Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Two new articles on Kwan possible comeback

mathman, I appreciate your post. I remember seeing on "60 minutes" the fate of a group of E. German female swimmers - almost all dead or bedridden before age 40 from excessive steroid use given to them by their National team coaches and doctors. A sad story and the interview from one of the swimmers practically brought me to tears. She claimed most of the girls never knew they were being force fed massive doses of steroids/drugs and she thought they grew such big muscles from hard training and a special diet. This particular girl died a few months after the interview of a rare form of cancer. It was so suspicious watching these swimmers back in the 80's - and I always knew US girls would have beaten them easily in a fair contest. Atleast our girls are still healthy and alive today.
    But I am sure there are stories about excesses of Western sporting programs.

I was actually curious how this plays out in popular culture - of the West and East. Jimmie Kimmel's joke about Michelle's grade point average or the 'Harry and Sally" joke about his mother disguised as an E. German judge was more of what I had in mind. It is interesting to think that 20 years after the "cold war" a late night American comedian would crack a joke about the old cold war scoring battles and controversies that went on. Or to hear a joke about it in a Holllywood movie. That shows the cross cultural effect and I was curious if there are other examples anyone can think of - and most definitely to hear the views from members here that are from the East.
    I did not mean for this to be the same old argument - but a more lighthearted look into how much of this was absorbed into the popular culture of society both East and West. Maybe I think of strange topics.....

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2 View Post
    Particle Man, you are most definitely the voice of reason on this board.

As much as I would love to see her, and I would, I don't want this to be a not so wonderful foot note to a splendid career. She needs to be able to do herself and her reputation justice. Otherwise, Tufts is a good alternative.
    Kyla,
    I just want to see Michelle compete again... her reputation and record are so far & away superior to most, that I don't see this as a negative in any regard. Do I expect her to win the Olympics? No. But does she have a shot at a 10th National title? Based on what I saw last year, yes. Tufts will be there. That title might not be...

C'mon Michelle - come on back and give this generation a run for their money!
    Not to mention, Kwan on ice is the equalivent of a skating stimulus package...

http://figureskating.teamusa.org/athlete - Michelle is listed as one of the USFS athletes.

OMG Id be over the moon
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-22-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: do not quote other boards

Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    C'mon Michelle - come on back and give this generation a run for their money!
    Not to mention, Kwan on ice is the equalivent of a skating stimulus package...
    So, totally true IMO. I think a lot of people would pay to see her at Nationals again.

I, for one, would love to see what she would do with a COP friendly program - by all reports from 2006, she was performing a COP friendly program.

Anyway, I think she deserves at least the opportunity for another Nationals just to allow her to finish they way she wants to and for the fans to get a 'last' look. I'm pretty sure that this is 'it' for her and that there won't be a possibility of her competing after 2010 at the Oly level or even any level (considering the state of pro skating right now.)

Even if she decides not to compete, I would love it if the USFSA invited her to do a special performance at the post competition gala.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachuusb View Post
    http://figureskating.teamusa.org/athlete - Michelle is listed as one of the USFS athletes.

OMG Id be over the moon

So her listing at USFS is a recent addition???

Custom Title
    I just want to see her long program choreographed by Tarasova.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruin714 View Post
    I just want to see her long program choreographed by Tarasova.
    me too!! Even if just for an exhibition

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikachuusb View Post
    And several U.S. ladies who already have Grand Prix spots are not listed (not to mention they also misspell Rachael Flatt's name). So what does that tell you? USFSA.org has the official A, B and C teams listed here: http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=209
    Last edited by vlaurend; 06-23-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4