Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Olympic Champ Most Likely to Be Least Remembered by 2022

Berthes, even though I don't like your tone, it's nice to have one poster I can always recognize by the style. I started reading your post , and three lines down thought to myslef: "Hmmm, must be Berthes!". Looked... and indeed was right!

Fine, but where are the true Kwan admirers among European skating fans? So far I've never really met one! But wait - maybe it's just me and I'm scaring them to death? :D Sooo, p-l-e-a-s-e! - Kwan fans around Europe!, don't be afraid!, why don't you finally come out of your closets?
    Yeah, European Kwan fans, be brave. We won´t bite your heads off, don´t we, Germanice?
    Guten Abend, Damen und Herrn. Meine Name ist "DeutcheKwanLieb." I will switch over to English now, because not everyone on GS speaks my mothertongue fluently.

My computer is broken, so Mathman has kindly let me post under his login name. (I usually hang out at the MK Forum -- membership 5600, mostly Germans like me.)

I have just conducted a scientific poll of the European continent. You will be happy to learn that there are 862.3 million Michelle Kwan fans in Europe, with 62.8 million right here in Good Ol' Germany.

Danke und Auf Wiedersehn!

(signed) DKL, Berlin, 16/11/03

Custom Title

forgotten

For the men, I have to say Urmanov....I think his problem was that he was just too esoteric a lot of the time to be really embraced by a lot of fans.

In ladies, I have to say Hughes will be quickly forgotten, though it's close between her and Lipinski. Hughes wasn't around the figure skating world for all that long and was not a terribly distinctive skater to begin with (fans, don't jump on me, I just think she wasn't around long enough to distinguish herself from the pack stylistically). None of her programs really rank up there as special.

On the Ice
    Least remembered......Sarah Hughes....for a minute there I had to recall who won last Olympics.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    curious:

That was definitely a judging bias. Elvis should have won. The judges did not go for Elvis's short program and costume Don't blame the fans.

Originally posted by beebeeuk
    Least remembered......Sarah Hughes....for a minute there I had to recall who won last Olympics.
    Yeah, but the question was how many people would remember her in 2022.

Unless she comes back and wins some important competitions (Worlds among them), or has a successful professional career, I too think that she'll be among the least remembered Olympic champions.

IT'S QUIZ TIME.........

Without looking them up do you know which lady figure skater won the following Olympics"?

If you do then, I believe, those ladies will always be remembered.

Joe

On the Ice
    What about the Ladies OGM........1972?

Keeper of Michelle's Nose berthes ghost's Avatar
    Without looking them up .....

1920 Herma Plank Sorba

1952 Jeanette Altwegg

1964 Sroujki Drouxra

1980 Anett Poetsch

2002 Sarah Hughes

God, the spellings are all wrong, but the middle 3 definately were forgettable by all acounts.

Sarah was too recent to forget, get back to us in 20 years.

Herma was a big deal in her day.

Peggy was inspired by the 64 champ. She said in a fluff piece that she disliked her skating so much, it inspired her to get better and become the next champ.

Tripping on the Podium
    Originally posted by berthes ghost
    Peggy was inspired by the 64 champ. She said in a fluff piece that she disliked her skating so much, it inspired her to get better and become the next champ.
    If you're not making that up, then I give credit to Peggy Fleming for her cheekiness. That's more like somethind Dick Button would say :D

Berthes - You got them all except for 1920: Magda Julin Mauroy - Sweden (Herma Planck Szabo - Austria was 1924)/

Patsue - Good year to mentiion. I had to look it up. Here's the link for the quick references.

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/olfigsk.shtml

I think the remembering will be based on the activity of the skater after the Oly gold and how much publicity the skater will get. Sonia and Dick had the Newsreels; Peggy had the TV, and of course there is always the American glitz. Sarah will be mentioned for the next 4 years. But after that?

Tara is slipping by the wayside; Oksana pops up every once in awhile, and without Kat's TV show, well, she'll be joining the has beens in due course. Tonya and Nancy will always be remembered and they are not Oly gold

C'est la vie!

Joe

Originally posted by Joesitz
    IT'S QUIZ TIME.........

Without looking them up do you know which lady figure skater won the following Olympics"?

If you do then, I believe, those ladies will always be remembered.

Joe
    That's easy, Joe:

1920 - Sonja Henie
    1952 - Carol Heiss (Tenley Albright got silver)
    1964 - Peggy Fleming
    1980 - Katarina Witt (the first of her 4 Olympic gold medals)
    2002 - Michelle Kwan

Mathman - Ya know. I bet there are people that would believe that.:D

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3