View Poll Results: Favourite French Men skater ever

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Laurent Tobel

    4 4.94%
  • Jean-Christophe Simond

    0 0%
  • Alban Preaubert

    3 3.70%
  • Yannick Ponsero

    4 4.94%
  • Eric Millot

    4 4.94%
  • Stannick Jeanette

    4 4.94%
  • Frederic Dambier

    4 4.94%
  • Philippe Candeloro

    19 23.46%
  • Brian Joubert

    39 48.15%
  • Other: Be sure to comment

    0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Favourite French Men Skater ever

  1. #1
    just call me K or Art jockey
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    81

    Question Favourite French Men Skater ever

    Plain and simple

    Who is your favourite French Men singles skater ever.
    Post the reasons for your choice and feel free to compare and contrast...

  2. #2
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    I voted for Candeloro because I saw him skate Live with COI and he really put on a show and got the crowd going.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    417
    Sure, Brian Joubert is hot, but just seems a bit full of himself and his edge quality doesn't impress me, either. Ponsero stole my breath and my heart this season. When he's on, he's the whole package. Gorgeous edging, huuuuuuge 4T with beautiful outflow, and great expression and movement. I really hope he can keep his head together and deliver what he's capable of at the Olympics next year!

  4. #4
    Custom Title NatachaHatawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    724
    No prizes for guessing who I voted for...

  5. #5
    Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    On the shores of the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    882
    Philippe Candeloro, because he could spin on his knees.

  6. #6
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Philippe Candeloro, because he could spin on his knees.
    Philippe had an understanding of combining sport w/ performance that has yet to be matched... A true gift to the sport

    Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    Sure, Brian Joubert is hot, but just seems a bit full of himself and his edge quality doesn't impress me, either. Ponsero stole my breath and my heart this season. When he's on, he's the whole package. Gorgeous edging, huuuuuuge 4T with beautiful outflow, and great expression and movement. I really hope he can keep his head together and deliver what he's capable of at the Olympics next year!
    I never understand Joubert critism of being arrogant... he's a competitive athlete in a competitive sport and he is quick to own his mistakes and is always very honest with his opinions. His bluntness doesn't upset me like it does some - but like my husband points out, I'blunt so what do I know... And he IS hot...

  7. #7
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Dambier

    He had a great quad sal, his programmes were more "french" (ie completely off the wall!) than skaters like Joubert.

    I loved his choreography, even if he didn't always land the jumps. It's a shame that he had to compete against some of the strongest skaters in the history of the sport Pluschenko and Yags, together with very strong skaters like Abt, Klimkin and Joubert.

    EDIT: oh and he is HOT! Hotter than Joubert IMO

    Ant

  8. #8
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Dambier

    He had a great quad sal, his programmes were more "french" (ie completely off the wall!) than skaters like Joubert.

    I loved his choreography, even if he didn't always land the jumps. It's a shame that he had to compete against some of the strongest skaters in the history of the sport Pluschenko and Yags, together with very strong skaters like Abt, Klimkin and Joubert.

    EDIT: oh and he is HOT! Hotter than Joubert IMO

    Ant
    Yes! Another Dambier vote! I thought that he would get several votes, but I was all alone. Now he got at least two votes.

    Joubert simply doesn't skate French. I remember the British Eurosport guys saying at Europeans 2002 (!) that Joubert's style is more reminiscent (did I spell that correctly?) of the strong American "masculine" style.

  9. #9
    Custom Title NatachaHatawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Yes! Another Dambier vote! I thought that he would get several votes, but I was all alone. Now he got at least two votes.

    Joubert simply doesn't skate French. I remember the British Eurosport guys saying at Europeans 2002 (!) that Joubert's style is more reminiscent (did I spell that correctly?) of the strong American "masculine" style.
    His influences are Stojko and Yagudin so it's kind of normal. What makes Brian really different to other French skaters is that French skaters (ex: Stannick Jeannette) tend to be more bothered about creativity, esthetics and originality than quads.

  10. #10
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by NatachaHatawa View Post
    His influences are Stojko and Yagudin so it's kind of normal. What makes Brian really different to other French skaters is that French skaters (ex: Stannick Jeannette) tend to be more bothered about creativity, esthetics and originality than quads.
    Oh, I am not really complaining. Joubert is also the only consistent male single's skater France had in, well, all eternity? And look at the current crop, Ponsero skates French but is such a headcase, it's not even funny any more. Amodio seems to go down a similar road like Ponsero and Contesti was all inconsistent while skating for France and now hits 7 to 8 Triples performances for Italy on a regular basis. There is probably some curse; Joubert is immune and Contesti escaped by changing countries.

  11. #11
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Oh, I am not really complaining. Joubert is also the only consistent male single's skater France had in, well, all eternity? And look at the current crop, Ponsero skates French but is such a headcase, it's not even funny any more. Amodio seems to go down a similar road like Ponsero and Contesti was all inconsistent while skating for France and now hits 7 to 8 Triples performances for Italy on a regular basis. There is probably some curse; Joubert is immune and Contesti escaped by changing countries.
    I have to admit that i just don't get Ponsero. That ice five (was that what it was called) just had me running from the TV, it was so stiff and wooden, the music was awful....i could go on but will refrain.

    Right now I think Contesti out-frenches the whole french team put together. I disliked preaubert trying to do "classical" as well. He should do what he does best and just be himself.

    Ant

  12. #12
    Custom Title NatachaHatawa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Paris
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Oh, I am not really complaining. Joubert is also the only consistent male single's skater France had in, well, all eternity? And look at the current crop, Ponsero skates French but is such a headcase, it's not even funny any more. Amodio seems to go down a similar road like Ponsero and Contesti was all inconsistent while skating for France and now hits 7 to 8 Triples performances for Italy on a regular basis. There is probably some curse; Joubert is immune and Contesti escaped by changing countries.
    Don't worry, I didn't understand your comment as a complaint.

    Well the curse must be recent, because if one takes skaters like Alain Calmat, then it hasn't alsays existed.

    The "curse" is general with French atheltes, not just skaters. French atheltes always perform poorly when they're the favourites but rock the house when they're unexpected.

    The irregularity of our skaters' performances might have something to do with our training culture, although I can't say as I'm not a skater myself.

  13. #13
    Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    On the shores of the Chesapeake Bay
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    And he had these Russian cossack hops, whatever they were/are called....

    His exhibitions were always sure to include the knee spin, the hops, the backflip and most of the time also the removal of his shirt
    I saw pictures of Candeloro recently and he might want to keep his shirt on!

  14. #14
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,426
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Right now I think Contesti out-frenches the whole french team put together.
    That's a good point! That LP he had this year (one article described him as "starring in his own spaghetti western" ) was much Frencher than what the officially French guys came up with. Also agree about the need for the de-Albanization of Alban to stop. He should continue to be wacky - he doesn't have the posture or the technique to go all classical on us.

    I'll ignore that bit of heresy about Ponsero, but admit that the Ice 5 outfit was indefensible. Surely being French the guys should have a better feel for fashion?

    Finally - my vote goes to Brian, of course, though I'll allow that it took me a while to decide; I love Brian, but he's French by nationality, not in his skating.

  15. #15
    Custom Title snowflake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,457
    Jeanette gets my vote because he was so unique. The LP he did in 2000 really surprised me and caught my attention. No other guy did moves or spins like that. I went to Paris in 2003 to see him live(among other favorites) but he WD after his SP. He disappeared too soon from eligible skating in my opinion. I haven't seen or heard of him in a long time, but I hope he still skates?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •