Olympic Champ Most Likely to Be Least Remembered by 2022 | Golden Skate

Olympic Champ Most Likely to Be Least Remembered by 2022

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
The Voting Booth was in desparate need of a new poll! So, which of these following Olympic Champs would be most likely to be LEAST remembered by 2022?

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Ooops! I messed up! So, I guess I need an administrater. I meant to include the following Olympic Champions in a poll:

Alexei Urmanov
Oksana Baiul
Ilia Kulik
Tara Lipinski
Sarah Hughes

I'm going with Urmanov. Sure, he had a beautiful, classic style, but besides Lillehammer he never really left any other mark. He also never endeared himself to me in anyway. I just couldn't be roused by his skating. Baiul, Kulik, Lipinski and even Hughes (to a point) all had a string of strong international showings to back up their Gold Medals. Poor Alexei (even though he won Europeans) was never able to produce that Lillehammer magic either before or after. (And that magic did include a great deal of luck, with 2 Olympic Champs and the reigning World Champ performing dismally).

skatepixie

On the Ice
I dont even know who AU is so um yeah....

Id say Tara. Oksana is remembered as the girl who wrecked her own life, and sarah and illia have been kinda forgotten already.....

curious

Final Flight
North America never gave Urmanov the opportunity to endear himself to the audience. He was never forgiven for beating Elvis Stokjo:rolleye:

Ximena

Final Flight
Of those names, I will go with Sarah, depending wether she manages to come back or not.
skatepixie, you don't know Urmanov? he was soo good, he still is, you should really see him skate. I don't think Ilia is been forgotten.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Skatepixie,

Alexei Urmanov was the men's Olympic Champion at the 1994 Olympics. His win was quite a shock seeing that he beat two former Olympic Champs (Boitano - 88, Petrenko - 92) and the reigning World Champ (Browning). After Lillehammer, his career took somewhat of a dive and he failed to reach the podium at Worlds. Although, he was the leader going into the freeskate at the 1997 Worlds, but he had to withdraw due to an injury (which also kept him out of the 98 Olympics). So, it seems he might have been regaining his form by 1997, but that damn injury!

And I do agree that North America really never embraced him. I think that was in part due to him defeating the ever popular Elvis, but also because his style and dress were seen as too feminine by some. Either way, I thought he had a nice style, I just wasn't at all impressed with programs such as his "Swan Lake" from 1995. At any rate, its a shame he wasn't able to skate for the World title in Lausanne. It would have made that event incredibly interesting.

I will say Oksana.

Bronzeingolden, to create a poll, click on "new thread," fill in the subject line and write whatever you want to say. Then check the box down at the bottom that says "submit new poll," change the "number of responses" from its default of 4 to however many answers you want, then go "submit." A new screen will come up where you can put your choices.

Mathman

Germanice

On the Ice
curious said:
North America never gave Urmanov the opportunity to endear himself to the audience. He was never forgiven for beating Elvis Stokjo:rolleye:
Agree! Poor Alexei U.! I've to admit I was never a huge fan of him, but to me he was a way better, much more entertaining and versatile skater than Elvis S. or Todd E. Well, at least not worse! :D But in opposite to them they've treaten him like a dog in NA. This is one of the most sad stories in figure skating ...

Anke

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I think one of the reasons Urmanov wasn't as well known to the
public was Tom Collins. I think he had him a few times but was quoted as saying Americans weren't interested in foreign men. I disagree with him there. I really liked Urmanov. I would much rather see him skate than Elvis. Elvis is very good but I like Urmanov's style much better. Also, I know Collins had lots of other non-Americans, so I think it must have been more than that. You did know he is the father of twins?

lulu

Final Flight
Here is a link to Alexei Urmanov's homepage: http://home.snafu.de/figureskating/urmanov/

If you go to Photogallery: off ice: you can see some pics of his sons.

Alexei is coaching some lower level skaters in Russia right now, he also recently performed at Artur Dmitriev's show this weekend.

After Carol Heiss and before Peggy Flemming there was Sjorkye Dykester (netherlands). I hope I spelled that correctly.

Anyone remember her and if so what was your opinion"

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
If you include just North American winners, I'd say Sarah. Tara had a World Championship as did Oksana, and both toured for a number of years after their Oly wins (Oksana off and on, but her name is still out there.) On an international level, I would say Alexi U....................(although I realize that his name is very recognizable in Europe.....) 42

I'm not so sure a continent is supposed to give endearment to an Oly winner. I've never heard that Europe gave one to Urmanov, although I would assume he was greatly appreciated in Russia.

Although he won the Oly, all the potential winners had had a bad night, so it wasn't like he was the proverbial 'best in the world'. As for North America, his Louis XIV like costume wasn't a big hit with fans of Elvi, Todd, and Kurt. It did seem a bit foppish to me.

This was the firt time I saw him skate and I noticed the wonderful lines he brought to his skating movements. He has a great athletic/balletic body and I thought he would be a first class principal in the Kirov Ballet Company.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Joe, I was referring to "name recognition".........where as all of my non-skating friends know and recognize Tara and Sarah's names, I get the "Huh" comment when Alexi's name is thrown into the mix...............42

Oh, wait! I messed up. I thought the poll said who would be MOST remembered. I meant to say Oksana will be remembered the best and the most fondly. She has definitely left her mark on the sport.

Now, though, I have to disagree with everyone who is voting for Urmanov. Even if you don't like his style, he will be remembered as a representative of a certain artistic point of view. Also, he is continuing in the sport as a coach, and I think that he is becoming increasingly involved in the Russian Skating Federation and in organizing shows, etc. He was recently chosen as the "caller" in the first test of the CoP at Nebelhorn. So he has opportunities to expand his influence even after his competitive career is past.

Mathman

Show - I think it was that other posters were putting the blame on North America that Urmanov did not get the fame he should have. I think it's ok that fame is not universal. From what I hear from other posters, Michelle is not well known in Europe. Hard to believe but maybe they are correct.

Mathman - Yes, Urmanov is doing quite well in Russia and I and many others are happy with his continuation in figure skating.

Joe

Ruby Tuesday

Spectator
It's not like Michelle isn't "well known" among those few in Europe who actually like figure skating. She's a 5-time-World-Champion after all! She's just far away from having the same "meaning" she obviously has in the US. Most of the European skating freaks simply don't get what US-fans seem to see in her, that's all.

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Gotta be Urmanov. He's already mostly forgotten. His Olympic "gold" performance really lacked passion, fire, energy, stamina, and emotion until the last second or two. And his spins TOTALLY SUCKED!!! What is it with male Russian skaters and spins? Most of them are mediocre at best the last, well, ten years or so. Is that a trend that's always been around? Anyway, he did have beautiful flow and line, and I think he will be more like the "Jimmy Carter" of Oly gold medalists....being more remembered for what he does after that time than before or during. From what I read he is doing well as a skater still, and I am sure he is a good coach, as he always seemed like a nice man.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Well I think it depends on if you're talking about the general population, or if you are talking skating fans. As far as general population goes, I'd defintely say Urmanov. For skating fans....well I guess I'd say Urmanov too. LOL. I know I always forget about him.

He was never forgiven for beating Elvis Stokjo
I don't even like Elvis Stokjo:p

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
curious said:

actually this American considers him awesome because he beat Elvis!!! and his world pro win(s?) is nothing to shun either... even if he did beat the more seasoned pros ;)

but I have to say he's probably going to be the least remembered in the long run...