Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 56

Thread: Michelle graduates June 6, has been accepted into graduate school

  1. #1
    All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Massena, NY
    Posts
    3,756

    News Michelle graduates June 6, has been accepted into graduate school

    http://www.universalsports.com/ViewA...ATCLID=3746560
    Two-time Olympic medal-winning figure skater Michelle Kwan is getting a new title: college graduate.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    155
    Congruatulations!

  3. #3
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,914

    News Michelle formally graduates tomorrow, has been accepted into graduate school

    This news story from the University of Denver newspaper was posted today on the MK Forum.

    http://www.du.edu/today/stories/2009...06-04kwan.html

    Link to forum thread: http://www.mkforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22410

    “It was a turning point in my life when I came to DU,” says Kwan....

    Shortly after coming to DU Kwan was asked to participate in what she describes as the ultimate internship for an international studies student. Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (BA ’74, PhD ’81) appointed Kwan the first American Public Diplomacy Envoy to help promote an understanding of America by sharing her story in a cross-cultural dialogue with international youth....

    There are no plans for Kwan to stop traveling on behalf of the U.S. Recently, she met with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to discuss continuing her role with the State Department. However, Kwan will still have tests waiting for her when she returns from each trip. She has been accepted to the graduate international affairs program at Tufts University’s Fletcher School.
    Hmm. Michelle forgot to mention training for that TBA spot at Skate America.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bloomfield, CT
    Posts
    149

    Tufts

    Gearing myself up for potential Michelle sightings!! This section of the country would really be different for her!

  5. #5
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Well, congrats to her! She'll make a great diplomat and/or politician. Looks like a stellar second career lies ahead of her.

    Will the real TBA please stand up already?

  6. #6
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,988
    What a great accomplishment! She looks stunning in that picture BTW. Maybe she was waiting for her acceptance letter to grad school before making any comeback decisions. If she was rejected, maybe she thought she would give skating a try. I cannot see her saying no whatever university accepted her to try a comeback. She seems very dedicated to her career now.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    139
    It's easy to delay acceptance to a graduate school once you've been accepted. People do it all the time. She could easily delay enterance for a year it she want to give skating one more year.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
    It's easy to delay acceptance to a graduate school once you've been accepted. People do it all the time. She could easily delay enterance for a year it she want to give skating one more year.
    Yes but it seems to me she's serious about a career in international relations. I strongly suspect she will look to working for the State Department, UN or another NGO after she finishes grad-school. We could see her as Ambassador Kwan, and maybe pretty soon!

  9. #9
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,030
    Congratulations to Michelle, well done girl. Wow she has been accepted by Tufts that is wonderful news. If she does decide to attend Tufts I just want to be the first to welcome her to our great state of Massachusetts, I am sure our local rag will be reporting "Michelle sightings". Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by demarinis5; 06-05-2009 at 07:27 AM.

  10. #10
    The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by berrycute View Post
    Yes but it seems to me she's serious about a career in international relations. I strongly suspect she will look to working for the State Department, UN or another NGO after she finishes grad-school. We could see her as Ambassador Kwan, and maybe pretty soon!
    She can be very serious about a diplomatic career and easily delay entrance to Tufts for a year to compete. NO ONE knows what she is thinking, speculation is the order of the day...

    I speculate, no... calculate that Michelle does want to end her competitive skating career in a more satisfying manner than what she experienced in Torino! I expect to see her return to try and get U.S. Ladies Title number Ten!

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    She can be very serious about a diplomatic career and easily delay entrance to Tufts for a year to compete. NO ONE knows what she is thinking, speculation is the order of the day...
    !
    Geez, ok, I shall not deny the possibility she will return to the ice. Happy? Good.

  12. #12
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,914
    Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    I expect to see her return to try and get U.S. Ladies Title number Ten!
    I don't know why, but for some reason the prospect of Michelle at U.S. Nationals totally rocks my socks. I don't really care so much about the Olympics.

    I checked out the schedule. If Michelle enters the Fletcher School in the spring semester, going for the Masters in International Law and Dipolomacy cirriculum, classes start on January 21 (a Thursday).

    This is the same day as the ladies short program in Spokane. The ladies long is on Saturday, January 23. Michelle could skip the Gala and be at Tufts bright-eyed and bushy-tailed on Monday, January 25.

    That way she can grab her tenth U.S. championship and only miss one day of classes. They don't do anything on the first day anyway except hand ou t the syllabus. Which, that's available on line anyway.

  13. #13
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    [QUOTE=Mathman;398814]I don't know why, but for some reason the prospect of Michelle at U.S. Nationals totally rocks my socks. I don't really care so much about the Olympics.
    QUOTE]

    I like that idea - a comeback but just as far as Natls - and not to Vancouver.
    But you know the old "win - win" situation?
    I don't see this falling into that category. It feels more a like a "win - lose big time" situation to me.
    If Michelle skates at Natls, and doesn't do well she might feel bad. I am sure many of her fans would definitely feel bad.
    I miss her but want to see her succeed at her future endeavors (Ambassador Kwan ).
    I think the time has come for our group of "little ones" to shine.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    139
    [QUOTE=janetfan;398819]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I don't know why, but for some reason the prospect of Michelle at U.S. Nationals totally rocks my socks. I don't really care so much about the Olympics.
    QUOTE]

    I like that idea - a comeback but just as far as Natls - and not to Vancouver.
    But you know the old "win - win" situation?
    I don't see this falling into that category. It feels more a like a "win - lose big time" situation to me.
    If Michelle skates at Natls, and doesn't do well she might feel bad. I am sure many of her fans would definitely feel bad.
    I miss her but want to see her succeed at her future endeavors (Ambassador Kwan ).
    I think the time has come for our group of "little ones" to shine.
    This girl doesn't "lose" if her dreams aren't realized she picks herself up and decides her next path. Just think about it: what she's done in the last few years. First she trains like all get out despit a serious injury to go to the 2006 Olympics in the attempt to get that longed for Oly Gold she barely missed twice, gets there and then has to suffer the huge disappointment that her injury is too severe for her to compete. She comes back to the US and for the next 6-7 months tours with COI dispite the fact she cannot jump and is in constant pain -she shows up time after time, turning out wonderful performances. COI ends and she picks herself up, and gets major hip surgery. All the time she applys for and gets accepted at DU, and begins classes there while on crutches recovering from surgery. She tackles college and formal school for the first time since 7th grade minus a few classes at UCLA. She gets appointed The first US Sports Diplomacy Envoy and travels all over the world representing our country. She manages to graduate in three years, and then gets accepted to one of the most prestigous graduate schools in the country. And, she is still skating, training, getting her triples back, in killer physical shape and considering a comeback. She is amazing, and what tenacity. I am in awe. If she skates again competitvely again and "loses" she will use the energry to accomplish something else yet again. There's no loss in that.

  15. #15
    The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    437
    [QUOTE=Kathy;398849]
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post

    This girl doesn't "lose" if her dreams aren't realized she picks herself up and decides her next path. Just think about it: what she's done in the last few years. First she trains like all get out despit a serious injury to go to the 2006 Olympics in the attempt to get that longed for Oly Gold she barely missed twice, gets there and then has to suffer the huge disappointment that her injury is too severe for her to compete. She comes back to the US and for the next 6-7 months tours with COI dispite the fact she cannot jump and is in constant pain -she shows up time after time, turning out wonderful performances. COI ends and she picks herself up, and gets major hip surgery. All the time she applys for and gets accepted at DU, and begins classes there while on crutches recovering from surgery. She tackles college and formal school for the first time since 7th grade minus a few classes at UCLA. She gets appointed The first US Sports Diplomacy Envoy and travels all over the world representing our country. She manages to graduate in three years, and then gets accepted to one of the most prestigous graduate schools in the country. And, she is still skating, training, getting her triples back, in killer physical shape and considering a comeback. She is amazing, and what tenacity. I am in awe. If she skates again competitvely again and "loses" she will use the energry to accomplish something else yet again. There's no loss in that.
    Brilliantly stated! Michelle Kwan is a fighter... never gives up, never accepts defeat... or looks upon anything in life as a loss! Those who doubt she would do well if she returns to competition, just don't know WTH they are spouting off about. They continually underestimate this glorious woman!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •