Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58

Thread: Weir's new choreographer

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Kurt might be OK - as long as he had Elvis helping to pick out the costumes
    And their bodies were never found.. lol

  2. #17
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,990
    I am surprised at this, but I think it is a good move. Judges like Wilson's work and Johnny certainly could use a fresh perspective. I hope he picks some inspiring music this season...good choreography with bad music is pointless.

  3. #18
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I am surprised at this, but I think it is a good move. Judges like Wilson's work and Johnny certainly could use a fresh perspective. I hope he picks some inspiring music this season...good choreography with bad music is pointless.
    I am sure (or at least I hope) that Wilson will insist on music, that doesn't sound as if I could have composed it with some mediocre synthesiser.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I am sure (or at least I hope) that Wilson will insist on music, that doesn't sound as if I could have composed it with some mediocre synthesiser.
    The short is to a high-energy Spanish piece, not a re-mix, and the long is kind of a continuation of the fallen angels' theme. Don't know about synthesizers.

  5. #20
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    It could be a good mix. The angel shtick is Johnny's bread and butter. Not sure I can see him intruding on Evan's toreador turf, but who knows.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    257
    I would be happy to see Evan blown off that turf by Johnny
    Not an expected choice.

  7. #22
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Icenetwork interview

    Is the link already here?

  8. #23
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Me too, snowgirl. But it occurs to me that maybe instead Johnny's chum Stephane has been encouraging him to move in the flamenco direction. Interesting, whichever way the blades cut.

  9. #24
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Incredible that this thread was turning into a bashing Browning thread. I realize that threads move off topic but this was like "everybody, let's get Kurt. It's our chance" in spite of the fact that he gave Joubert a bit of rhythm.

    No one seemed to like the idea of Kurt, but no one could explain anything specific.

    Johnny doing Flamenco?? That is a stretch. I think he would fake it more than making it believeable.

  10. #25
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Incredible that this thread was turning into a bashing Browning thread. I realize that threads move off topic but this was like "everybody, let's get Kurt. It's our chance" in spite of the fact that he gave Joubert a bit of rhythm
    Nobody bashed Browning. Nobody said that he isn't a good choreographer (I loved Abbott's Santana short, that was done by Browning, wasn't it?). Several people were just saying that Johnny + Browning might not work too well together. I am not saying that it wouldn't be interesting (after all Johnny proved with "Feeling Good" that he can do rhythm and jazzy stuff).

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Nobody bashed Browning. Nobody said that he isn't a good choreographer (I loved Abbott's Santana short, that was done by Browning, wasn't it?). Several people were just saying that Johnny + Browning might not work too well together. I am not saying that it wouldn't be interesting (after all Johnny proved with "Feeling Good" that he can do rhythm and jazzy stuff).
    Quite right! No one bashing Kurt here. He's a great skater and a very fine choreographer! I'm just questioning the match-up. I don't think they are a very good fit style-wise. I'm not sure Johnny is ready to move quite that far away from his comfort zone.

  12. #27
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Nobody bashed Browning. Nobody said that he isn't a good choreographer (I loved Abbott's Santana short, that was done by Browning, wasn't it?). Several people were just saying that Johnny + Browning might not work too well together. I am not saying that it wouldn't be interesting (after all Johnny proved with "Feeling Good" that he can do rhythm and jazzy stuff).
    I like Johnny and I hope you are correct, but Flamenco is not Jazz. It takes years to become a Flamenco dancer.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowgirl View Post
    I would be happy to see Evan blown off that turf by Johnny
    I don't expect that to happen. Their styles are way too different from one another. Just because the music is Spanish doesn't necessarily mean the approach/interpretation would be the same. There are many variations of the flamenco/Spanish flavor. Variation is the spice of life - and of skating. Let's see Johnny bring his OWN style to that turf. There's room for both there.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    156
    LOL has there been a program that Kurt has choreographed that was actually good?!

    I thought Jeremy Abbott's 2007-08 SP to "Treat" was good.

  15. #30
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I like Johnny and I hope you are correct, but Flamenco is not Jazz. It takes years to become a Flamenco dancer.

    Trust me on this Joe, it also takes years (even a lifetime) to become a master of jazz. That doesn't mean a skater can't skate to a jazzy score. Wasn't there a very high score recently to Brubeck's "Take Five." Music from "West Side Story" and "Rhapsody in Blue" seem to have worked out well for skaters too.
    I doubt if any of the skaters were accomplished jazz musicians.
    Likewise Johnny may not be an accomplished Flamenco dancer but he would be skating to the music - and not literally doing a Flamenco dance.
    Spanish music - with it's colorful melodies and distinctive rhythms has been a favorite of skaters for a long time.
    Personally, I think it would be good for Johnny to try something different. I think a Flamenco piece might also play to his strength. And I am tired of some of the , new age (cheesey) synthetic music he has used in the past.
    Even if I am not a big Johnny fan, I do think he is a talented skater. I hope he has a good season and think Wilson and some new music might be a very good thing for him.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •