Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Zhivago- breakout music?

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    One of my favorite skates by Michelle was at '95 Worlds when she was only 14.
    Rondo Capriccioso. She did 7 triples (in 9 jumping passes!) Should have medalled.

Here's something I had forgotten. According to Heather's jump statistics Michelle did three combos including 2A+2T. If she does decide to come back this season, a 2A+3T would give her a way to get in 7 triples without a triple-triple.

This could be important, because Michelle has never done a 3Lz+3T in competition, and her old 3T+3T, which she did in major competition 11 times, is a CoP disaster. It's only worth 8 points and uses up one of her two allowed repeated jumps.

Rinkside

1962 Lawrence of Arabia Won the 1962 Academy Award for Best Music score
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Michelle used this for her LP in the 1997 Worlds?

My answer would be: D = all of the above (and don't forget a "flamenco" dancer .
    Of course you are right to suggest a violinist in the most literal sense .
    It might be interesting to think of which skater(s) could do the most justice to Tschaikowsky's Violin Concerto.
    Who would you like to see skate to it?
    That's understandable for you. Just skate to the sweet and surgary part. Melodies bring out the tragic soap opera tears. Nothing wrong with movie music, but it's nothing to swoon over, and it becomes worse when a skater ignores it to do a Triple Triple. But I agree, movie music is the best for skaters. Keeps them from being some sort of heroine in Opera music. (The Toscas, and Carmens doing Flying Camels have no meaning if the skater is following the character of the story. Stick to the music; not to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    By the way, other than Plush's violinist friend, has anyone ever composed a piece of music for figue skating? The Americans used to when a new Ice Show hit town, but that was when show skating was a must.
    Maxim Rodriguez composed a fair amount of muic specifically for the french skaters at one time. Off the top of my head - he composed Candeloro's D'artagnan music (one of my favourite programmes of his). I think he worked with Candeloro a lot. Also he worked with Abitbol&Bernadis who are one of my favourite pairs of all time - their programmes were always creative and stood out for their originality, perhaps helped by the composition? I'm draqwing a blank on the name but i'm sure it was somethign like Angel and Devil (or possible demon) which i loved of theirs.

Ant
    Last edited by antmanb; 06-08-2009 at 06:47 AM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Somewhat OT, but I had the chance to meet a famous composer, Osvaldo Golijov, right at the time we were discussing what music Caroline Z should use for her programs this season. I was all set to ask him how he felt about skaters using his music. I wanted to tell him about her and Johnny. But then I listened to many snippets of it on Amazon and realized it was totally unsuitable for skating. Not too rhythmic, rather mournful, and mostly vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Maxim Rodriguez composed a fair amount of muic specifically for the french skaters at one time. Off the top of my head - he composed Candeloro's D'artagnan music (one of my favourite programmes of his). I think he worked with Candeloro a lot. Also he worked with Abitbol&Bernadis who are one of my favourite pairs of all time - their programmes were always creative and stood out for their originality, perhaps helped by the composition? I'm draqwing a blank on the name but i'm sure it was somethign like Angel and Devil (or possible demon) which i loved of theirs.
    Ant
    It was The Angel and The Devil. You can see their performance at 2000 Worlds on Youtube.

AFAIK, Joubert's All For You was composed especially for him.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptart View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Michelle used this for her LP in the 1997 Worlds?
    You would be correct - but it was only a short segment from "Lawrence" - used towards the end - for a tempo change and the motion it provided for her step sequence. I think in the film the music Michelle used was from scenes when the Arab army, many on camels - were moving across the desert. A kind of bumpy, clip cloppity "motion music" that was a good choice for her steps.

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post

Ant
    Very interesting, Ant. Are the musics recorded for sale? I hope he continues composing for figure skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    It was The Angel and The Devil. You can see their performance at 2000 Worlds on Youtube.
    WOW, That Pairs could be highly competitive today, and I believe the music was composed with Pairs in mind. Cheers for Rodriguez and also for Arbitol and Bernadis. It does get the viewer away from the 'same old tunes'.

Very interesting, Ant. Are the musics recorded for sale? I hope he continues composing for figure skaters.
    I'm not sure if his previously composed pieces are available for sale or not, though i'm sure skaters would like to buy them.

I seem to recall he had a website (that was his name, dot, something) but having just done a google search i've only seen passing reference (though there were links to download sites for music so perhaps it is available to buy?).

The hits through google kept linking back to skaters bios at the ISU site so he must have done a fair amount of compositions for skaters. Also seemingly for gymnasts.

Ant

WOW, That Pairs could be highly competitive today, and I believe the music was composed with Pairs in mind. Cheers for Rodriguez and also for Arbitol and Bernadis. It does get the viewer away from the 'same old tunes'.

How might a composer go about writing music specifically for Pairs skaters?
    Would it really be significantly different than what might be written for a singles skater? Do Pairs teams use music that is that much different than single skaters? I never really thought about this before.........

What devices could a composer use when accepting a commission to write something for a Pairs team. Would canonic style be useful? (Frere Jacques )
    Possibly fugue form would work. But Pairs also need to skate the best unison possible at times and a typical mirroring effect from a Pairs team might not be effective done to a canon or fugue. In fact it could cause real problems.
    Since some are against the whole concept of "background" music - whether it be from film or opera - I have included this link to show what can happen when skating to music - composed for skating - is utilized.
    Watch this clip at your own risk!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFPUXkZr50w

Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    Here is the link to Maxime's website. It's quite stylish and you can listen to a lot of his skating pieces, including D'Artagnan.

Googling only for Maxim (without the e) didn't get me good results either.

http://www.maximerodriguez.fr/
    Thanks Kunstrijdster i was missing the "e" so got nowhere!

Ant

Composing music for Pairs would be the same as composing music for a Pas de Deux, and composing music for Singles would be the same as composing music for Solos Just ask Tschaikowsky, the poor guy had to compose just the way the choreographer wanted it.

I'm not certain how movie background music is composed. Probably, after the edited filming has been completed and the composer follows the characters in the story. Silence, too, is important.

for Figure Skating, it seems to me to be quite a chore, and maybe that is why there is a dearth of music composed specifically for skating.

The music is typically written before the shooting of the film has been completed.
    It is the job of the music editor to add it to the film. The director of the film may take an active role in this but only to make sure he likes what he is seeing and hearing.
    This is such an over simplification, and your reply seems like that old common sense again. Of course there are committee meetings among the various aspects of making a motion picture, and the music composer for the film plays an active role as does the film editor, the Director, the scenic designer, the make-up artist, etc.

After the shower scene was filmed in Psycho, Hitchcock search for the original scary music to accompany the stabbings. The music wasn't playing when he was filming the scene. The composer could not have gotten the inspiration before seeing the scene in the Rushes.

There are much too many TAKES by the Director, and editing by the Film Editor for the composer to know how he will develop the music for the scenes. With so much going on, he will score the film when it is finished. - common sense. No?

Tripping on the Podium
    Okay guys, this is what I know about composing music to films. Mainly, the film owner gets interested in a certain composer then sends his film so that the composer would watch the film.. While the composer watches the film, the settings/plans for the composition (instruments and techinicalities of musical scores) is all programmed or set.

As they say, the music is made to fit the action in the film which is very detailed and time consuming wherein the composer has to repeatedly watch the film that needs the music. then the mapping out process of where and for how long the film needs music comes in. Composing music for film is a process of sharing and rewarding meeting of minds between the composer and movie director. Then if the composer and the music director has made it together, then sometimes for the future, the composer is again requested to compose the other future films.

I used to know a composer and I do hope I have contributed some ideas about film's music composers.
    Last edited by wishmaker; 06-09-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast