat" was good.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I like Johnny and I hope you are correct, but Flamenco is not Jazz. It takes years to become a Flamenco dancer.

Trust me on this Joe, it also takes years (even a lifetime) to become a master of jazz. That doesn't mean a skater can't skate to a jazzy score. Wasn't there a very high score recently to Brubeck's "Take Five." Music from "West Side Story" and "Rhapsody in Blue" seem to have worked out well for skaters too.
I doubt if any of the skaters were accomplished jazz musicians.
Likewise Johnny may not be an accomplished Flamenco dancer but he would be skating to the music - and not literally doing a Flamenco dance.
Spanish music - with it's colorful melodies and distinctive rhythms has been a favorite of skaters for a long time.
Personally, I think it would be good for Johnny to try something different. I think a Flamenco piece might also play to his strength. And I am tired of some of the , new age (cheesey) synthetic music he has used in the past.
Even if I am not a big Johnny fan, I do think he is a talented skater. I hope he has a good season and think Wilson and some new music might be a very good thing for him.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Trust me on this Joe, it also takes years (even a lifetime) to become a master of jazz. That doesn't mean a skater can't skate to a jazzy score. Wasn't there a very high score recently to Brubeck's "Take Five."
Kozuka! Though this is Skate America, he netted 83,9 points for it at GPF. I love Taka! He and Rippon are my favourites of all the puppies.
And I am tired of some of the , new age (cheesey) synthetic music he has used in the past.
Amen to that.

feraina

Record Breaker
Oh, goodie, a jazzy SP for Johnny according to that article. Sounds great! I'm excited, I can't wait to see his new programs.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Did he say his music selection for the next season?

Not exactly - but check out the link to his icenetwork interview a few posts back. He does discuss it and his choreo. It is interesting and Johnny sounds more serious, reflective and dare I say - mature!

chloe

Rinkside
Thank You, I will check. I want him to have a very good season, I think it will be his last one in amaters, sadly.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The short is to a high-energy Spanish piece, not a re-mix, and the long is kind of a continuation of the fallen angels' theme. Don't know about synthesizers.

I am excited about the Spanish short, he has been needing something like this. I have hopes for the long, but fear it will turn into a torn-up costume and piano music.

jennylovskt

Medalist
LOL has there been a program that Kurt has choreographed that was actually good?!

I thought Jeremy Abbott's 2007-08 SP to "Treat" was good.

I thought Kurt's programs were all very Browning, except the SP he made for Joubert was very good.

taylorfax

On the Ice
Incredible that this thread was turning into a bashing Browning thread.

No one seemed to like the idea of Kurt, but no one could explain anything specific.

Johnny doing Flamenco?? That is a stretch. I think he would fake it more than making it believeable.
I for one wasn't bashing Kurt Browning. Just questioning the wisdom of putting those two people in the same room together for a longer period of time. Don't think they'd get along. :laugh: But hey, maybe I'm wrong and something interesting would happen. lol!

Who said anything about Flamenco. That the music is Spanish doesn't translate that he'll be doing Flamenco.

wishmaker

Rinkside
Good for Johnny, I do hope Wilson will bring out the best in him. He may use Jazz music but that doesn't necessarily mean that he has to be a Jazz Dancer or maybe he might use a Spanish music but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to a Spanish Dancer. For all we know, the choreo and interpretation to those types of music may be so good that any Jazz or Spanish Dancer wouldn't even dare try on the ice. So, I'm looking forward to this change of choreographer and I think it will be good for Johnny as he is more matured now and he can skate to his own identity. GOOOO JOHNNY!!!!!!!

*Sunrise*

Spectator
Good news for him~!! David is an amazing choreographer.
But I was little surprised. Cause I remember that he didn't like the programs of David or Kurt. (I saw that in his official website)