Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Weir's new choreographer

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Trust me on this Joe, it also takes years (even a lifetime) to become a master of jazz. That doesn't mean a skater can't skate to a jazzy score. Wasn't there a very high score recently to Brubeck's "Take Five."
    Kozuka! Though this is Skate America, he netted 83,9 points for it at GPF. I love Taka! He and Rippon are my favourites of all the puppies.
    And I am tired of some of the , new age (cheesey) synthetic music he has used in the past.
    Amen to that.

Oh, goodie, a jazzy SP for Johnny according to that article. Sounds great! I'm excited, I can't wait to see his new programs.

On the Ice
    Did he say his music selection for the next season?

Quote Originally Posted by chloe View Post
    Did he say his music selection for the next season?
    Not exactly - but check out the link to his icenetwork interview a few posts back. He does discuss it and his choreo. It is interesting and Johnny sounds more serious, reflective and dare I say - mature!

On the Ice
    Thank You, I will check. I want him to have a very good season, I think it will be his last one in amaters, sadly.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    The short is to a high-energy Spanish piece, not a re-mix, and the long is kind of a continuation of the fallen angels' theme. Don't know about synthesizers.
    I am excited about the Spanish short, he has been needing something like this. I have hopes for the long, but fear it will turn into a torn-up costume and piano music.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KayMil01 View Post
    LOL has there been a program that Kurt has choreographed that was actually good?!

I thought Jeremy Abbott's 2007-08 SP to "Treat" was good.
    I thought Kurt's programs were all very Browning, except the SP he made for Joubert was very good.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Incredible that this thread was turning into a bashing Browning thread.

No one seemed to like the idea of Kurt, but no one could explain anything specific.

Johnny doing Flamenco?? That is a stretch. I think he would fake it more than making it believeable.
    I for one wasn't bashing Kurt Browning. Just questioning the wisdom of putting those two people in the same room together for a longer period of time. Don't think they'd get along. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and something interesting would happen. lol!

Who said anything about Flamenco. That the music is Spanish doesn't translate that he'll be doing Flamenco.

Tripping on the Podium
    Good for Johnny, I do hope Wilson will bring out the best in him. He may use Jazz music but that doesn't necessarily mean that he has to be a Jazz Dancer or maybe he might use a Spanish music but that doesn't necessarily mean he has to a Spanish Dancer. For all we know, the choreo and interpretation to those types of music may be so good that any Jazz or Spanish Dancer wouldn't even dare try on the ice. So, I'm looking forward to this change of choreographer and I think it will be good for Johnny as he is more matured now and he can skate to his own identity. GOOOO JOHNNY!!!!!!!

Rinkside
    Good news for him~!! David is an amazing choreographer.
    But I was little surprised. Cause I remember that he didn't like the programs of David or Kurt. (I saw that in his official website)

Custom Title
    Sounds like Johnny is showing up to COMPETE this year. Watch out. He really is a very consistent skater. With a killer short he could give himself an edge in a tight comp. He generally is a very good short skater.Seems like Wilson has been good at the short with other skaters. I saw Johnny do his exhibition "Feeling Good"? program and he was SMOKING hot, but not in a vulgar way.

Quote Originally Posted by *Sunrise* View Post
    Good news for him~!! David is an amazing choreographer.
    But I was little surprised. Cause I remember that he didn't like the programs of David or Kurt. (I saw that in his official website)
    I think he was comparing their programs to what he had been doing that season... and considering their stuff works when his wasn't really going anywhere with the judges, one's opinion can change

I actually think Johnny would be easier for Kurt to work with - but for an exhibition. Both have complained in the past about how the CoP is all about counting points and not feeling every beat of the music. Kurt's working within the CoP isn't all that great... Kurt working on exhibitions over the years has been really good. I think Johnny more than Evan or Brian would get Kurt's using every beat of the music (and not just following the melody).

just my take on it. I think it a little absurd to think that Kurt is biased against Johnny because of his comments - just going by what he's said on ABC, it's more like he's frustrated with Johnny not "living up to potential"... Kurt was/is a competitive skater... very rarely did he just throw in the towel (1992 Olympics being the only real time I can think of)... I think if Johnny were more of a take no prisoners kind of skater Kurt wouldn't sound so uninterested

that's just my take on it, though, as a huge Browning fan I'm biased....

and could I have used any more cliche's in this post?

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Trust me on this Joe, it also takes years (even a lifetime) to become a master of jazz. That doesn't mean a skater can't skate to a jazzy score. Wasn't there a very high score recently to Brubeck's "Take Five." Music from "West Side Story" and "Rhapsody in Blue" seem to have worked out well for skaters too.
    indeed it takes years to become a Dancer of any sorts. But trust me,JFFan, it is also to fake it from one medium to another. How many lady skaters do you see as genuine ballerinas with that clutzy shoe skate on? Even with the toe rake they can not go to full point.

I can fake jazz, but I will not be considered a jazz dancer after two lessons. I reiterate: If Johnny is going to skate to a Spanish tune, he will have to fake the spanish dance. It's ok, if he keeps to the rhythm and tempo. However, his multitude of fans will love him anyway. Spanish dancers, if they see it, may giggle.

btw, WSS and RB are not spanish numbers but WSS was in the mind of the composer as was RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    indeed it takes years to become a Dancer of any sorts. But trust me,JFFan, it is also to fake it from one medium to another. How many lady skaters do you see as genuine ballerinas with that clutzy shoe skate on? Even with the toe rake they can not go to full point.

I can fake jazz, but I will not be considered a jazz dancer after two lessons. I reiterate: If Johnny is going to skate to a Spanish tune, he will have to fake the spanish dance. It's ok, if he keeps to the rhythm and tempo. However, his multitude of fans will love him anyway. Spanish dancers, if they see it, may giggle.

btw, WSS and RB are not spanish numbers but WSS was in the mind of the composer as was RB.
    I am not so sure about your point. But nobody said or thinks Johnny will be a "Spanish Dancer" after two lessons. Or that he will be Spanish. Most already know he is a pretty good dancer though. It is possible that Johnny will spend 4-6 hours a day, 5 days a week from now until October working on his new programs. It is possible with that much hard work a pretty interesting program to Spanish music will feel authentic and be well received by fans and judges. I am looking forward to it and think this new direction in choreo may give Johnny a stronger shot at winning natls next season.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-06-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I believe there should be a variety of music to be used in whatever show/performance/competition. The choreographer and the skater will give their own interpretation of the music chosen. In Johnny's case, they have already chosen a Spanish music and David must have a good idea for Johnny . I don't believe people will giggle or laugh at their own version that's supposed to be used on ice and adjusted to the requirements of figure skating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast