Skating Shows, Cirque du Soleil, and PT Barnum | Golden Skate

Skating Shows, Cirque du Soleil, and PT Barnum

I passed a Cirque du Soleil poster today and the performer pictured in it made me think of a skater. It made me wonder why Cirque is so very popular while skating shows are less and less so. Has anyone tried to assemble a Cirque-style skating show with any success?

SOI (like COI in the past) focuses on individual skating stars -- even with all the group numbers, there's a lot of hype of individual skaters and each one gets his or her special introduction, solo and (strongly milked :scowl:) round of applause. I find that approach to be less and less successful since skaters' fame is so narrow nowadays.

I'm curious whether a show that was more of a "magical event" would work. For example, that would be the perfect "home" for a number like the three angels piece that Johnny did with Melissa Gregory and Dennis Petukov. That trio went outside the figure skating box and was quite a hit, and I wonder what else could be done if skaters were willing to be more theatrical and imaginative.

These questions also made me think of P.T. Barnum, the circus founder who also promoted such diverse stars as Buffalo Bill, Annie Oakley, and the soprano Jenny Lind. In the 19th C. theaters and impresarios were much more willing to give audiences variety rather than demanding that people climb up to a Bayreuthian peak of great art. That's another possible way to bring skating to new audiences. Why shouldn't Alissa and Johnny (and Johnny-Stephane) do numbers in Cirque du Soleil? Why shouldn't Sasha and Plushy team up with Celine Dion in Las Vegas? (Sasha did a great exhibition to Dion's God Bless America.)

I know there have been many efforts to pair, e.g., skating and gymnastics, skating and fashion, but what I'm wondering about is whether either an old-fashioned or new-fashioned theatrical extravaganza could successfully include skating and whether that could be good for skating.

After all, it was Anna Pavlova killing that damn swan all over the USA for 10 years that gave us the ballet audiences of today. (Slight exaggeration....)

More off-season wonderings...

janetfan

Match Penalty
I think you raise some interesting questions but not sure if I have any answers.
You mentioned Johnny in most of your examples. He might be good at something combining a higher degree of theatrics with skating. There is a logistical problem and expense to provide a show with ice for only one or two acts so I guess you meant for an entire variety type show to be produced on ice? (Or maybe "Phantom of the Opera" on ice." OK, baaaad idea.....:laugh:)
That could be done but certainly would need a very good creative team to come up with a concept that could compete with other entertainments out there.
Right now I think it would be hard to sell without a headlining "ice princess" or more skaters with more "it" factor. Or wait for Yuna to retire from competitons as I hear she is actually a pretty talented singer. Or bring back Sasha's short lived contorsionist act.

Last edited:
Well, there's Holiday on Ice, which seems to have a similar aesthetic, but is not currently active in North America:
http://www.holidayonice.biz/index.html
That does look like what I had in mind, only the name, the name... it's so backward looking. The individual show names are nice. But what's it like (if anyone's seen it)? Who's been in it?

There is a logistical problem and expense to provide a show with ice for only one or two acts so I guess you meant for an entire variety type show to be produced on ice? (Or maybe "Phantom of the Opera" on ice." OK, baaaad idea.....)
That could be done but certainly would need a very good creative team to come up with a concept that could compete with other entertainments out there.
Actually I love the idea of one or two skating acts in the middle of another show, but maybe only Madonna could afford that. Well, why not? She needs something new.

I agree about the very good creative team. That's what my beef about SOI boils down to: no imagination. It looks like a low-budget entertainment for little kiddies which I guess is pretty much what it is nowadays.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
The difference I see is that cirque du soleil shows apart from the individual abilities of their actors have a fascinating direction and photography, and are based on the group action rather than single presentations. Even if the artist in the foreground is doing that hard work there is a whole background of b characters adding a great deal to the final result. I dont know how it can be done on ice that.

dewey

Rinkside
There are a few key differences. The cast in Cirque are largely unknowns; there are no headliners. Many are retired Eastern Block gymnasts. Other people work for years just to make it to a Cirque audition. Once in, Cirque becomes their career. They train for months and then perform full time, sometimes multiple shows per day. I don't know how long the average performer stays with it.

SOI, on the other hand, is seasonal. The skaters have coaching commitments, their own shows, and other gigs in the off season. Also, all of the skaters are well-known, at least to skating fans. So attendees are there to see their favorites as much as to see a show.

So I think a Cirque-like show would be more suited to good but not elite skaters who are looking for a full-time skating job for a few years. Like the people who now do Disney on Ice.

The difference I see is that cirque du soleil shows apart from the individual abilities of their actors have a fascinating direction and photography, and are based on the group action rather than single presentations. Even if the artist in the foreground is doing that hard work there is a whole background of b characters adding a great deal to the final result. I dont know how it can be done on ice that.
Why not?
(I agree with your description. Also, live new-agey music, no?)

seniorita

Record Breaker
now what i bring in mind is scenes from cirque that have too many levels in all directions (width, height, depth of the scene they perform on) , when I wrote I dont know if it is possible, I dont oppose to if it can be done on ice rather than I cant imagine it cause i try to transfer the scenes of cirque du soleil on ice and I cannot see the whole picture..I agree about music.

janetfan

Match Penalty
That does look like what I had in mind, only the name, the name... it's so backward looking. The individual show names are nice. But what's it like (if anyone's seen it)? Who's been in it?
Actually I love the idea of one or two skating acts in the middle of another show, but maybe only Madonna could afford that. Well, why not? She needs something new.
I agree about the very good creative team. That's what my beef about SOI boils down to: no imagination. It looks like a low-budget entertainment for little kiddies which I guess is pretty much what it is nowadays.

Something like this could have it's best chance to run after an Olympic year. If it was a hit they could always keep it going with updated acts.
One problem is that many skating fans are not necessarily big fans of exhibition skating. I agree a better name - something more contemporay and with a little more sizzle.
As to Madonna - it might be better to invite stars outside of skating to broaden the audience appeal rather than looking for a star to add ice for a guest appearnace of one skating act..
If all else fails they can resort to the Mishin's secret weapon - Plushy and mini-Plushy ! :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Lol mini plushy is Gachinsky, Mishin's skater in Juniors , not so litlle any more!

Something like this could have it's best chance to run after an Olympic year. If it was a hit they could always keep it going with updated acts.
One problem is that many skating fans are not necessarily big fans of exhibition skating. I agree a better name - something more contemporay and with a little more sizzle.
I agree about the post-Olympic timing.

True, competition-skating fans and exhibition-skating fans are not necessarily the same people. I wonder though if better exhibitions -- as in imaginative Cirque-du-Soleil-calibre shows appealing that emphasize the artistic side of skating while not omitting to showcase the technical side -- might bring new people to skating (the way the Bell Telephone Hour used to bring new people to opera). Some would become "serious" fans, some would just keep going to shows, but it all helps.

plushyta

On the Ice
On Plushenko's tour shows "Golden Ice of Stradivary", perform and acrobate-skaters, from so-called "extreme skating". Among them is one couple - Ekaterina & Alexander Chesna, who have skating number, which partially performed in the air - similar to some number in Cirque de Soleil.... ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch5dFUc_dkw

In addition, in the Russian TV show "Star Ice" (september-december 2008) where is compete pairs (made of one Russian "stars" & one famous skater) ... in one episode, all the couples had a number "in air", similar to Chesna's perfomance (they have, actually, prepared them for that) :cool:

Lera Kudryavceva & Gwendal Peizerat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL3YYELQmew

Fekla Tolstaya & John Zimmerman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMzPenjUZUc

Anastasiya Grebenkina & Alexandr Belov
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZl1n43nbJI

Elena Berezhnaya & Dima Bilan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y4hj1NVT2w

Maybe it's the Syndrome: "Seen one?; Seen them all."

Does the show draw you to come back? It's not like other Sports that one becomes fans of. Skating Shows, Cirque du Soleil, Circuses, etc. All have mighty tricks to show and costumes to knock your eyes out. But, how often does one want to see them again, again, and again?

Spectaculars have their place in 'show biz', but isn't seeing them once enough?

Now the Sport of Figure Skating, Gymnastics, Skate Boarding, etc., one goes to see the competitors as in any Sport, over and over again.

To be honest, I feel that way too Joe. I only went to Cirque once and would vastly rather go to a competition than a skating show.

But elite competitions are pretty far away, thus very expensive to attend, and if Plushenko, Lambiel, Miki and Arakawa were coming my way in the kind of spectacle that Plushyta describes, I wouldn't hesitate.

And if the spectacle changed significantly each year, sure, I'd keep going.

Hate to say it, but it should change the lead skaters around too.

Clarice

Rinkside
If I'm remembering correctly, didn't somebody try to resurrect Ice Capades with a Cirque du Soleil style show this year? And didn't it go bankrupt and strand the skaters somewhere in Canada?

To be honest, I feel that way too Joe. I only went to Cirque once and would vastly rather go to a competition than a skating show.

But elite competitions are pretty far away, thus very expensive to attend, and if Plushenko, Lambiel, Miki and Arakawa were coming my way in the kind of spectacle that Plushyta describes, I wouldn't hesitate.

And if the spectacle changed significantly each year, sure, I'd keep going.

Hate to say it, but it should change the lead skaters around too.
Yes, SS. We do get sufficient Sport of FS from Oct-March, but the Spring Summer Months are barren. I wouldn't mind taking in a show with the skaters you mentioned but I'm not really into watching some Prince kiss some Plain Jane and live happyily ever after - on skates with lots of glitter. I conveniently get the chance to see MidAtlantics in September and while it is not the best competition, I do get to see some good 2nd tier stars.

I don't enjoy ALL sports, except for Championships, and so I'm happy with baseball during the spring/summer months.

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't somebody try to resurrect Ice Capades with a Cirque du Soleil style show this year? And didn't it go bankrupt and strand the skaters somewhere in Canada?
While I am not a fan of glitter, Las Vegas seems to be the last outpost of it. The LV fans who do not gamble tend to see as many shows as possible. Why not an ice extravaganza? I'm sure the non gambling fans would go. It would keep some skaters busy and with some earned needed money.

While I am not a fan of glitter, Las Vegas seems to be the last outpost of it. The LV fans who do not gamble tend to see as many shows as possible. Why not an ice extravaganza?

Here ya go!

http://shop.lasvegas.com/shows/showtimes2.jsp?show=1018

Ice: Direct from Russia at the Riviera presents an eclectic blend of skaters who put on an electrifying and entertaining ice skating show. Transported straight from the frigid city of Moscow, the show reflects the Las Vegas desert's warmth and vibrance, bringing an array of color, mystery and sheer talent to the stage.

Directed by Debra Brown, the show is adapted from Sergey Ryshkoff's Moscow Ice Circus. Combining sensuality with acrobatic and aerial feats, this fast-paced show will amaze you...

I believe that may be a travelling show and not a permanent one, and certainly not N.American. I was thinking the many permanent shows like Celine, Donnie&Marie, or Cirque du Soleil. LV pays well, I am sure there will be great guest stars like Kwan, Cohen, Weiss, Lambiel raking in the dough, and each for two or three weeks accompanied by a good permanent chorus line.

On a smaller scale, the Sun Valley skating shows are very popular with vacationers. These shows usually feature one famous guest performer and a local chorus of whoever they can round up.

Here is a cute history of how the shows came into being.

http://www.sunvalley.com/SunValley/info/sp.ice.aspx

This summer's guest stars are Joe Sabovcik, Davis and White, Ryan Bradley, Brian Boitano, Alissa Czisny, Johnny Weir, Dubreuil and Lauzon, Jeremy Abbott, Navarro and Bommentre, and -- for a preview of the Grand Prix -- TBA. :)

Last edited: