Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is flexibility so appreciated?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    In skating flexibility per se isn't essential, it's what skaters and choreographers do with it. A beautiful spiral timed to coincide with an emotional peak in the music seems to make time stop. It's a moment of beauty and peace in a program that's otherwise crammed with complex athletic feats. The appeal is almost universal (apart from a few critics on skating boards ). And it can't be easy to do on ice or we would see a lot more perfect positions.

If that's all the skater can do, she's not a real skater, just an acrobat. So IMO flexibility is not necessary, it's just a very big plus.

I guess I'm one of the few who dislikes that move where Shiz sticks up her leg and lets go. To me that's just a show-off trick that schoolgirls everywhere do in their bedrooms. OK, I grant it's harder on ice, but the position per se is ugly, to me. It compares unfavorably to the comparable movement in ballet, where the dancers slowly unfurl their leg with the music as a peak moment in a pas de deux. Whereas the arabesque spiral in skating is like the ballet move, plus it flies across ice.

But I bow to her Ina Bauer.

ETA: I kinda hate to say it, but these flexi-moves are really only for women. It must be biological - a revelation of the crotch area to display fertility and desirability. It can't be coincidental that in ballet they usually come in the pas de deux.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 06-15-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few who dislikes that move where Shiz sticks up her leg and lets go. To me that's just a show-off trick that schoolgirls everywhere do in their bedrooms.
    Schoolgirls everywhere can maintain their leg at an unsupported verticle 180 degree split? Where did you go to school?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Schoolgirls everywhere can maintain their leg at an unsupported verticle 180 degree split?Where did you go to school?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Andalusia View Post
    I think flexibility makes a skater stand out. If Rachael had exactly what she has now, but with Caroline's super-bendy moves thrown in, people probably wouldn't be complaining about how boring she is. I also think that flexibility is sometimes mistaken for artistry. When good to excellent flexibility is paired with musical expression and feeling (some of Caroline's exhibitions, Michelle's many programs) - that's what appeals to me most.

OTOH, good artistry coupled with flexibility sub-standard enough that it promotes an unfinished quality and poor line - that I find distracting (case in point: Yu-Na).
    Exactly. I don't think it's fair to harp on the less flexible skaters. It's one thing if they're forcing their bodies to contort into certain positions for difficulty and then, the criticism is rightly so. However, if they're doing positions that are good for their physical capability and it's beautiful to watch, why harp on the fact that they're not flexible. Also being flexible doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing. We have:

Flexible and pretty
    Flexible and run for the hills
    Nonflexible and pretty
    Nonflexible and run for the hills.

If the position isn't run for the hills, do we need to harp on it? If it is, alright then. For example, Irina's hydrant is what we'd all agree to be run for the hills. Sasha's hydrant is the ideal, IMHO, being the originator, she's the best at it.

I just don't agree with judging skaters' flexibility or lack of on one another. I think it's appreciated, when it appeared with the baby ballerinas, because it was a "WOW" thing. Gymnasts and dancers are more associated with that. Now, I think people appreciate flexibility because of the lines that are produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Schoolgirls everywhere can maintain their leg at an unsupported verticle 180 degree split? Where did you go to school?
    This is GIRL stuff. You guys aren't supposed to know.

But to answer your q: it's schoolgirls who want to be ballerinas, cheerleaders, gymnasts, and figure skaters - ie most girls (at least in my day).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestMoon View Post
    Flexible and pretty
    Flexible and run for the hills
    Nonflexible and pretty
    Nonflexible and run for the hills.
    What great categories. They should go into the judging manuals. :chorus:

Quote Originally Posted by silver.blades View Post
    skater with good flexibility and weak lines, Mira Leung comes to mind. She has excellent flexibility, but she doesn't hit many nice positions.
    Yuko! I find her adorable - but hello? Incredibly flexible but her line is just weak! It costs them many points for sure, e.g. they never get much GOE on the Throw Triple Loop despite landing it solidly on one foot nearly every time - but her landing position is just so weak and sloppy (Plus, isn't it kind of embarrassing that the 6 ft dude towering over her has a much better line and great extension?)

I kinda hate to say it, but these flexi-moves are really only for women. It must be biological - a revelation of the crotch area to display fertility and desirability. It can't be coincidental that in ballet they usually come in the pas de deux.
    How about male gymnasts: Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3, Picture 4, Picture 5... Nemov is so hot.
    Last edited by Medusa; 06-15-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    But to answer your q: it's schoolgirls who want to be ballerinas, cheerleaders, gymnasts, and figure skaters - ie most girls (at least in my day).
    werent girls in your class that wanted to be models, hairdressers or astronauts?bizarre ...
    Arakawa's move for the hills (for me) is her camel spin and the transition to donut spin.

ah nemov

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    How about male gymnasts: Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3, Picture 4, Picture 5... Nemov is so hot.
    OKAY!!! But how many Alexei Nemovs and (... who's that wonderful Chinese gymnast again?) are there? TWO!

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    werent girls in your class that wanted to be models, hairdressers or astronauts?bizarre ...
    Oh yeah, you're right. I'm from Florida, so duh!

Arakawa's move for the hills (for me) is her camel spin and the transition to donut spin.
    Good heavens, yes. Hers and almost everyone else's. Do they get negative GOE for that? I think they should.

who's that wonderful Chinese gymnast again?
    He is Wei Yang, took the gold medal in individuals.
    remeber anyone the battle between Nemov and Li Xiaos..omething?
    ROHENE WARD
    hello how i ve never seen this guy?
    Last edited by seniorita; 06-15-2009 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkestMoon View Post
    For example, Irina's hydrant is what we'd all agree to be run for the hills. Sasha's hydrant is the ideal, IMHO, being the originator, she's the best at it.
    Besides Sasha, I think Alissa and maybe Kimmie are the only girls who can make this position look OK and "not run for the hills."

http://www.freewebs.com/noarlungaice...nImage_28.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    How about male gymnasts...
    But can you see their tubercula pubica? (Or don't boys have that?)
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-15-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Besides Sasha, I think Alissa and maybe Kimmie are the only girls who can make this position look OK and "not run for the hills."

http://www.freewebs.com/noarlungaice...nImage_28.jpeg
    How about this one?
    http://www.nikodinov.com/Skaters/Bob...images/m13.jpg

Custom Title
    Last edited by MKFSfan; 06-15-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast