ISI Artistic State Games. | Golden Skate

ISI Artistic State Games.

morgan

Spectator
My daughter signed up for the artistic event at State games. As there is no ISI locally and we understand this to be a more ISI type event, I was wondering if someone could enlighten us about the type of music used in this event. She has chosen a light fluffy piece but an email from SGOA states that the event is also called dramatic. Does this mean the music should be more serious? I posted on another board but am loathe to bother a busy person at SGOA to get this answered. She didn't sign up for showcase because we didn't want to have to bring props and this event deducts for them. Thank you. :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
in USFSA events "dramatic" means that the music is not chosen by the skaters, but by the event officials just before the event. Skaters do not prepare a program, but rater have the chance to listen to the music once, prepare a program in thier head and then skate it.

sk8temom

Spectator
Hi!
I am not a coach or a judge but I do have an ISI handbook. So, for what it is worth, this is what I can tell you. There are 2 categories of events in ISI that seem to be getting mixed together so I would definitely get some clarity. These are 1) Artistic and 2) Spotlight (which can be "character", "dramatic" or "light entertainment").

If it is Artistic, the following is in the manual: There are NO required moves in Artistic Skating. Emphasis should be placed on the creative and innovative design of a skating program. Strong edges, body positions, flow, music interpretation, rhythm, choreography and artistry should be the main focus. There will be no grade for technical merit, but any skating maneuver can be done at any level. No props allowed. Judging criteria are: artistic impression, choreography and pattern, innovative moves, music interpretation and rhythm, edges and flow, posture and carriage, duration and general overall.

If it is spotlight there are some important differences: Emphasis is placed on the theatrical and entertainment value, rather than the technical accuracy of the performance; while there are no required moves, you are limited in the moves from higher levels (e.g. FS 1-4 can perform up to and including FS4 moves, FS 5-10 can perform any moves). There are penalties for performing moves from too high a level. Elaborate costumes and props are encouraged to help illustrate the act; however not every number needs a prop for effectiveness. Props, if used are limited to those that the skaters can carry or push onto the ice themselves in one trip in 30 seconds.
Judging criteria: costume and/or prop, duration, judges appeal, music and choreography, originality.

As you can see, these are different events one really judged on artistic impression and interpretation (also edges, posture, carriage etc.) , the other is really an act or show that is judged... That being said, I have seen a beautiful spotlight of a ballerina dancing to Swan Lake which could easily have been an Artistic program as well so there are lots of similarities...

As I said, you might want to clarify which it is as the program she creates might be different.

hope this helps!

mskater93

Record Breaker
in USFSA events "dramatic" means that the music is not chosen by the skaters, but by the event officials just before the event. Skaters do not prepare a program, but rater have the chance to listen to the music once, prepare a program in thier head and then skate it.

This is not necessarily true. At Adult Nationals, Interpretive events are broken between Light Entertainment/Comedy/Character and Artistic/Dramatic. These were all pre-choreographed programs.

Some events have "Artistic" which means showcase type programs (either comedic or dramatic) and "Interpretive" which means make it up as you go. Some call Interpretive showcase-type programs, you really need to read the announcement.

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
My daughter signed up for the artistic event at State games. As there is no ISI locally and we understand this to be a more ISI type event, I was wondering if someone could enlighten us about the type of music used in this event. She has chosen a light fluffy piece but an email from SGOA states that the event is also called dramatic. Does this mean the music should be more serious? I posted on another board but am loathe to bother a busy person at SGOA to get this answered. She didn't sign up for showcase because we didn't want to have to bring props and this event deducts for them. Thank you. :)

As an ISI skater I know what dramatic is, and the fact that your daughter chose a light fluffy piece doesn't feel well for her. It is considered a spotlight event and if you can talk to the competition director and tell them your daughter signed up for the wrong event. A light and fluffy program is a light entertainment one. A dramatic program needs to be a slow song with words that evokes emotion, so if your daughters program is in the wrong category, she will be marked down. ISI is nothing like USFSA so their meaning of dramatic is different.