Two new articles on Kwan possible comeback | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Two new articles on Kwan possible comeback

Thanks - but that's OK. I think it was funny too looking at what I wrote from a very literal sense. On the other hand - Michelle, like other skaters went out many nights and skated with injuries or got and injury during a skate. So while I was trying to say something a little differently, I know they are aware of this and most likely they knew what I meant. Hey, after exchanging posts with fans of another skater the last two days these folks are nice and fun. We can't get so touchy that we lose the abilty to laugh at ourselves.
Right. Thanks for not taking offense!

nubka

Final Flight
For a decade Michelle was the face of US figure skating. She represented the sport and her country with dignity and class.
Hemingway used to write about "grace under pressure" and Michelle personifies that for me like no other skater. She has left pieces of her body and soul in skating arenas all over the world. If she wants to return to competitive skating and I had any say in the matter I would vote to let her come straight to Nationals without any qualifiers. I know there are rules and they are necessary to help govern the sport. But there is only one Michelle - and we may not see the likes of her again. The rules are for the others. Michelle has earned a special place in US and World figure skating history. What is wrong with showing appreciation and honoring one who has given so much to her sport and provided us with memories that will last a lifetime.

:bow::bow:"The rules are for the others." :bow::bow:

Didn't Marie Antoinette say something along those lines right before they cut off her head? :biggrin:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
If she wants to return to competitive skating and I had any say in the matter I would vote to let her come straight to Nationals without any qualifiers.

The rules are for the others. Michelle has earned a special place in US and World figure skating history. What is wrong with showing appreciation and honoring one who has given so much to her sport and provided us with memories that will last a lifetime.

What is so wrong? Good question. Michelle's entry onto the Olympic team back in '06 was wonderful news to some, but left a bad taste for others. As much as I would like to see Michelle return, I would like her return to be clean. I don't want to see a return that leaves a bad taste or a bad smell. How much did we complain when Sasha got 2 Grand Prix events? I know, giving Michelle a free ride to Nats doesn't rob anyone else, but the principle is the same.

janetfan

Match Penalty
What is so wrong? Good question. Michelle's entry onto the Olympic team back in '06 was wonderful news to some, but left a bad taste for others. As much as I would like to see Michelle return, I would like her return to be clean. I don't want to see a return that leaves a bad taste or a bad smell. How much did we complain when Sasha got 2 Grand Prix events? I know, giving Michelle a free ride to Nats doesn't rob anyone else, but the principle is the same.

I more or less agree with you despite the sentimental feelings I expressed for Michelle. She is very aware of the rules and I am sure she will abide by them. Not every decision can please everybody and I can't imagine in a thousand years any skating federation turning down Michelle's request back in '06. Besides, her bye was allowed under the rules - and with all due respect why not bump a 16 year who has never won a significant event - (and still hasn't) for a five- time World Champion. Bad taste for a few fans - is much preferred over a close to suicidal decision from US Skating. I hope they got over the bad taste - it has been three years now.

What is so wrong? Good question. Michelle's entry onto the Olympic team back in '06 was wonderful news to some, but left a bad taste for others. As much as I would like to see Michelle return, I would like her return to be clean.

In 2006, at least it was within the rules and supported by precedent to allow consideration of medical byes.

Plus, at the time of nationals Michelle was the reigning U.S. champion and it was not outrageous to hope that she would be able to get well and give a good accounting of herself at the Olympics.

This time around it is completely different. To simply toss the rules because we've got Kwan-dust in our eyes -- it hardly seems necessary to ask why that is wrong. 30 gold metals? Michelle's reward for winning all those medals was winning all those medals.

That having been said, if Michelle really does decide to come back, there are plenty of ways that she can do so within the rules.

janetfan

Match Penalty
:bow::bow:"The rules are for the others." :bow::bow:

Didn't Marie Antoinette say something along those lines right before they cut off her head? :biggrin:

Yes, right after she finished her last meal - which I believe was a piece of cake...;)

fairly4

Medalist
first of all her free ride to nationals isn't, she has to qualify.
2nd if you read at the bottom of the Baltimore Sun Page,
Michelle told the USFSA NOT to Leave Open a GPE assignment like skate america for her.
like me and a lot of people were thinking.
since sasha been out 3 years , it would do her good to go to qualifying to help her get back in tune with the national atmosphere. even though it is automatic,
with it being an olympic year and two spots (a pressure cooker) unlike 2006.

nubka

Final Flight
Keep telling yourself that, it seems to make you happy.

Lots of things make me happy! Especially snagging the front parking space in a crowded parking lot - it just makes my whole day (having the correct change at the cash register is right up there, too!:)) It doesn't take much to please me...:p

Last edited:
2nd if you read at the bottom of the Baltimore Sun Page,
Michelle told the USFSA NOT to Leave Open a GPE assignment like skate america for her.

I think it says that Michelle did not ask USFS for an invitation, as Sasha did. I don't think Michelle told them not to leave a spot open. (If she did tell them that, they did not do what she told them, because the spot is still open.) :)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I'm sure USFS plans to fill this TBA with one of their ladies. If not with Kwan, Alexe Gilles, Becky Bereswill and Bebe Liang all currently have one GP each.

kyla2

Final Flight
Particle Man

Particle Man, you are most definitely the voice of reason on this board.

As much as I would love to see her, and I would, I don't want this to be a not so wonderful foot note to a splendid career. She needs to be able to do herself and her reputation justice. Otherwise, Tufts is a good alternative.