Weir's new choreographer | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Weir's new choreographer

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Sounds like Johnny is showing up to COMPETE this year. Watch out. He really is a very consistent skater. With a killer short he could give himself an edge in a tight comp. He generally is a very good short skater.Seems like Wilson has been good at the short with other skaters. I saw Johnny do his exhibition "Feeling Good"? program and he was SMOKING hot, but not in a vulgar way.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
*Sunrise*;398974 said:
Good news for him~!! David is an amazing choreographer.
But I was little surprised. Cause I remember that he didn't like the programs of David or Kurt. (I saw that in his official website)

I think he was comparing their programs to what he had been doing that season... and considering their stuff works when his wasn't really going anywhere with the judges, one's opinion can change ;)

I actually think Johnny would be easier for Kurt to work with - but for an exhibition. Both have complained in the past about how the CoP is all about counting points and not feeling every beat of the music. Kurt's working within the CoP isn't all that great... Kurt working on exhibitions over the years has been really good. I think Johnny more than Evan or Brian would get Kurt's using every beat of the music (and not just following the melody).

just my take on it. I think it a little absurd to think that Kurt is biased against Johnny because of his comments - just going by what he's said on ABC, it's more like he's frustrated with Johnny not "living up to potential"... Kurt was/is a competitive skater... very rarely did he just throw in the towel (1992 Olympics being the only real time I can think of)... I think if Johnny were more of a take no prisoners kind of skater Kurt wouldn't sound so uninterested :laugh:

that's just my take on it, though, as a huge Browning fan I'm biased....

and could I have used any more cliche's in this post?:laugh:

Trust me on this Joe, it also takes years (even a lifetime) to become a master of jazz. That doesn't mean a skater can't skate to a jazzy score. Wasn't there a very high score recently to Brubeck's "Take Five." Music from "West Side Story" and "Rhapsody in Blue" seem to have worked out well for skaters too.
indeed it takes years to become a Dancer of any sorts. But trust me,JFFan, it is also to fake it from one medium to another. How many lady skaters do you see as genuine ballerinas with that clutzy shoe skate on? Even with the toe rake they can not go to full point.

I can fake jazz, but I will not be considered a jazz dancer after two lessons. I reiterate: If Johnny is going to skate to a Spanish tune, he will have to fake the spanish dance. It's ok, if he keeps to the rhythm and tempo. However, his multitude of fans will love him anyway. Spanish dancers, if they see it, may giggle.

btw, WSS and RB are not spanish numbers but WSS was in the mind of the composer as was RB.

janetfan

Match Penalty
indeed it takes years to become a Dancer of any sorts. But trust me,JFFan, it is also to fake it from one medium to another. How many lady skaters do you see as genuine ballerinas with that clutzy shoe skate on? Even with the toe rake they can not go to full point.

I can fake jazz, but I will not be considered a jazz dancer after two lessons. I reiterate: If Johnny is going to skate to a Spanish tune, he will have to fake the spanish dance. It's ok, if he keeps to the rhythm and tempo. However, his multitude of fans will love him anyway. Spanish dancers, if they see it, may giggle.

btw, WSS and RB are not spanish numbers but WSS was in the mind of the composer as was RB.

I am not so sure about your point. But nobody said or thinks Johnny will be a "Spanish Dancer" after two lessons. Or that he will be Spanish. Most already know he is a pretty good dancer though. It is possible that Johnny will spend 4-6 hours a day, 5 days a week from now until October working on his new programs. It is possible with that much hard work a pretty interesting program to Spanish music will feel authentic and be well received by fans and judges. I am looking forward to it and think this new direction in choreo may give Johnny a stronger shot at winning natls next season.

Last edited:

wishmaker

Rinkside
I believe there should be a variety of music to be used in whatever show/performance/competition. The choreographer and the skater will give their own interpretation of the music chosen. In Johnny's case, they have already chosen a Spanish music and David must have a good idea for Johnny . I don't believe people will giggle or laugh at their own version that's supposed to be used on ice and adjusted to the requirements of figure skating.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
It’s really good for Johnny that he is going to work with David Wilson ! :clap:

By reading the article, I really like what David Wilson said , he’s not only thinking about the points for COP in practical terms but also he cares how skaters move naturally then using the skater’s own natural moves, arranges it to make it even better and more difficult. Unlike the usual robotic look of most COP friendly programs.

I love Johnny’s Russian skating style, and it’s also great he’s trying other styles as well. I also love his style he did in Poker face. For “Feeling good“, jazzy style for skaters is not my taste honestly, and his “ feeling good “ is not my favorite number but I thought he was doing good job with the music.

So far it’s difficult to imagine Johnny skating with Spanish music , because it’s new for Johnny, but I’m very excited with this, and to see how he will do it in his own way.

Many skaters have been skating with Spanish music, and I’ve always believed that getting high PCS does not = skaters are good dancers. Kozuka was not dancing jazz dance in his “ Take Five” but he was skating great and made good impression to judges and audience. I also liked Evan’s “ Zorro” program, even though he was not doing any Spanish dancing in it either .

Many skaters also skated with tango music last season, but no one was dancing tango but they were getting high PCS. Lambiel’s Flamenco, I thought it was also not a pure Flamenco dance, but he was outstanding doing it with a mixture of his own original style.
So I think Johnny can skate with Spanish music with his own style, too.

As for Kurt Browning, I don’t know whether they like each other or not, but what I remember from Kurt’s comments about Johnny was nice.

In 2007, US Nationals, during his FP, Kurt was commenting about Johnny something like that

Quote:

"If Johnny had skated first, this may have turned out different. "

Quote:

"Johnny IS one of the best skaters on the planet."

And also when Johnny lost the title, and before he skated in the exhibition, Kurt was saying something like this directly to him,

"Johnny, a title does not make a champion. You showed that you are a true champion in the press conference last night “

I don’t know what Kurt was thinking inside but I thought it was great inspiring words to me at that time. On the other hand, Kurt might have just wanted to cheer Johnny up, though .

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
from everything I've read about Kurt - and my own (brief) meeting with him - what he says is genuine...

stevlin

On the Ice
Johnny and David Wilson a great match

I believe Johnny made a great choice with David Wilson. 2008 Worlds saw Jeff Buttle win both the short and long programs and he won the gold medal. Wilson was Jeff's choreographer. Jeff was brilliant in both programs. So I think Johnny has a great chance for medaling. I've seen some of Buttle's chore. and he is really good. I guess Wilson's work rubbed off on Jeffrey.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kurt might be OK - as long as he had Elvis helping to pick out the costumes :laugh:
:clap: :clap::laugh: :laugh:

I think you have been hanging out with Senorita too much!!! I love both of your humor.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me too, snowgirl. But it occurs to me that maybe instead Johnny's chum Stephane has been encouraging him to move in the flamenco direction. Interesting, whichever way the blades cut.
I think you have to have the look for flamenco....which Stephane does...hot..pssst ...burn. I love Stephane's flamenco program...yeah baby!!! Oops, sorry I got carried away.

I love Johnny's skating so for the most part I love all his programs but I will agree that since Otonol Johnny hasn't had that next special program. I would love to see him with music that builds, builds, builds and Johnny just goes flying down that ice rink. Wow, I'm already getting goose bumps. :laugh: :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
johnny with flamenco?oh no...
I ve missed the conversation, is it for lp or sp?
Am i the only one who liked Notre Dame program?I didnt see much of it :(

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm the one who brought up flamenco, with no basis whatever other than that it's Spanish and Johnny has been seen in close proximity to Stephane Lambiel (flamenco king). :biggrin:

I agree with you, Dee, that Johnny doing flamenco is a stretch but I"m willing to be surprised. He's gotta do something surprising this year.

seniorita

Record Breaker
thanx for article link, i miss johnny!:(
I m not sure I would like him in a flamenco version, I just cant imagine him while with stephan it was different, he was just there :),
I like Johnny to have more rock skates.
BTW, someday you must teach me to swear in Greek - it might come in handy at the least expected moment :biggrin:
Ok as long as you dont use them in greece and end up with a black eye.:biggrin:

Mevrouw

Rinkside
Jeff Buttle dropped in while David Wilson was working with Jeremy Ten on his SP last week. And apparently Pang & Tong are currently there and will also have at least one Wilson program this season.

:frown2: to J. Weir for twittering that Canada is a wilderness. He should remember how many great choreographers lurk in this "wilderness". :clap:

pippa

Rinkside
:frown2: to J. Weir for twittering that Canada is a wilderness. He should remember how many great choreographers lurk in this "wilderness". :clap:

I'm sure Johnny doesn't really consider Canada a wilderness. :laugh: I think it's just Johnny's way of mocking stereotypes (Canada as the "great white North" and the like). He was in Toronto, after all - not exactly the woods.