Fan support at ice shows - how much is too much? | Golden Skate

Fan support at ice shows - how much is too much?

jjane45

On the Ice
Hi all, I hope this is the correct board to post :)

Two of my FAVORITE skaters will participate in a charity ice show. Cannot go to GP events nor Nationals, so this show is really my best chance showing support in person. :)

How are fan banners perceived in ice shows, particularly in the US? With 4 on ice seats, I am thinking of getting 6'-8' banners. I heard that at ice shows differ from competitions in terms of showing fan support, and don't want to embarrass my favorite skaters and friends by doing something too fancy or too crazy. :laugh:

Your opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated!! :love:

Particle Man

Match Penalty
Generally the lights are dimmed most of the time at ice shows. That's the main reason I can see to not bring one... I'm not sure anyone would mind as long as you weren't blocking people's view.

Julie O

Rinkside
Have you checked to see if there is a meet and greet session along with the show? Sometimes it isn't that hard to actually find yourself talking to the skaters after the performance. Then you could let them know in person that you are a fan. Being polite and respectful of their time and privacy is the only guideline if the skaters are making themselves available to fans at the show.

Julie

Wicked

Final Flight
Hi all, I hope this is the correct board to post :)

Two of my FAVORITE skaters will participate in a charity ice show. Cannot go to GP events nor Nationals, so this show is really my best chance showing support in person. :)

How are fan banners perceived in ice shows, particularly in the US? With 4 on ice seats, I am thinking of getting 6'-8' banners. I heard that at ice shows differ from competitions in terms of showing fan support, and don't want to embarrass my favorite skaters and friends by doing something too fancy or too crazy. :laugh:

Your opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated!! :love:

I know there is a banner that has followed Stéphane Lambiel to some of his ice shows since his retirement. The people who bring the banner have contacted the venue prior to bringing it and asked about hanging it. Stéphane has not done any shows in the US since retiring, so I don't know if it would be different bringing a banner to a US ice show as opposed to shows in Europe and Asia.

The atmosphere at shows is egalitarian and familial, not competitive, so keep that in mind. Personally, I'd say skip the big banner and hold up a small sign instead. At such an event, you don't want to make other skaters feel bad that they don't have fans, especially if they're donating their time for charity.

At a show I've showed my support by sending cards backstage as well as by yelling Bravo/a at the top of my lungs. (It's a little embarrassing to recall.)

If you do bring it, make sure you don't block anyone's view.

Now for a competition, when you get to one, bring the banner and psych out the other skaters. :biggrin:

JMO.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
cheering super loud is better than signs I think in an exhibition situation.

jjane45

On the Ice
Cheering loud is granted, we might as well bring the roof down ;)
Thank you everyone for your kind and considerate advices, will definitely check with the arena about conditions and opportunities!!!!! :biggrin:

Personally, I don't see any harm in a gigantic banner for your faves. The more crowd enthusiasm the better, visual and otherwise.

I don't think other sklaters' feelings will be hurt. If you think they might, make a couple of extra signs for some of the less famous ones, too. :)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I would check with the venue where the event is being held. They may not allow such large banners. You would not want to restrict the view of others.

icedancingnut31

On the Ice
Personally I wouldn't bring one because they won't see it anyway. So I would just cheer but not too loud because sometimes people get annoyed when others cheer too loud. My best bet would be asking for meet and greets.

By the way this is my question too. How do you get meet and greets?? I went to COI and a lady gave them to me because her little kid was almost asleep but when SOI was here I called the arena and they said the only way to get them is to have connections, which I don't. Is this true?

merrybari

Final Flight
By the way this is my question too. How do you get meet and greets?? I went to COI and a lady gave them to me because her little kid was almost asleep but when SOI was here I called the arena and they said the only way to get them is to have connections, which I don't. Is this true?

I've often wondered about this too. I've come to the conclusion, from observation, that there isn't any set way to get them but rather it varies from one stop to the next - even on the same tour. Personally, I lean toward plain dumb luck - like a youngster falling asleep. :)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I will be going to a charity show in a couple of weeks. Brittney Rizo and Caroline Zhang will participate. I bought a more expensive ticket, which gets me into the meet and greet. :biggrin:

merrybari

Final Flight
I will be going to a charity show in a couple of weeks. Brittney Rizo and Caroline Zhang will participate. I bought a more expensive ticket, which gets me into the meet and greet. :biggrin:

Glad that worked for you. :agree: The last time I looked into a more $$ seat - no perks. What gives? :scratch: Still say it depends on the event and the venue. Different strokes for different folks.

jjane45

On the Ice
Heard from the arena...

1.) The lights will be dimmed through the "entire" show…it is scheduled to be filmed for television.

2.) Meet and greets will occur only through the private skate clubs and direct sponsorships with the show.

Well, thank you everyone for your kind advices. Guess I will bring smaller signs and ask around about backstage stuff :cool:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I don't have any banners (except for my "Todd" pennant :love:), but I do bring flags of the countries of the respective skaters to the shows and competitions. In addition to my US flag, I waved my little Japanese flag for Takeshi, Fumie, and Shizuka at 2003 Worlds, and took to it Skate America 2005 and 2007 to wave it for all the Japanese competitors. I take it to every SOI show to cheer on Yuka. I bring my Canadian flag to all the SOI shows to cheer on Jen, Jeff, Jamie and David, Marie France and Patrice, Kurt, etc. A few years back, I waved it at a COI show when Elvis skated. He saw it, smiled and waved right back. I have a Chinese flag for Shen & Zhao. When the skaters see the flags, we usually get big smiles from them, and sometimes they blow us kisses, so I do think they appreciate seeing their respective flags and the fan support.

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Heard from the arena...

1.) The lights will be dimmed through the "entire" show…it is scheduled to be filmed for television.

2.) Meet and greets will occur only through the private skate clubs and direct sponsorships with the show.

Well, thank you everyone for your kind advices. Guess I will bring smaller signs and ask around about backstage stuff :cool:

Which show is this?

merrybari

Final Flight
Heard from the arena...

Not too likely anything would show up in a "dim" arena - but in any case, small is much easier to manage.

Well, now we know how the M & Gs are done - at least for this one. I do think each one is different, depending on the venue and the event.

It is nice to know how others have handled this. I've not seen much, if any, fan support for individual skaters at the shows I've been to. Competitions are a totally different story though. :)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I've not seen much, if any, fan support for individual skaters at the shows I've been to. Competitions are a totally different story though. :)

I wondered about that. It's not a competition, so you favorite skater is not going to "win". I guess if you brought a banner, you should not display it when other skaters are on the ice.