Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 53

Thread: Two new articles on Kwan possible comeback

  1. #16
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,592
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Yikes. Her injuries were worse than I realized.

  2. #17
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Yikes. Her injuries were worse than I realized.

    Poetic license: The liberty taken by a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect.

    In this case the "desired effect" was not humor - but glad to brighten your day.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-13-2009 at 04:53 PM.

  3. #18
    The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Poetic license: The liberty taken by a writer in deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect.

    In this case the "desired effect" was not humor - but glad to brighten your day.
    Believe me the intent of their laughter was not humorous nor out of respect for the writer or of Kwan.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    510
    Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    Believe me the intent of their laughter was not humorous nor out of respect for the writer or of Kwan.
    I think Kwan's the bee's knees; I just thought Spun Silver's remark was terribly funny.

    But it's wonderful to know you're telepathic.

  5. #20
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    Believe me the intent of their laughter was not humorous nor out of respect for the writer or of Kwan.
    Thanks - but that's OK. I think it was funny too looking at what I wrote from a very literal sense. On the other hand - Michelle, like other skaters went out many nights and skated with injuries or got an injury during a skate. So while I was trying to say something a little differently, I know they are aware of this and most likely they knew what I meant. Hey, after exchanging posts with fans of another skater the last two days these folks are nice and fun. We can't get so touchy that we lose the abilty to laugh at ourselves.
    Last edited by janetfan; 06-13-2009 at 08:58 PM.

  6. #21
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Thanks - but that's OK. I think it was funny too looking at what I wrote from a very literal sense. On the other hand - Michelle, like other skaters went out many nights and skated with injuries or got and injury during a skate. So while I was trying to say something a little differently, I know they are aware of this and most likely they knew what I meant. Hey, after exchanging posts with fans of another skater the last two days these folks are nice and fun. We can't get so touchy that we lose the abilty to laugh at ourselves.
    Right. Thanks for not taking offense!

  7. #22
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Right. Thanks for not taking offense!
    You are welcome and I really did laugh at your reply. I also liked what I wrote about Michelle (which is making me laugh again at my vanity )

  8. #23
    Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    850

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    For a decade Michelle was the face of US figure skating. She represented the sport and her country with dignity and class.
    Hemingway used to write about "grace under pressure" and Michelle personifies that for me like no other skater. She has left pieces of her body and soul in skating arenas all over the world. If she wants to return to competitive skating and I had any say in the matter I would vote to let her come straight to Nationals without any qualifiers. I know there are rules and they are necessary to help govern the sport. But there is only one Michelle - and we may not see the likes of her again. The rules are for the others. Michelle has earned a special place in US and World figure skating history. What is wrong with showing appreciation and honoring one who has given so much to her sport and provided us with memories that will last a lifetime.
    "The rules are for the others."

    Didn't Marie Antoinette say something along those lines right before they cut off her head?

  9. #24
    The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    437
    I obviously misunderstood, boy did I ever! My sincere apologies!

  10. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    452
    Marie Antoinette didn't win 30 gold medals.

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    If she wants to return to competitive skating and I had any say in the matter I would vote to let her come straight to Nationals without any qualifiers.

    The rules are for the others. Michelle has earned a special place in US and World figure skating history. What is wrong with showing appreciation and honoring one who has given so much to her sport and provided us with memories that will last a lifetime.
    What is so wrong? Good question. Michelle's entry onto the Olympic team back in '06 was wonderful news to some, but left a bad taste for others. As much as I would like to see Michelle return, I would like her return to be clean. I don't want to see a return that leaves a bad taste or a bad smell. How much did we complain when Sasha got 2 Grand Prix events? I know, giving Michelle a free ride to Nats doesn't rob anyone else, but the principle is the same.

  12. #27
    Keeper of Bab's Death Stare... nubka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
    Marie Antoinette didn't win 30 gold medals.

    It doesn't matter...

  13. #28
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    What is so wrong? Good question. Michelle's entry onto the Olympic team back in '06 was wonderful news to some, but left a bad taste for others. As much as I would like to see Michelle return, I would like her return to be clean. I don't want to see a return that leaves a bad taste or a bad smell. How much did we complain when Sasha got 2 Grand Prix events? I know, giving Michelle a free ride to Nats doesn't rob anyone else, but the principle is the same.
    I more or less agree with you despite the sentimental feelings I expressed for Michelle. She is very aware of the rules and I am sure she will abide by them. Not every decision can please everybody and I can't imagine in a thousand years any skating federation turning down Michelle's request back in '06. Besides, her bye was allowed under the rules - and with all due respect why not bump a 16 year who has never won a significant event - (and still hasn't) for a five- time World Champion. Bad taste for a few fans - is much preferred over a close to suicidal decision from US Skating. I hope they got over the bad taste - it has been three years now.

  14. #29
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,669
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    What is so wrong? Good question. Michelle's entry onto the Olympic team back in '06 was wonderful news to some, but left a bad taste for others. As much as I would like to see Michelle return, I would like her return to be clean.
    In 2006, at least it was within the rules and supported by precedent to allow consideration of medical byes.

    Plus, at the time of nationals Michelle was the reigning U.S. champion and it was not outrageous to hope that she would be able to get well and give a good accounting of herself at the Olympics.

    This time around it is completely different. To simply toss the rules because we've got Kwan-dust in our eyes -- it hardly seems necessary to ask why that is wrong. 30 gold metals? Michelle's reward for winning all those medals was winning all those medals.

    That having been said, if Michelle really does decide to come back, there are plenty of ways that she can do so within the rules.

  15. #30
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    "The rules are for the others."

    Didn't Marie Antoinette say something along those lines right before they cut off her head?
    Yes, right after she finished her last meal - which I believe was a piece of cake...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •