Thread: Dr. Zhivago- breakout music?

Hybrid View

Rinkside

Dr. Zhivago- breakout music?

In watching some videos the other day, I noticed something about Dr. Zhivago. It seems to be the music that helps US skaters have a breakout season!

1995- Nicole Bobek won her first US title using this music

2004- Johnny Weir wins the US title and puts to rest the disastrous year from 2003

2009- Alissa Czisny won US Nationals after her 8th try

I just find this to be interesting. It seems to be the music for skaters who seemingly are done for, to make a miraculous comeback. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by maoyuna View Post
    ?
    The fair thing then would be to have a coin toss over the music - heads Michelle, tails Sasha.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-05-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    That's brilliant. I can totally see Sasha going for that given her penchant for Russian music. (It's Russian enough. Sorry, Monsieur Jarre!)

PS: Welcome to Goldenskate, maoyuna! Nice to see you're not caught up in the fanbot wars!
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 06-05-2009 at 02:58 PM.

Zvivago is simplistic music and very good for skaters who really can't perform the emotions of a great piece of music like some written by Ricard Straus. Most skaters are limited in the emotional department. They are much too young and inexperienced in life, but the pretty music gets the fans.

The alternatives to Zvivago, Roti's R&J, Thais, and all those pieces of music with those sugary themes would be Carmen. Also very good for skaters of young age. It shows a variety of movement to those tunes. At least one can judge the skater's ability for timing and rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Zvivago is simplistic music and very good for skaters who really can't perform the emotions of a great piece of music like some written by Ricard Straus. Most skaters are limited in the emotional department. They are much too young and inexperienced in life, but the pretty music gets the fans.
    That's very condescending! And totally untrue, to boot.

One might say the opposite, that only artistically talented skaters like Johnny and Alissa can pull off this beautiful piece. That's ridiculous, to imply that these skaters, of all skaters, "can't perform the emotions of a great piece of music" and thus sticking with some "simplistic music" like Dr. Zhivago!

By the way, I was rewatching Johnny's old programs the other day (and really enjoying them), and it struck me that Alissa has been picking Johnny's old music a lot: Dr. Zhivago, The Swan. What's she going to do next? Otonal? That remains my favorite of Johnny's programs. Suguri didn't do it justice, but maybe Alissa could.

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post

One might say the opposite, that only artistically talented skaters like Johnny and Alissa can pull off this beautiful piece. That's ridiculous, to imply that these skaters, of all skaters, "can't perform the emotions of a great piece of music" and thus sticking with some "simplistic music" like Dr. Zhivago!
    Well, movie soundtracks are often more simplistic than, let's say classical music. That's a fact, I can prove that. They are not written to be complex, they are written with the intention of underlining certain scenes in movies. They are written in order to evoke clear emotions that are relevant to the action of the movies.

And yes, I think it's a lot easier to perform to these kinds of music than to certain kinds of classical music. Especially if you have this controlled lyrical polished and precise style of Czisny and Weir (continue the list with Zhang, Asada etc.), they can just skate their natural style, they don't have to be on the beat of the music. Of course you need this style to begin with, but just put Zhivago on to Zhang's Ave Maria, Johnny's Notre Dame, Asada's Claire de la Lune... It always looks good, it often evokes the right emotions.

Same actually goes for one of my all-time favourites, Yagudin. He used the same kind of soundtrack over and over again. Majestic simple music, like in Gladiator and Man in the Iron Mask, with lyrical slow section. It suited his powerful skating style perfectly and everyone was in awe.

True versatility is difficult to achieve in my opinion. I am a fan (obviously) but I think Lambiel is a true versatile skater. You can't exchange the music of the Four Seasons with the music of Poèta, or the music of Romeo&Juliet with one of his jazzy numbers. Takahashi is pretty good too. (Amodio, Chan and Rippon are my candidates for the next generation)
    Last edited by Medusa; 06-05-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    I did say most
    Who would do justice to Tschaikowsky's Violin Concerto? An accomplished violinist? an accomplished ballerino? a figure skater?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Zvivago is simplistic music and very good for skaters who really can't perform the emotions of a great piece of music like some written by Ricard Straus.

Doctor Zhivago is just one of many great scores composed by Maurice Jarre. It is hardly simplistic which is why it was a Grammy and Academy Award winning score in 1965. Other notable scores by Jarre include:

1962 Lawrence of Arabia Won the 1962 Academy Award for Best Music score

1965 Doctor Zhivago Grammy Award / Academy Award for Best Music Score

1966 Is Paris Burning?
    1966 Grand Prix
    1968 Isadora
    1969 Topaz
    1970 Ryan's Daughter
    1971 Plaza Suite
    1972 The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
    1974 The Island at the Top of the World
    1976 The Last Tycoon
    1977 Mohammad, Messenger of God Nominated for Best Music, Original Score
    1980 Shōgun (TV miniseries)
    1982 Firefox

1982 The Year of Living Dangerously (interesting electronic music score)

1984 A Passage to India Won the 1984 Academy Award for Best Score

1985 Witness Nominated for Best Music, Original Score
    1985 Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
    1986 The Mosquito Coast
    1987 No Way Out
    1987 Fatal Attraction

1988 Gorillas in the Mist: Nominated for Best Music, Original Score
    1989 Dead Poets Society British Academy Awards, 1989, Best Original Music

1990 Jacob's Ladder
    1990 Ghost Nominated for Best Music Academy Award
    1993 Fearless
    1993 Mr. Jones

1995 A Walk in the Clouds Golden Globe, 1995, Best Original Score
    1996 The Sunchaser

2000 I Dreamed of Africa
    2001 Uprising

He wrote more than what I listed and people in the music industry consider him an extraordinary writer.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post

1962 Lawrence of Arabia Won the 1962 Academy Award for Best Music score
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Michelle used this for her LP in the 1997 Worlds?

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    That's brilliant. I can totally see Sasha going for that given her penchant for Russian music. (It's Russian enough. Sorry, Monsieur Jarre!)

PS: Welcome to Goldenskate, maoyuna! Nice to see you're not caught up in the fanbot wars!
    Spun, I hope Sasha doesn't pick Zhivago music, I just curl up in a little ball when I hear that music...I'm not quite sure why I don't like it...I would rather chew on nails than to hear that music.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Spun, I hope Sasha doesn't pick Zhivago music, I just curl up in a little ball when I hear that music...I'm not quite sure why I don't like it...I would rather chew on nails than to hear that music.
    I happen to like the score (Johnny's cut slighty better than Alissa's) but i agree with you that we need another "Zhivago" program as badly as we need another "Carmen."
    (Why do I have a hunch that Yuna may use "Carmen" for either her SP or LP?
    She used it in her junior years and sometimes skaters like to revisit old programs.)
    You may not like the music (especially "Lara's Theme") the way some people can't stand hearing Jobim's "Girl From Ipanema" due to hearing it a million or more times it some of the silliest , most vanilla type "elevator" music arrangements ever recorded. I happen to love the song "Moon River" and my favorite is when Audrey Hepburn sings it in a simple arrangement featured in the movie. But geez - I have heard so many bland versions of that song that I can live without ever hearing it again. I think we all have songs or music that can bug us that way.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-07-2009 at 01:41 PM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    DEE! Even if it's Sasha? Even if it's her ticket to the Olympics? I"m shocked. Shocked!

(I'm not dying to hear it again either, but we know Sasha likes over-familiar music so we're screwed no matter what she chooses. Anyway, Alissa did so beautifully with it that I know Sasha could make it work. For me, it's her Moonlight Sonata program that makes me want to puke and it's not a good-luck talisman....)