Detroit Skating Club Show report (Czisny, Abbott, Weaver & Poje, Best & Young) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Detroit Skating Club Show report (Czisny, Abbott, Weaver & Poje, Best & Young)

Probably so. I still wish they had invited Jeremy, Lysacek and Mroz to Skate America, along with Alissa, Rachael and Caroline and Davis & White, Belbin & Agosto and Chock & Zuerline.
:laugh: :laugh:
Hey MM, what you really wanted at Skate America was a complete roster of American skaters and no foreigners. Oh for the days of Campbells. ;)

:laugh: :laugh:
Hey MM, what you really wanted at Skate America was a complete roster of American skaters and no foreigners. Oh for the days of Campbells. ;)

All the Grand Prix's have three skaters from the host country and nine "foreigners" (in singles). So it is not a question of how many U.S. skaters will be at Skate America, but which ones.

The way I look at it, that means "which ones have earned the invitation?"

To me, Davis and White earned an invitation by being U.S. champions. Belbin and Agosto earned an invitation by their World silver medal.

As for the issue that we don't want U.S. skaters going against each other, I am not not convinced. If both D&W and B&A were at Skate America, they would be favored for first and second in some order (assuming Delobel and Schoenfeler don't show up.) By leaving Davis and White off the Skate Amercia roster, now they have to face Domnina and Shabalin twice, including once in Russia.

Think what a great competition Skate America could have been if they had B&A, D&W, Khokhlova and Novitski and Delobel and Shoenfelder at full strength. The event would be worth going to!

Oh well. Go Chock and Zuerlein! :yes:

Last edited:
I don't think SA or any other Host can choose the entire roster at their gig. They can choose 3, and I noticed that other Host Gps, has 3 US ladies listed as well as Men. So I think the American ladies and men did well. Poor Javier only got one GP. Three US Dance teams are featured in three GPs. The USFS has not even named their Pairs Teams at SA save one couple.

I don't think other Host Countries have so many of their skaters and teams above the normal as the USFS.has. Is that fair?

We can not complain about how the selections were made although we would like to know. But the USFS has more skaters in the GPs than other disciplines.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I don't think other Host Countries have so many of their skaters and teams above the normal as the USFS.has. Is that fair?

We can not complain about how the selections were made although we would like to know. But the USFS has more skaters in the GPs than other disciplines.
This poster wrote pretty much the the same thing and provided some stats by country in this post in "Grand Prix 2009 Entries are up!" thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showpost.php?p=397927&postcount=145

In short, the U.S. had the most GP assignments because they had the most skaters/teams that were guaranteed slots.

Last edited:
But the question was about which U.S. skaters the USFSA should select for Skate America.

Last year they selected U.S. men's champion Evan Lysacek. And U.S. ladies' champion Mirai Nagasu. And U.S. pairs champions McLaughlin and Brubaker. And U.S. dance champions Belbin and Agosto.

It just seems funny to me that all of a sudden they don't want their own champions at Skate America.

But the question was about which U.S. skaters the USFSA should select for Skate America.

Last year they selected U.S. men's champion Evan Lysacek. And U.S. ladies' champion Mirai Nagasu. And U.S. pairs champions McLaughlin and Brubaker. And U.S. dance champions Belbin and Agosto.

It just seems funny to me that all of a sudden they don't want their own champions at Skate America.
Wasn't that based on the US Nationals only? Do you realy think they should have selected Czisny, Abbott, Mcl/Bru, and Davis/White and not considered Worlds, where Flatt was the best American, Lysacek who won the Worlds, McL/Bru got it over Denny/Barrett who did better at Worlds, and B/A who got silver at Worlds as well as Chock/Zurlein who won Junior Worlds.

I think the USFS is looking at their skaters with a broader view than before. I like that. It's not just that they are planning to get back 3 spots for the Ladies at 2010 Worlds, and get a Dance team on the podium for the Olys. It's for world wide reputation.

I think the USFS is looking at their skaters with a broader view than before.

It looks like they are.

I was skeptical when they came out with guidelines for the Olympic team that seemed to downplay the all-mportance of Nationals. I thought, talk's cheap, let's see what they actually do. Maybe USFS really is taking a fresh approach to the international scene.

eleonora.d

On the Ice
Faiella and Scali did not perform. Someone on FSU said they were still training in Italy.

Faiella and Scali usually do participate in most of the shows and charity events in the Detroit area. They are a big crowd favorite, as you can imagine. The last time I saw them was in a show to raise money for the medical expenses for a gravely ill little girl who was a member of one of the smaller local clubs.

Massimo is injured and will not participate in a show in Japan planned by the end of this month :eek:hwell:
http://filoecontrofilo.blogspot.com/2009/06/massimo-scali-infortunato-massimo-scali.html

I know they usually participate and I'm glad that they are appreciated in the USA :clap: