Fibonacci, Music and Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Fibonacci, Music and Skating

Yes. The actual text looks like this.

http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/images4/rhind.JPG

Can you find a mistake on this page? (It says 7 to the 5th power is 16707 insread of 16807. :) )

I havent actually known much about history of mathematics in theory apart from the very important ones starting from hellenistic period, so that would be fun:)

You mentioned Imdian mathematics before. In trigonometry, the word "sine" is taken from the Sanskit word for "bowstring."

i had read about the compose of music using hailstone sequences , but i dont know how.

:eek: I can't imaging how this would sound. These sequences are all but random, until the last few notes. It would be like a kitten bouincing about on the piano keys. :)

You want this caroline image?;)

http://web.icenetwork.com/images/2007/11/08/RfaMqwn3.jpg

You have a better one ?

That's the best I've seen yet.

janetfan

Match Penalty
yesterday , i think in one of the links janetfan or you gave, it was written that although people think davinci used the golden ratio to draw the vitruvian man, actually he didnt. Did he?
You didnt give me a good photo of caroline for your pearl request so i made you this, I hope you can see .swf:)
http://www.mediafire.com/?omn2ujjvmtm

Thanks so much seniorita. Your example is great :agree: - better than just using a picture. My download was easy, no problems.
I really, really like it and appreciate it it very much. :clap:
In case you don't know I love "Princess Caroline. :love:
Dont worry, you are better ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Now you are impressed?:unsure:
:p (joke)

Yes. The actual text looks like this.

http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com/images4/rhind.JPG

Can you find a mistake on this page? (It says 7 to the 5th power is 16707 insread of 16807. :) )
I hope you kid :cool:

:eek: I can't imaging how this would sound. These sequences are all but random, until the last few notes. It would be like a kitten bouincing about on the piano keys. :)

I m talking nonsense? :laugh: I think about this sequence with odd and even numbers, since next number will be either half or 3 times the previous one, you pass the numbers through logarithmic fuction of ten, the fact that last numbers repeat themselves was like closing the music piece, and you get something that sounds like this http://www.mediafire.com/?myooydwiwom
i dont get any credit for this, i had read this all on a site or something when we were trying to simulate a h. sequence a month ago.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Here is a puzzle using the knight piece from chess. Something also about the knight using the the fibonacci numbers when it moves 2+1 or 1+2

http://www.borderschess.org/KnightTour.htm

I was reading a few articles about disclaimers for the Golden Ratio. Mostly about music and saying it's use by Mozart in particular may be more accidental than intentional. He did write many piano sonatas (two movements in his era) and many of them switch from 1st to 2nd movement at 62nd measue, leaving 38 measures for 2nd mvt.
If anyone can complete the chess puzzle let us know.
I tried the puzzle once - and although i did poorly, oddly enough, i left 13 open.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
this is annoying puzzle, you can glue for hours:unsure:
after 3 attempts i ended up with this :frown2: http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9186/chessu.jpg
i have understood you need to go spiral around each step, but when i reach the end i miss something:think:

You are doing better than me. I tried twice and left 13 and then 10. MM is quiet....maybe he will figure it out. :)
Last night you had me laughing so hard - with the remarks about CoP , Egyptians jumping off their pyramids, many comments were hilarious. :rock:

a8 (start) c7 d6 b8 d7 f8 h7 g5 h3 g1 e2 c1 a2 b4 c2 a1 b3 a5 b7 d8 f7 h8 g6 h4 g2 e1 f3 d2 b1 a3 b5 a7 c8 b6 a4 b2 d1 c3 d5 f4 h5 g3 h1 f2 d3 c5 e4 f6 g8 a6 g4 h2 f1 e3 c4 e5 c6 e7 f5 d4 e6 g7 e8 d6 :biggrin:

(But I cheated, I know the trick. :biggrin: )

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh nonono mathman, delete this, I dont look, I m pretty stubborn, i want to solve this!!

but can you give a hint of your trick please, unless this horse secretely flies, I have tried all the possible spiral ways and I miss the corners at the end! I end up with 3 squares! :banging: Do you have to end up where you began, the secret?

My headchef is out of town, I have got the whole department playing with the damn horse today!:laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Janet did you find it?
I give up for today, I already feel enough stupid:boohoo: this horse turned out to be a lemon!

Mathman I read the essay you post, I miss something, but I want to see it again home, I havent done so theoritical analysis myself, most of the times i use theory to apply it in computer science, and mostly the differential sequences.

Oh nonono mathman, delete this, I dont look, I m pretty stubborn, i want to solve this!!

but can you give a hint of your trick please, unless this horse secretely flies, I have tried all the possible spiral ways and I miss the corners at the end!

This problem is a special case of what is called a Hamiltonian path, or Hamiltonian circuit, in graph theory. It is used in serious applications like circuit design, transportation networks, and the like.

Here is the trick. At each move, go to the square that gives you the smallest number of possible plays on the next move. (If it is a tie, take either one. There are billions and billions of possible ways to do it in all.)

To see why this method works, consider your problem with missing the corners. Suppose your knight is at f7. Where should it go next? The move with the least number of next moves is to go into the corner, h8, right now, because after that there is only one possible move, g6.

If you don't go to the corner right now, you can never get there, because the only remaining square from which you can access h8 is g6, and then there is no way to get out again. :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Janet did you find it?
I give up for today, I already feel enough stupid:boohoo: this horse turned out to be a lemon!

Mathman I read the essay you post, I miss something, but I want to see it again home, I havent done so theoritical analysis myself, most of the times i use theory to apply it in computer science, and mostly the differential sequences.

I have only tried it twice - late last night. It made my brain feel like an egg in a frying pan so I stopped. :)
I am still trying to figure out why the Egyptians built the pyramids? It was before cop - so what other reasons did they have? Maybe they thought it would scare away Alexander - or maybe they were hiding the fact that inside the pyramids were the world's first discos :)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
or maybe they were hiding the fact that inside the pyramids were the world's first discos :)

lol :laugh: playing music by janet jackson and bro?
Edit: oh i m pretty dizzy, i just saw the post, thanx mm for tip, I dont think i would have thought it on my own :)

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
lol :laugh: playing music by janet jackson and bro?

And also music by the Bangles "Walk Like an Egyptian"

"If you're lookin' for all the CoP's their hangin' out in the donut shops....

Maybe you are toooo young to remember that song - I always loved that funny lyric about American Cops - and it is so true.

Did you ever see Steve Martin's SNL take on "King Tut" - hilarious.

I did find a great diagram of the Parthenon showing the Golden ratio last night. If I can find it again I will post the link. It shows how the Greeks also invented time travel, went to the future and fell in love with McDonalds hamburgers. They were so inspired by the "Golden Arches" that this led them to discovering the Golden Ratio. So the mighty Parthenon, most imitated architecture in history owes much to late 20th century Americans love of fast food. :biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker

seniorita

Record Breaker
is all squares supposed to be covered or one is left open at the end?I did it with the tip thing twice, once you begin cautiously you get the point as it goes on without calculating moves but I ended up with one square, maybe it is because i get tired at the end and dont pay attention well.
anyway my boss wants to thank you for the productive chess hours the whole office has spent since yesterday:laugh:I didnt give them the tip :biggrin:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
i saw it now on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7AJiQM2RI, i was not alive back then, was steve martin also a singer? he had a show, or what?It is fun!
are you on drugs?:unsure:
I kid, that was funny :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Steve Martin began as a comedy writer and and also as a stand up comedian.
He has been the guest host of SNL more than any other. He has also starred in many movies (The Jerk, Roxanne, Father of the Bride and Shop Girl. He is also an author and he wrote "Shop Girl" and several other books. He also plays the banjo and loves music, especially "bluegrass" which is mountain music from Appalchian region of USA.