Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skating Shows, Cirque du Soleil, and PT Barnum

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    To be honest, I feel that way too Joe. I only went to Cirque once and would vastly rather go to a competition than a skating show.

But elite competitions are pretty far away, thus very expensive to attend, and if Plushenko, Lambiel, Miki and Arakawa were coming my way in the kind of spectacle that Plushyta describes, I wouldn't hesitate.

And if the spectacle changed significantly each year, sure, I'd keep going.

Hate to say it, but it should change the lead skaters around too.
    Yes, SS. We do get sufficient Sport of FS from Oct-March, but the Spring Summer Months are barren. I wouldn't mind taking in a show with the skaters you mentioned but I'm not really into watching some Prince kiss some Plain Jane and live happyily ever after - on skates with lots of glitter. I conveniently get the chance to see MidAtlantics in September and while it is not the best competition, I do get to see some good 2nd tier stars.

I don't enjoy ALL sports, except for Championships, and so I'm happy with baseball during the spring/summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly, didn't somebody try to resurrect Ice Capades with a Cirque du Soleil style show this year? And didn't it go bankrupt and strand the skaters somewhere in Canada?
    While I am not a fan of glitter, Las Vegas seems to be the last outpost of it. The LV fans who do not gamble tend to see as many shows as possible. Why not an ice extravaganza? I'm sure the non gambling fans would go. It would keep some skaters busy and with some earned needed money.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    While I am not a fan of glitter, Las Vegas seems to be the last outpost of it. The LV fans who do not gamble tend to see as many shows as possible. Why not an ice extravaganza?
    Here ya go!

http://shop.lasvegas.com/shows/showtimes2.jsp?show=1018

Ice: Direct from Russia at the Riviera presents an eclectic blend of skaters who put on an electrifying and entertaining ice skating show. Transported straight from the frigid city of Moscow, the show reflects the Las Vegas desert's warmth and vibrance, bringing an array of color, mystery and sheer talent to the stage.

Directed by Debra Brown, the show is adapted from Sergey Ryshkoff's Moscow Ice Circus. Combining sensuality with acrobatic and aerial feats, this fast-paced show will amaze you...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I believe that may be a travelling show and not a permanent one, and certainly not N.American. I was thinking the many permanent shows like Celine, Donnie&Marie, or Cirque du Soleil. LV pays well, I am sure there will be great guest stars like Kwan, Cohen, Weiss, Lambiel raking in the dough, and each for two or three weeks accompanied by a good permanent chorus line.

On a smaller scale, the Sun Valley skating shows are very popular with vacationers. These shows usually feature one famous guest performer and a local chorus of whoever they can round up.

Here is a cute history of how the shows came into being.

http://www.sunvalley.com/SunValley/info/sp.ice.aspx

This summer's guest stars are Joe Sabovcik, Davis and White, Ryan Bradley, Brian Boitano, Alissa Czisny, Johnny Weir, Dubreuil and Lauzon, Jeremy Abbott, Navarro and Bommentre, and -- for a preview of the Grand Prix -- TBA.
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-09-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    This sounds pretty much like SOI to me -- Las Vegas on the cheap. I could be wrong.

We actually saw this show back in December when we were in Las Vegas for the winter break. It was mildly entertaining, but I much prefer SOI with my favorite pro skaters doing their individual performances and group numbers.

The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar

Here is a cute history of how the shows came into being.

http://www.sunvalley.com/SunValley/info/sp.ice.aspx

This summer's guest stars are Joe Sabovcik, Davis and White, Ryan Bradley, Brian Boitano, Alissa Czisny, Johnny Weir, Dubreuil and Lauzon, Jeremy Abbott, Navarro and Bommentre, and -- for a preview of the Grand Prix -- TBA.
    Are all these Stars skating in the same show, or are they featured separately for one week at a time?

If they were to test their new but rudimentary GP routines at SV, it would be wonderful for the local fans and those who wish to travel to SV.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2