new article about Yuna and her mom | Page 3 | Golden Skate

new article about Yuna and her mom

bellarina

Spectator
As a Korean and Yu-Na fan (but bigger Mao fan- gasp! Heh), I just wanted to add my 2 cents. When I was younger, my Korean friends and I would complain about our "typical Korean parents". We were pushed to excel in academics. If I brought home a B, screaming would ensue. I remember thinking that for my mom, it was never encouragement, per se- if I got a bad grade, it was absolutely never, "it's okay- you can do better next time". It was disappointment and anger instead, and that frustrated me for a long time. It was only when I got older that I realized that, if not for my mom, I would never be where I was now. I would never have gotten in an Ivy League college if not for the way she raised me and stressed the importance of academics. I'm a lazy sort, and sometimes (well, most of the time, really), just working for myself is not enough. If I know that someone will be disappointed and angry if I don't do well, I step it up. And now, I've realized, I do it for myself, but wouldn't have learned to do that if not for my mom. That's not to say that other parenting styles are ineffective, of course, just that for me personally, it brought out the best in me. And, as I realized later, it was all for my well-being, so that I could be happy in the future.

I do agree that these kinds of moms are not just Asian, and that they come from all different cultures. But there's something I learned this past year that distinguishes Asian parents. There are different kinds of parenting, one of them called authoritarian, in which the parent is dominating, demands obedience from the child, and creates highly structured rules. In Western cultures, this kind of parenting has negative effects on the child- he or she is withdrawn, lacks intellectual curiosity, and is socially incompetent. But a study actually found that Asian parents, while they score high on the authoritarian scale in Western tests, actually have a different kind of authoritarian parenting- it has more of a focus on TRAINING, which is very different. This kind of parenting actually has no negative effects on the child whatsoever. So I do think there are cultural differences here that the article doesn't touch on that would make these moms seem less...obsessive and controlling and more like instilling a sense of training and discipline. And that's not to say that only training and discipline are instilled, either- in addition to that, my parents made sure that my brother and I were taught about morality, about happiness, about love, about kindness and compassion and selflessness, and about laughter. It's just about bringing the best out of your child that you can. With that said, am I going to be the same way with my children? Heck no. But it worked for me, and I understand why now.

Sorry I wrote a novel- this topic is just something I've been thinking about my entire life. In terms of Yu-Na, I do believe she would have quit a long time ago if not for her mom. I don't know her, so I don't know what would make her happy in the end, but from what I've seen, she seems like a fighter. And having been so talented, and so close to being the top of the world in skating, I think she'd always have regretted not continuing had she stopped. I'm not defending her mom, especially if she really did skip her other daughter's graduation. I'm just saying that I understand it. Also, maybe I'm just being naive, but I really want to believe this quote I read somewhere that said that Yu-Na's mom always felt badly for Mao and her mom when Yu-Na won. She felt almost embarrassed that Yu-Na was taking away something that Mao wanted. Is that true full-fledged stage mom behavior? Can we even use those terms in her case? I'm just not sure we can judge Yu-Na's mom based on the limited information we have about her. But maybe I'm completely wrong. Maybe her mom really is that bad, and Yu-Na is miserable. But there's something about her freedom and expression across the ice that makes me doubt that she hates skating so much. But I'm not going to pretend I know her or her mom. I just hope she enjoys the next year as much as she can- isn't she quitting no matter what after the Olympics?

Last edited:

shallwedansu

On the Ice
I
You state clearly what is right and what is wrong. But that is only your opinion and it is subjective and open for debate. Some may tend to view this article differently than you do. I don't know how you or anyone else can be so sure about this topic. I never claimed to be right and stated several times I was offering thoughts and opinions. I even said I might be wrong.
You on the other hand seem to be trying to force people into believing only your opinion is right and any other thoughts are wrong.
I think you make some very good points but I don't believe everything you say about this is necessarily true. And even if what you say is true, other people do have a right to their own feelings about what they read.
Accepting your thoughts as the only possible interpretation of the article feels very "bottish" to me.
All right fine. After reading the NYT article and then reading the additional comments from those who have read the book and give further explanation on comments in the article, what are your thoughts about Yu-Na's mom?

Is it dedication or obsession? Is she really a stage mom, who is trying to vicariously live through her daughter's life? Did she in fact ignore her other daughter's life, to the extent the article tries to paint?

I'm really curious, how would everyone else act in this situation? You have a limited amount of money, you also have limited resources because ice rinks and coaches aren't that available, but you have a young daughter who has the potential to be someone great in a sport that is almost non-existant in your country. And it's not you, yourself, who wants your daughter to become a great figure skater, but it's what other people are telling you she can become. (I got this from Jasmine@FSU: Doug Leigh saw Yuna when she was very young, he said that Yuna would be the first world champion from Korea.) The coaches and higher up people who know the sport are telling you she's amazing for her age and she needs to further develop her talent with better resources. What would you do?

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Ballerina. :agree:

Yes, thankyou bellerina. I enjoyed your post. It was informative, thoughtful and reflective in a way that I think many members here can understand and relate to.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Isn't this subjective to some extent? From the Korean reporter who wrote the article - to the reactions of various people who have read it.

You state clearly what is right and what is wrong. But that is only your opinion and it is subjective and open for debate. Some may tend to view this article differently than you do. I don't know how you or anyone else can be so sure about this topic. I never claimed to be right and stated several times I was offering thoughts and opinions. I even said I might be wrong.
You on the other hand seem to be trying to force people into believing only your opinion is right and any other thoughts are wrong.
I think you make some very good points but I don't believe everything you say about this is necessarily true. And even if what you say is true, other people do have a right to their own feelings about what they read.
Accepting your thoughts as the only possible interpretation of the article feels very "bottish" to me.

Good post, janetfan! :agree:

I think people are over-reacting, I thought it was a fairly balanced article about the sacrifices and the pressure parents with high-achieving children go through. It could've probably been written about demanding American mothers. Or demanding Chinese mothers. It just so happens that the top skater in the world right now is Yu-Na, whose mother has written a memoir detailing her experience...which this article discusses.

janetfan

Match Penalty
All right fine. After reading the NYT article and then reading the additional comments from those who have read the book and give further explanation on comments in the article, what are your thoughts about Yu-Na's mom?

I would have let her play with her friends more often - but that's just me. :) As a child who was brought up chained to a piano I will never forget how I felt being forced to practice scales until my fingers and wrists went numb.To this day I sometimes still hear the laughter of the other children in my neighborhood who were playing (to add insult to injury - my parent's house had a very large backyard where my brother and the neighborhood kids used to play all types of sports and games. I could hear them while I was inside practicing).

I think you raise some good points with this post and I think I can reserve judgement until I can read more from the book. I think a recurring comment from the article has been about the mother skipping one daughter's graduation to see Yuna skating in some competition. I mention that because even though I didn't mention it specifically several other posters did. That type of behavior seems culturally very different from the way we are raised in the west.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I would have let her play with her friends more often - but that's just me. :)
I agree. Maybe yuna now that she is a world champion etc thinks that her hard childhood payed off, but imagine all the athletes that have some sort of involvement in sports, reach the age of 17 in a carrier that goes nowhere, stop the thing they are doing, and finding out that they havent met anything else as children and they dont know what else to do.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree. Maybe yuna now that she is a world champion etc thinks that her hard childhood payed off, but imagine all the athletes that have some sort of involvement in sports, reach the age of 17 in a carrier that goes nowhere, stop the thing they are doing, and finding out that they havent met anything else as children and they dont know what else to do.

Yes I agree seniorita. It is one thing to consider only the case of Yuna and her mother. I think that like you, some of us think of this from a broader pov. What about all the kids who are forced to give up their childhoods in pursuit of a dream fueled and driven in part by a parent(s). Yuna has stated she hated skating and wanted to quit many times. We should consider where those comments came from - and what they mean. And then with the knowledge that most athletes never make it to the big time we can consider how such dictatorial parental behavior can effect a child. And their sibblings as well.

bekalc

Record Breaker
But the thing is there is a difference between a skating mother who puts her kids in lessons at five years old and is convinced that her kid is the next future skating star and puts all kinds of money into and pushes! pushes! pushes!

And a parent being told by coaches and experts that their kid is extremely talented, so please give them lessons. Apparently, some coaches approached Yu-na's mother, while they were watching Yu-na just skate for fun. Over at FSU, apparently it was said that one of Yu-na's coaches offered to put his own money in her training fund.

And it doesn't sound like when she was really young, Yu-na hated skating. It sounds like it became difficult when she was around 12. And of course it was difficult then, by that time Yu-na was already Senior National champion, and was probably bored out of her mind because she was beating everyone in sight. Not to mention, I'm sure the pressure and expectations, harsh training time.

I do know that her mother even considered letting Yu-na quit. It's easy to sit there and judge the parent for not letting her kid quit immediately, but seeing how happy Yu-na is now, I don't think Yu-na's mom made the wrong decision.

It's so difficult to know what to do, but I think unless you've been in someone's shoes.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I can only imagine what would happen if she didn't win the Olympic Gold!!

Perish the thought! :laugh:
Actually I am a big Yuna fan and think she has a great shot at winning OGM. But Mao is not gonna give it to her without a fight and Caro has the abilty along with Miki and Joannie to pull an upset. Who knows what will happen?

shallwedansu

On the Ice
What exactly would happen? Will Yu-Na's mom beat her? Because someone on FSU accused Yu-Na's mom of beating Yu-Na when she was younger! :scowl:

See, this is exactly what I feared would happen. People will read a slanted article and develop the mentality that Yu-Na's mom is some kind of crazy, stage mom. This is what happens when all the facts aren't presented and both sides of the story aren't explained.

After reading further explanations, Yu-Na's mom doesn't seem as bad as how the article makes her out to be. Honestly, I don't think I would have acted otherwise had I been in her shoes. Again, what would you have done if you were in her situation?

After reading Yu-Na's letter to her fans, I don't think it will be the end of the world if Yu-Na doesn't win gold in 2010. I also don't think her mom would ever feel anything less than proud of her daughter if she doesn't win. Let's not make her into the uncaring, monster she's not.

skatingbc

Final Flight
I think there is a fine line between what is ok and not ok when pushing your child. I really wasn't pushed athletically at all. I am a first-born and refer to myself as the "Trial Run". My younger sisters are pushed much harder in sport than I was. When I started sport, my sisters started as well, so they have a natural athleticism now that I can only dream about. My sisters moan to me every time my dad wants them to practice volleyball in the backyard, or go to the gym. I know all that hard work has paid off though, as one sister was scouted and will be joining her university's team in the fall. My littlest sister has a lot to live up to and is the hardest worker I know! My mum pushes her at the rink and can be hard on her at times, but only because my mum knows what my sister is capable of. My mum knows when she is slacking off and when she is working her hiney off. Without that little push, my sisters wouldn't be provincial team members, or the youngest skaters in their divisions in the province. I know while they may moan sometimes, they are extremely happy.

Also, my dad didn't come to my high school graduation! I only remembered while reading this thread. Clearly it has had a huge impact on my life.

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
You know, it's really funny because I could appreciate the dedication of Yu-Na's mom when I read her book first-hand in Korean but reading this article which apparently quoted some from the book, I get the opposite feeling and I wouldn't blame those who feel that this is 'obsession' from a mom more than dedication. Maybe it has to do with the tone...or the language...I dunno.

I lived almost my whole life in Korea and I must say the article is biased. Hell yeah Korean parents are crazy about the way they raise their child but seeing some posters easily concluded from the article that Yu-Na's mom living vicariously through her daughter's life and Yu-Na assumably being in trouble if she does poorly in competitions, the article sure guided its readers the wrong way.

I'm a bit sad that Yu-Na's mother is being portrayed this way and that's why I think the article is biased. When I read her book, her columns, her writings....even in her painting of her daughter, I can only sense the dedication which is so noble and divine that I confess I thought what it would have been if my mother was a wee bit like Yu-Na's mom(sorry mom!!) and that is only in a good way. But who knows, maybe I'm just a bot like it seems on this board.

evangeline

Record Breaker

If Yu-Na doesn't win Olympic gold, I'm sure she (and her mother) would be disappointed, like every other favourite who has failed to win the title. But life will go on, Yu-Na will still be famous and revered. After all, she is a World Champion, an honour that 99.99% of people who take up skating will never achieve. She and her mother have every reason to be proud of what she's achieved, Olympic gold or not.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Were do you get that idea. Given by Yu-na's own editorial she seems to have a good perspective on things. She's a world champion and has already accomplished a lot. I'm sure her parents are proud no matter what.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Belle's comments made me think of things from a different perspective. Here is something to watch and consider. It is not about Yuna but a different skater and an Olympic champion. The story is compelling and one of struggle. What is pertinent comes at the end of the clip. It is a word about the parents. It is very humble and right from the heart. After seeing it I can hope that Yuna - win or lose - in Vancouver may feel the same way. And that would be a good thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmT5...1B8F5620&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=32

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
wow plushy spreads in other threads :) This video says 0.1% of what he has been through but it doesnt matter, it's nice video and cute, although it is made to built movie drama.
Imagine Yuna's parents listening that the quest of the medal is for them. That would pay off anything.
Thats why i like to respect all skaters, even the ones i dont like, you never know what they ve been through.

passion

On the Ice
The description of Yu Na's mom is exactly like Mama Leung. It's disturbing to hear that other moms are immulating their obsession with their daughter's success. Despite good intentions, if moms become too involved in the instruction of skating to their daughters they may be damaging their technique or undoing the good the professional coach is doing...amongst a zillion other things.

Last edited: